Impact of felines on native birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow guys... that's someone's pet you're talking about drowning. I have no issues with setting traps and having the council pick up any cats that are caught, but I feel it's just a little bit 'grab your torch and pitch forks' when members here start gloating about having killed that animal themselves. Not everyone who owns a cat knows the laws in the area and I'd hope having to pay to have the cat released every time you trap it, would be enough to make them keep it inside.

I am completely on board with keeping cats inside.. mine is indoors 24/7 unless going to a wander out the back on a leash, but if she ever escaped, I would hope no one would trap and kill her.

G'day mate, the big problem with cats are... As much as people hate them, they're not stupid animals... they get "trap shy" once trapped... You will rarely if ever, EVER get a second chance at trapping a cat once you've got it once... I have only ever successfully re-trapped a cat once and it took over 12 months and a painstaking effort to totally disguise the trap as a cardboard box inside and out while still being able to function and I had to disable the foot-plate trip mechanism and remotely activate it with about 100m of nylon fishing line attached to a screwdriver... If the irresponsible owners get a second chance by their pets getting returned, and then a week later I find this in my yard because they've just put their cat out again...
20171026_172447.jpg
Where's my second chance?? Doesn't exist...

You get one chance and one chance only.

I'm sorry but that still doesn't give you license to kill someone's pet. And don't get me wrong, I completely understand the impact cats have on our native wildlife, that's part of the reason why I have my cat indoors only, but I still hold the same opinion that it isn't your job to catch and kill.

And also, it isn't the cats fault that it's owners are irresponsible.... education is the key.. well that and better, harsher (humane) laws.

I'm sorry but that still doesn't give you license to kill someone's pet. And don't get me wrong, I completely understand the impact cats have on our native wildlife, that's part of the reason why I have my cat indoors only, but I still hold the same opinion that it isn't your job to catch and kill.

And also, it isn't the cats fault that it's owners are irresponsible.... education is the key.. well that and better, harsher (humane) laws.
And that's never going to happen... Like the jews still waiting for the Messiah. Don't get me wrong, I don't dispose of them myself, not my place, however I don't take them to council who will put up notices etc and all the garbage, I take them straight to a mate who's a ranger and they're scanned for a chip, no chip, euthanised... if they have a chip, they go to the pound where the owner can collect them.

I liken it to the 'only good snake is a dead snake' mentality. But we try to educate those people... not drown them.

I can say that I have successfully changed people's minds about keeping their cats indoors, just by giving them my reasons for doing so and ensuring I educate them when they try to tell me that their cats don't kill wildlife. Maybe you could try that instead of killing a small child's pet.. I dunno, just a suggestion.

I liken it to the 'only good snake is a dead snake' mentality. But we try to educate those people... not drown them.

I can say that I have successfully changed people's minds about keeping their cats indoors, just by giving them my reasons for doing so and ensuring I educate them when they try to tell me that their cats don't kill wildlife. Maybe you could try that instead of killing a small child's pet.. I dunno, just a suggestion.
23 million roaming cats on the continent right now... killing 75 million native animals every single night... I appreciate what you're saying but it's a fool's errand. The horse has bolted, it's time for action.

It staggers me that cat ownership is still legal. We have all sorts of importation restrictions that are designed to protect our native wildlife, and yet we do nothing to curtail the worst one.

Why hasn't a line-in-the-sand been drawn yet? I'm not advocating the destruction of anyone's pet, but compulsory desexing of all cats needs to occur now. That would be followed by a law which bans all cat ownership in 20 - preferably 15 - years time.

It staggers me that cat ownership is still legal. We have all sorts of importation restrictions that are designed to protect our native wildlife, and yet we do nothing to curtail the worst one.

Why hasn't a line-in-the-sand been drawn yet? I'm not advocating the destruction of anyone's pet, but compulsory desexing of all cats needs to occur now. That would be followed by a law which bans all cat ownership in 20 - preferably 15 - years time.
I agree entirely!

Ironic that should someone discuss dogs in the same light, the cat haters would protest vehemently. While the problem of dogs may not be as widespread as cats, it's very real. I don't know how many times I've come across dogs that have killed frogs, lizards, snakes, turtles, birds, small and big native mammals alike - and yet no one cries for their eradication. Dogs may not even have to kill their quarry to have an impact. The so called innocuous activity of dogs chasing animals for "fun" displaces our natives from their home territories, sometimes with dire consequences.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of seeing these types of posts. Most reptile enthusiasts are fully aware of the impact cats have on our native wildlife. Why don't you post your ideas in the cat forums? Now there's some minds that would stand to benefit from learning that allowing their pets to free roam is disastrous for our native wildlife.

And Kev, your posts don't appear to align much with the quote in your signature.

Ironic that should someone discuss dogs in the same light, the cat haters would protest vehemently. While the problem of dogs may not be as widespread as cats, it's very real. I don't know how many times I've come across dogs that have killed frogs, lizards, snakes, turtles, birds, small and big native mammals alike - and yet no one cries for their eradication. Dogs may not even have to kill their quarry to have an impact. The so called innocuous activity of dogs chasing animals for "fun" displaces our natives from their home territories, sometimes with dire consequences.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of seeing these types of posts. Most reptile enthusiasts are fully aware of the impact cats have on our native wildlife. Why don't you post your ideas in the cat forums? Now there's some minds that would stand to benefit from learning that allowing their pets to free roam is disastrous for our native wildlife.

And Kev, your posts don't appear to align much with the quote in your signature.
Oh Yeah? Show me where I've mistreated any animal, cats included.... comparing dogs to cats for wildlife impact is nothing short of a joke. Anyway... the bleeding hearts and Do gooders are the reason this country is in a downward spiral. Cats should be banned outright and then we could begin to think about repairing the damage done.

I regularly get into arguments with people taking their dogs off leash on National Park tracks (they are not allowed even on leash with a $3300 fine) They try to justify it because they have small "harmless dogs" but seem to be unaware that chasing and killing small animals is exactly what these breeds were developed for and lead to the demise of any poor bluey that comes into their yard. My German Shepherds accept the local wild life as part of the family and don't chase anything, even share their food bowl with birds but that is what they were bred for, to protect their family and flock.

I regularly get into arguments with people taking their dogs off leash on National Park tracks (they are not allowed even on leash with a $3300 fine) They try to justify it because they have small "harmless dogs" but seem to be unaware that chasing and killing small animals is exactly what these breeds were developed for and lead to the demise of any poor bluey that comes into their yard. My German Shepherds accept the local wild life as part of the family and don't chase anything, even share their food bowl with birds but that is what they were bred for, to protect their family and flock.
I have had the same argument with people doing the same with dogs here... I was doing a wildlife survey and trapping fish for AFT to document the numbers of native VS introduced species at a lake here in Toowoomba when a retard came right up and let her dogs off leash (prohibited) then abused me when I informed her that her off leash dogs were interfering with what I was doing... Some people are just born stupid I guess... she was even happy to pose while I took her photo to report her. Had a mouth on her like a drunken sailor.
20160219_081135.jpg 20160219_081138.jpg 20160219_081207.jpg
When her stupid dogs got entangled in my lines, she was getting up me... Lol what a nimrod.

Carrying on, I discovered some non-native Murray River turtles... These will be removed.
20161020_153655.jpg
20161020_153705.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back