The Freshly Shed Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They remind me of the grey South-west Carpet Pythons. Is it a natural colour form? I'm not familiar with eastern carpet python species.
Black and white jungle pythons that have been line bred from unusual original specimens found in the Julatten area of Nth Qld from where they get their name "Julatten Jungle Pythons" They have been selectively bred to develop the black and white contrast. You could do the same thing with the SW carpets if you have the motivation and a spare 20 years.
DSCN4675.JPG

I still prefer the striking yellow of a true jungle python. I have yet to see a Julatten that has a crisp white that isn't muddied with cream and a solid black.

Black and white jungle pythons that have been line bred from unusual original specimens found in the Julatten area of Nth Qld from where they get their name "Julatten Jungle Pythons" They have been selectively bred to develop the black and white contrast. You could do the same thing with the SW carpets if you have the motivation and a spare 20 years.

Were the original specimens black/grey/white, or were they bred to be that colour? Is the Julatten area somehow different to the remainder of Jungle Python habitat? Curious as to how and why some populations have evolved to have an almost total lack of colour like a black and white photo.

In regards to my carpets we'll see how it goes. Breeding high contrast reduced patterned animals wasn't the original plan.

Were the original specimens black/grey/white, or were they bred to be that colour? Is the Julatten area somehow different to the remainder of Jungle Python habitat? Curious as to how and why some populations have evolved to have an almost total lack of colour like a black and white photo.

In regards to my carpets we'll see how it goes. Breeding high contrast reduced patterned animals wasn't the original plan.
The original specimens were black/grey/white but lower contrast, pythons in the Julatten area have these characteristics in varying degrees. Tremain Anderson (used to be on APS) selectively bred them for years and I was fortunate to acquire some very good ones over 10 years ago and have continued the line. It is possible axanthic genetics are involved with the pythons in that area but I do not want to outcross them with all the mongrels that produces to prove it. It is the same with Imbricata, snakes in different districts evolve different colours and patterns, they are almost black on the South coast while inland variations can be like the wild one you posted before and I have some from the Geraldton area that have a lot of green. Here in NSW we have Diamond pythons that are almost black in the south, high yellow in some northern areas and further north essentially the same species are Coastal carpets

I still prefer the striking yellow of a true jungle python. I have yet to see a Julatten that has a crisp white that isn't muddied with cream and a solid black.
No cream in mine even some I have 12+ years of age. Photo of one I just removed from her eggs, she has a rather messy pattern but throws incredible babies.
I like black and golds and had some good ones but got rid of them, too damm aggressive.
IMG_6240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Yellowtail
In person they are probably whiter, but to me even that last photo isn't exactly white, the sides are but not the dorsal patterning. When I think of white I picture a sheet of printing paper, pure white. I don't mind black and golds but the bright yellow and black are still superior in my opinion.

There was a pure white one in a book I saw, can post an image...

I like black and golds and had some good ones but got rid of them, too damm aggressive.
Are the Julattens less aggressive?

Are the Julattens less aggressive?

Generally they are but need regular handling as they can still be defensive, some are real good. My black and golds were like the thing from the alien movies. I don't think this young lady will mind me posting her pic of one she bought.
IMG_1378.jpg

Came home to find these two little guys "freshly shed"

20171117_152352.jpg

20171117_152027.jpg

I just went to check on my little Stimmie, he/she's been in hiding and getting ready to shed since the 16th... Well upon opening the tub, there was a snake poop pile and an entire shed nicely entangled in his/her little plastic lattice jungle gym and a very camera shy but sexy new little Stimmie hiding in the back of his/her light bulb box.
Someone might be hungry when the sun goes down tonight... :)
20171120_163206.jpg

Latest posts

Back