Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with buying from breeders rather than a pet shop is that breeders often sell their animals within groups whereas someone new to the hobby may not be able to find the animal that they're after and even if they do they do not know who is reputable anyways.

I have bought animals from amazing amazon in the past and they offer pretty good advice, they will help you out after you take it home and I didn't have any issues with health. It may cost more - they are a business after all so they may sell you 'extra stuff', however, this was a better experience than I have had buying from some breeders with ****ty attitudes.
I've suggested more than once a verified recommended breeders list on this site and just received a lot of negative comments. I get a lot of sales from past customers and recommendations but I also openly advertise on Reptile Classifieds (now RDU has closed)

I've never had that problem anywhere. I guess some people are easy marks though and a pushover.. Some people could be talked into buying a $400 kettle because it boils water hotter than a $35 one.
I'm not talking about pushovers, but someone who is looking for their first reptile. They go into somewhere like Amazing Amazon, and think they will get good advice. Along with the reptile they buy, they get told they "need" a hook, thermostat, heat globe, UV globe, thermometer, substrate, etc. All of this for a hatchling python, or a juvenile lizard.
You see where I'm going with this. And this is not a dig at Amazing Amazon, I just used them as the example.

The problem with buying from breeders rather than a pet shop is that breeders often sell their animals within groups whereas someone new to the hobby may not be able to find the animal that they're after and even if they do they do not know who is reputable anyways.

I have bought animals from amazing amazon in the past and they offer pretty good advice, they will help you out after you take it home and I didn't have any issues with health. It may cost more - they are a business after all so they may sell you 'extra stuff', however, this was a better experience than I have had buying from some breeders with ****ty attitudes.

Don't get me wrong I can see why some people go to places like AA and to be honest they are probably the best commercial reptile outlet in Melbourne IN MY OPINION. BUT there are many that are totally irresponsible and a few that have been prosecuted for their 'tardy' practices.
I also agree that it can be difficult for the 1st time buyer to locate a reputable breeder, especially if they don't have anyone close to them that has been in the hobby for a while. That said I think we sell many more animals to 1st timers than to those who have been in the hobby a year or 2. 2nd biggest group would be breeders looking to add new lines/genes into their own stock.
We also get quite a bit of repeat business so I don't think breeders with the attitude you suggest will be around for long though even I can sometimes get pissed off with phone calls at all hours of the day and night expecting an immediate response for advice. Particularly when the animal wasn't even sold by us. We, as most breeders I know offer a FULL after sale support but people should realise that most of us have a life outside of reptiles including families and jobs so we might not be able to respond within 3 mins.

I'm not talking about pushovers, but someone who is looking for their first reptile. They go into somewhere like Amazing Amazon, and think they will get good advice. Along with the reptile they buy, they get told they "need" a hook, thermostat, heat globe, UV globe, thermometer, substrate, etc. All of this for a hatchling python, or a juvenile lizard.
You see where I'm going with this. And this is not a dig at Amazing Amazon, I just used them as the example.
Yeah, no of course, I know what you mean. I guess this is where everyone needs to spend a little time beforehand doing a little research. Believe it or not, I came here and read a lot before I even went to the store and got my 2 little pythons. Loved the click-clack ideas and the simplicity. The best part is, following the advice here on how to keep baby pythons, I've not had any feeding, handling or shedding problems. I've made 1 change to my original setup and that was swapping out my heat mats for a heat cord and tile due to some comments about heat mats posted by Paul's pythons. I did some legwork, which if everyone did, they wouldn't be taken up the garden path by pet store staff. So really, the stores aren't to blame, it's the customer who didn't help themselves to a little free info upfront before walking through the door with an open wallet.

Yes and no. As I said above, there is a pet store in Adelaide that sells reptiles, and the owner will drill potential buyers to make sure they know what they are doing. And most of the time, without trying to flog extra stuff from his own shop. He even gives customers advice after they have bought their reptile.

people should realise that most of us have a life outside of reptiles including families and jobs so we might not be able to respond within 3 mins.
AMEN to that! Sometimes I get emails from contractors doing earthworks that have found a turtle nest 800km away and they want to know right then and there what to do, how to proceed... My work day starts at 2:45am and I generally get home around 3pm... I can't just reply instantly to every call, email, message...

