Impact of felines on native birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alichamp

Reaction score
A cat kindly used my son's netted trampoline recently to slaughter a bird and leave it's skull all over the mat, blood everywhere, and the bird still whole except its head.

My poor 2 year old almost found it before I did.

I think cats make great pets...
But if your cat roams into my yard, I won't be sad if the dog gets it.

We live in a semi rural area and all the neighbours let their cats roam.
I recently tried to look up nuecence cat laws.
Weirdly, they're basically protected. It's disgusting.

It's people as always that are the problem.
People choose to allow these animals to roam.
People make rules that make this invasive species permissible to own in Oz.
People can't be bothered to look after their animals any longer and set them free.

While I'm not a cat person I don't blame the animal as it's just doing what comes naturally.

On a side note I read somewhere recently that a million birds are also killed each year by cars.

I still find it bizarre to think people let there cat out and think it's ok . I picture it in terms of a dog
and you don't do that ( let it roam to come back when it's hungry) so why do all my neighbours do it it's there cats ??
I don't blame the cats as said before it's what there wired to do ... I know they sit in the park near me waiting for the wrens to land and in the mulberry tree next door waiting for the lorikeets to land .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of cats that wander into others yards are either not desexed or are strays from my experience...

All 3 of my cats don’t leave our backyard or front yard... yes they hunt and kill birds usually Indian miners luckily,

They get stressed when they are inside and start going bald...

Not really much can be done untill it’s law that ****tards aren’t allowed to let their undesexed cat out so it can go knock up 5odd females in a day leading to more strays

I'm not a cat person but if people want to keep them;keep them INSIDE !!!
I am currently looking after my son's rescue kat till he moves into his new house,it has been inside for 14 years and it will stay inside!
I can't stand imbeciles who think it's okay to let their feral killers loose on small animals.

Last edited:
I have spent many years perfecting my cat trapping skills and now trapping even the most cautious of cats, feral or domestic is as simple a task as brushing my teeth. I was raised from the age of 3 - 21 on a remote bush property in the upper Macleay valley in NSW and my parents HATED cats and that along with my bush upbringing, seeing the impact they have on our native fauna saw me grow up to absolutely despise them and the people who let them free roam. They say cats have 9 lives... well they use them all up in one hit when they run into me, game over, roll the credits.

My latest catch. A big heavy tomcat, a real bird destroyer.
P1000432-1.JPG

I can trap anything, be it dogs, foxes, cats, rats, possums, Indian Mynas, have even trapped blue tongues for the purpose of relocation. Cats however are my primary target. It has been said that currently there's about 23 million feral cats on mainland Australia right now causing the biggest wave of extinction since European settlement.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...al-cats-re-write-the-australian-story/5802204

Do we really need to tar all cats with the same brush...?
I have a big ginger moggie who is desexed, he lives outside all the time. He's a hunter, but the little birds don't interest him, mice aren't worth the effort either. His forte is rabbits, quail, and pigeon. He did bring me home a 4ft brown snake but after being bitten he doesn't touch snakes anymore.
Why would I restrict his territory, when he's doing me a favour cleaning up the rabbit population.

I have a big ginger moggie who is desexed, he lives outside all the time. He's a hunter, but the little birds don't interest him, mice aren't worth the effort either. His forte is rabbits, quail, and pigeon. He did bring me home a 4ft brown snake but after being bitten he doesn't touch snakes anymore.
Why would I restrict his territory, when he's doing me a favour cleaning up the rabbit population.
Because you have only seen what he has brought home, not what he has killed in between the rabbits and quails. It should be caged permanently. Cats DO NOT belong outside!

Last edited:
My German Shepherds generally keep cats and foxes out of my yard and they do not attack wild life even when birds take their food but I have a large block and my bird aviaries are a long way from the house and the dogs are mostly indoors at night. A very smart cat seems so know when the dogs are indoors and is terrorising my black cockatoo aviary, I've seen it early mornings on my cctv and let the dogs out but it hears the door and is gone before the dogs get down there. I've distributed a flyer to the nearest few neighbours advising it will be trapped and disposed of but no answer and it's still coming, looks too well cared for to be a feral. I would like to shoot the damm thing but I think thats illegal. My yard is like a sanctuary for wild life with blueys, red bellied blacks, green tree snakes, possums and lots of birds that co-exist with the dogs during the day, even have peacocks (refugees from a nearby Koala Park) and scrub turkeys visit and they seem to know the dogs are not a threat.

We have awesome laws in the City of Logan in Queensland. If you have a cat coming on to your property whether it being feral or domestic you can borrow a cat trap from the council and place it in your yard. Once caught you ring the council and they will pick it up to deal with it. We also have a regulation that doesn't allow cats to be outside under any circumstance.

