Container for death adders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damo1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
looking at easy housing options for my first ven which I want to get after next year. I know a lot of people vote against them as a first but there is just something about them. I plan on doing a ven handling course. But I was thinking of using this container. Would this suffice for its life time. I'll probably do a glass fronted enclosure as I get more experience but until then what do you think.

IMG_2570.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that'd be alright if you plan on locking it inside a steel gun safe which is then bolted inside a shipping container which is then buried inside a subterranean vault with 3ft thick concrete walls... LOL
That's just my parenting speaking... I've got 2 young daughters. No way I'd have a plastic tub with click-clack locks restraining a death adder. LOL

Venomous snakes are the last thing you want to cheap out on.

You will need a key lock. You will probably need a proper enclosure. I can’t remember what it was but there was a dude who used a holding bin and found a fang penetrating the sides.

A adult Death Adder in that 50L tub will be able to strike from laying motionless to any point on the perimeter faster than you can blink. Only thing more dangerous will be a glass door at face level.
I don't really understand this comment? Are you suggesting they shouldn't buy it because Adders strike quickly?
Elapid ownership 101:
- Don't reach a hand into an enclosure. Ever.
- Don't stand with your face directly in above/front of an enclosure you're about to open.

That tub looks fine to me. It's high walled and they aren't great climbers so with the extra click locks they wouldn't be strong enough to push on the lid at all, let alone with enough strength to force it. Depending what state you're in, if the enclosure has to be key lockable, that adds difficulty though.

Keeping venomous snakes is not something to do on the cheap. Buy proper enclosures with proper locks.
I agree entirely, no second chances with that one... The only way I'd be keeping a death adder in that tub is if it were as described in my original post.

I don't really understand this comment? Are you suggesting they shouldn't buy it because Adders strike quickly?
Elapid ownership 101:
- Don't reach a hand into an enclosure. Ever.
- Don't stand with your face directly in above/front of an enclosure you're about to open.

That tub looks fine to me. It's high walled and they aren't great climbers so with the extra click locks they wouldn't be strong enough to push on the lid at all, let alone with enough strength to force it. Depending what state you're in, if the enclosure has to be key lockable, that adds difficulty though.
My intention was to bluntly point out to Damo1 who admitted that he had no experience with Elapids let alone Adders that they were not to be taken lightly and safe proper housing is very important. I don't know what state he is in but I kept elapids in all sorts of things when it was totally unregulated and learned by experience and in hindsight a lot of luck. I would not consider keeping them today without the best and safest enclosures available with suitable areas or hides to isolate them in when required.

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

I still disagree with the idea that safe and cheap are mutually exclusive concepts but everyone has their own ideology so I don't imagine this forum discussion is going to change anyone's mind.

Safe and cheap means every tom, dick and harry may think that it is a good idea to get a license and tub and away they go. Having to spend money on a decent enclosure and the cost of setting up an escape proof room will hopefully deter the heros that want it on impulse because it is cool.

There's nothing to be gained from keeping a death adder in a plasic tub except a ticket to the last roundup and a skyhigh life insurance premium.

There's nothing to be gained from keeping a death adder in a plasic tub except a ticket to the last roundup and a skyhigh life insurance premium.
For an experienced keeper it would not be so much of a problem. But as a first time keeper looking at keeping one of the more unpredictable elapids I think it is asking for trouble.

Yeah well I have caught wild ones by hand and put them in an impromptu bag made out of my t shirt and taken them home on a bike but we are now in an era when forums like this and lots of books, courses etc are available with information on proper enclosures and procedures. Damo1 may be better off starting with a less dangerous elapid and gaining a bit of experience.

Yeah well I have caught wild ones by hand and put them in an impromptu bag made out of my t shirt and taken them home on a bike but we are now in an era when forums like this and lots of books, courses etc are available with information on proper enclosures and procedures. Damo1 may be better off starting with a less dangerous elapid and gaining a bit of experience.
Damn! I read your posts and seriously build a mental image of you as Jack Palance from city slickers. Lol... I mean that as a compliment! "It's a death adder, I'll just put it in my shirt."
images-10.jpg
I take my hat off to You.

Ditto and think it was the norm years ago. Still pick up Adders, Stephens Bandeds and Clarence River Snakes pretty regularly around here either on the roads or ones that show up in people's yards. I'm 62 and except for Adders I still tail them but unlike years ago have the benefit of using a hook and hoop bag for Adders these days. I also agree that Damo1 would be far better off with a RRB. But, in saying that, I have to admit that I have previously kept Adders (without doubt one of my favourite snakes) and Tigers and a few other dangerous vens including Clarence River Snakes and Coastal and Inland Tias in secured tubs without any issues. Most of my current vens are kept in locked enclosures but I've still got a Collets, Spotted Black and a couple of RBB's housed in secured tubs with all my current vens enclosed in a locked room. Not a problem for someone with experience but not something I'd recommend to someone just getting into vens.

Thanks for the insight and varied opinions I wasn't trying to cheap out but was curious on easier enclosure types. I understand where everyone is coming from and probably will go a red bellied black or some other beginner ven. I've still got a year to organise and think about everything. And I agree that people that get vens to look aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. I've got pythons but they don't do it for me they are a bit boring imo. What do people think about copper heads as a beginner ven???

* to look cool *

Last edited by a moderator:
Tub will be sweet mate .. just dont put big vens in it iv had vens in tubs for over 13 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back