I have noticed an increase in the number of first or 2nd snake buyers but the good thing is a lot of them have done their research and it's not hard to give them advice on things they don't fully understand. Maybe I need to get a life but I have a lot of time and don't mind calls, messages and emails at any time, I've sold many snakes as result of enquiries after midnight, even delivered an albino to a truckie after midnight, met his B Double at a truck stop, and yes he had a licence and experience, just happened to be passing through.

I have noticed an increase in the number of first or 2nd snake buyers but the good thing is a lot of them have done their research and it's not hard to give them advice on things they don't fully understand. Maybe I need to get a life but I have a lot of time and don't mind calls, messages and emails at any time, I've sold many snakes as result of enquiries after midnight, even delivered an albino to a truckie after midnight, met his B Double at a truck stop, and yes he had a licence and experience, just happened to be passing through.
So, if I give you a crash course in turtles, would you be happy for me to divert my phone-calls to you? LOL

I've suggested more than once a verified recommended breeders list on this site and just received a lot of negative comments. I get a lot of sales from past customers and recommendations but I also openly advertise on Reptile Classifieds (now RDU has closed)

That sounds like a great idea for, however, I can also see why some people may not want their contact information always on the internet. I guess its a bit of a tradeoff?

Don't get me wrong I can see why some people go to places like AA and to be honest they are probably the best commercial reptile outlet in Melbourne IN MY OPINION. BUT there are many that are totally irresponsible and a few that have been prosecuted for their 'tardy' practices.
I also agree that it can be difficult for the 1st time buyer to locate a reputable breeder, especially if they don't have anyone close to them that has been in the hobby for a while. That said I think we sell many more animals to 1st timers than to those who have been in the hobby a year or 2. 2nd biggest group would be breeders looking to add new lines/genes into their own stock.
We also get quite a bit of repeat business so I don't think breeders with the attitude you suggest will be around for long though even I can sometimes get pissed off with phone calls at all hours of the day and night expecting an immediate response for advice. Particularly when the animal wasn't even sold by us. We, as most breeders I know offer a FULL after sale support but people should realise that most of us have a life outside of reptiles including families and jobs so we might not be able to respond within 3 mins.

Yeah, there are some pretty dodgy petshops around, I do get the feeling that some sellers are pissed off when they are trying to move on their animals, It sure is a labour of love hobby for most!

I've dealt with amazing amazon a few times and all positive experiences. When I was looking for my first snake I wanted a jungle and they quickly shut down the idea with reasons why and suggested a better species to start with. And they don't try to sell you stuff you don't need. Also when I was looking for a new species to breed but didn't know what they didn't try to get me to buy something new they just suggested I get the opposite sex of what I've got. Most if not all of the employees keep their own reptiles so they know what they do and don't need.

Last edited:
I will check out Amazing Amazons because for a newbie it's a good place to start to find out about the animal itself, stock, food availability and so on.

I will check out Amazing Amazons because for a newbie it's a good place to start to find out about the animal itself, stock, food availability and so on.
As I said mate, I live in Toowoomba QLD, a far cry from Amazing Amazon but have been dealing with them for years. I've bought large bulky aquarium equipment for my turtle setups from them and had it shipped all the way up here and it was still substantially cheaper for me than driving 5 mins down the road and buying the same thing locally. One example, I paid $260 for an external canister filter from them, the very same thing here was $420. They're a top store and we've supplied them with many hatchlings (turtles) and they're a lifetime sponsor of our organisation (Australian Freshwater Turtles.) You won't have any dramas with them.

That sounds like a great idea for, however, I can also see why some people may not want their contact information always on the internet. I guess its a bit of a tradeoff?