We have awesome laws in the City of Logan in Queensland. If you have a cat coming on to your property whether it being feral or domestic you can borrow a cat trap from the council and place it in your yard. Once caught you ring the council and they will pick it up to deal with it. We also have a regulation that doesn't allow cats to be outside under any circumstance.
I wish we had these laws here.I live in the burbs (the tiny remainder of the once huge bush nearby doesn't count as bush) but I still get feral cats here, I keep chooks so get lot's of freeloaders after the seed.The cat's are always killing something,screaming under my house at night and crapping in my frontyard.
I tried mothballs under the house and it seemed to work for a while but they re back again

I wish we had these laws here.I live in the burbs (the tiny remainder of the once huge bush nearby doesn't count as bush) but I still get feral cats here, I keep chooks so get lot's of freeloaders after the seed.The cat's are always killing something,screaming under my house at night and crapping in my frontyard.
I tried mothballs under the house and it seemed to work for a while but they re back again
You can pick up the traps for a couple of hundred. Catch them and maybe take them to your local pound for destruction.

https://traps.com.au/product/csd310-spring-door-cat-trap/

Last edited:
I don't know where you live but it's illegal up here to have your cat outside period. If your cat was outside here and someone reported the fact, it would be confiscated by council, or trapped and destroyed. Toowoomba is full of vigilante cat trappers like myself... They will be caught and destroyed.

I don't know where you live but it's illegal up here to have your cat outside period. If your cat was outside here and someone reported the fact, it would be confiscated by council, or trapped and destroyed. Toowoomba is full of vigilante cat trappers like myself... They will be caught and destroyed.
Toowoomba council laws state that it must be confined to your property, so they are allowed outside, they are just not allowed to roam off your property.

Toowoomba council laws state that it must be confined to your property, so they are allowed outside, they are just not allowed to roam off your property.
No, in Toowoomba, confined to your property means confined inside your house 24/7, they are not actually allowed outside unless confined inside an escape proof cat run that's attached to the house. I reported a neighbour who had his cat outside, the ranger asked me for a time and date stamped photograph as proof so I took one of the cat sitting atop his rainwater tank less than 1m from my carport roof... within an hour the ranger rocked up and bye bye kitty.

Last edited:
It appears that a rising number of councils these days are pushing for stricter laws around cats, such as keeping them indoors, curfews ect. It's not perfect but the education is happening and I think the future is looking better.

It appears that a rising number of councils these days are pushing for stricter laws around cats, such as keeping them indoors, curfews ect. It's not perfect but the education is happening and I think the future is looking better.
The one gripe I have with the council here is that cat owners aren't required to have their cats registered, just microchipped. That is a joke if you ask me considering all dogs must be registered.

No, in Toowoomba, confined to your property means confined inside your house 24/7, they are not actually allowed outside unless confined inside an escape proof cat run that's attached to the house. I reported a neighbour who had his cat outside, the ranger asked me for a time and date stamped photograph as proof so I took one of the cat sitting atop his rainwater tank less than 1m from my carport roof... within an hour the ranger rocked up and bye bye kitty.
Taken from Toowoomba City Council website:
  • provide adequate fencing or an enclosure to confine your cat to your property at all times, or be able to demonstrate to a Council Officer how you confine your cat if you do not have adequate fencing or an enclosure
    • Make a decision about how you would like to confine your cat, taking into consideration budget and other personal factors. Examples of confinement include cat proofing your yard, building an enclosure or confining your cat inside your house eat way of allowing your cat the best of both worlds. It can still go outside but cannot escape your property.

I believe they should be kept inside.

Last edited:
Taken from Toowoomba City Council website:
  • provide adequate fencing or an enclosure to confine your cat to your property at all times, or be able to demonstrate to a Council Officer how you confine your cat if you do not have adequate fencing or an enclosure
    • Make a decision about how you would like to confine your cat, taking into consideration budget and other personal factors. Examples of confinement include cat proofing your yard, building an enclosure or confining your cat inside your house eat way of allowing your cat the best of both worlds. It can still go outside but cannot escape your property.

I believe they should be kept inside l.
Trust me, I've lived here for 15 years, fencing does not confine a cat, have you seen those new cat nets that literally cover your entire house and yard like a big mosquito net?? That's what they're talking about... and nobody does that... so the only containment option is to keep them inside... or in a cat run that nobody builds because of $$$... If your cat is outside your house here, sitting in your driveway, a tree in your yard, your back deck, on your car, without such confinement measures, it WILL get taken away if reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back