Yeah, there are some pretty dodgy petshops around, I do get the feeling that some sellers are pissed off when they are trying to move on their animals, It sure is a labour of love hobby for most!
1 of the problems with this is random phone calls or messages in the middle of winter asking for hatchies...Duh.

Yes it is a labour of love,I am a self employed truckie working 12 hours a day and caring for reptiles after that.The first time I bred I had 140+ beardies and 40+ pygmy beardies,so 2 hours before and after work cleaning,feeding,watering not just the hatchies but the other reptiles as well for a possible return of $50 each is not a profitable industry.
I do it because I love to see the eggs hatch and the babies grow up and also the faces of the children who adopt them.

I do it because I love to see the eggs hatch and the babies grow up and also the faces of the children who adopt them.
I know exactly what you mean.
987-1359504622-82d3eb07ec02fe8aa11ad309e955253a.jpg

Is it against the rules to describe my bad experiences with the above mentioned reputable pet store? Because I'm going to anyway... Mods can delete if they see fit.

We've made many purchases at AA, the staff are friendly and know us by face, but I've not yet purchased an animal from there who hasn't had health problems. Snake had mites, two monitors with MBD and so on... not to mention ants in enclosures and at one stage an adult Bluey and Beardy kept together, constantly biting at each other..

They took no responsibility for the MBD monitors, however did take back the snake and treated it for mites, but it was initially housed with another hatchy and as far as I can tell, that guy and the enclosure were never treated. Also, the advice they have provided has been touch and go... and considering most of the guys there keep a decent amount of animals themselves - it could be better.

I understand they are a commercial business, but honestly, they don't live up to the hype. And I wouldn't ever purchase another animal from them. Each to their own though..

You realise animals don't just catch MBD from being in a store for a week or 2?? Metabolic bone disease is a result of prolonged inadequate husbandry, months/years and depending on the quality of husbandry administeted by the breeders, many reptiles are born with MBD so your mites claim has "some" credibility but as for suggesting a store caused reptiles to develop MBD whilst they were being held there is like saying you caught osteoporosis one weekend when it was raining and you didn't get outside...

For the record, MBD is reversible too, but I find your comment ridiculous to say the least.

You realise animals don't just catch MBD from being in a store for a week or 2?? Metabolic bone disease is a result of prolonged inadequate husbandry and depending in the quality of husbandry administeted by the breeders, many reptiles are born with MBD so your mites claim has "some" credibility but as for suggesting a store caused MBD whilst they were being held there is like saying you caught osteoporosis one weekend when it was raining and you didn' get outside...

For the record, MBD is reversible too, but I find your comment ridiculous to say the least.
Find it ridiculous all you like, this has been my experience with them. The simple fact is we checked both over, they had no signs of MBD, paid and came back a month later for pick up and both had obvious signs. Both were vet checked and confirmed MBD.

And just for the record, they have been treated and are now happy and healthy. I think you missed the point completely though.

Sometimes reptiles don't present with any symptoms for years. I've seen keepers with turtles "suddenly" show signs of shell rot... shell rot doesn't just happen, like MBD doesn't just happen. Your purchases were more than likely born with a deficiency... around breeding season we always start ramping up the calcium in the diets of female turtles to the point where they are eating whole cuttle bones, so the eggs form properly and the embryos develop without a deficiency... a reptile won't develop MBD in a month, sorry.

Sometimes reptiles don't present with any symptoms for years. I've seen keepers with turtles "suddenly" show signs of shell rot... shell rot doesn't just happen, like MBD doesn't just happen. Your purchases were more than likely born with a deficiency... around breeding season we always start ramping up the calcium in the diets of female turtles to the point where they are eating whole cuttle bones, so the eggs form properly and the embryos develop without a deficiency... a reptile won't develop MBD in a month, sorry.

I'm simply giving my experience with that pet store and it hasn't been good. Have you ever been in the store to check their setups or are you just going by what they've told you or their reputation?

Because before I moved back to Melbourne I was uber excited to visit the store and now I have, I can't say I'm impressed.

And don't get me wrong, I've had other issues with other so called reputable pet stores as well... none are really that great IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back