Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t actually state that the OP shouldn’t use AA, just gave details of my experience. The OP is free to obtain advice from whatever source he/she likes, but hopefully will take everything with a grain of salt.
Aces! Although after all This, we've probably totally freaked the OP out and he will settle now for a per rock instead. Lol let's hope not.

Here is a message for the OP.
I think you can plainly see that even with all the experience in the world you can still be caught out by a seller whether that seller be a highly recommended store or a breeder.

I personally choose breeders but I research them before I buy. I go out of my way to build a relationship with that breeder, these are people who live and breath the animals you want to get involved with. Some pet stores breed but even those ones will buy in animals from breeders who are selling a clutch they don't have time/space for. (Or the unplanned breeding from little Jimmy down the road who doesn't really know what he's doing)

In my experience I have met some amazing people, some I have been in contact with for more years than I care to mention. I like Stompsy have on occasion purchased animals to get them out of the 'hole' they are living in, (Sometimes you just need to take a chance). Either way be prepared, quarantine is paramount. Never take risks, research the animal, temps, requirements, and potential problems and make sure you can provide what is required. If you can't afford to take an animal to the vet don't buy it. Sorry to be blunt but sometimes sh1t happens and you need to engage the help of a professional. I get so over hearing of those who can't get the animal to a vet because its too far or too expensive.

Either way....doesn't matter where you get your animal from, do your homework before you go but like buying a used car, sometimes you will get a Lemon, other times you will get a Gem.

Not trying to add fuel but wouldn't you treat for mites in the quarantine process regardless of wether or not it had them in the first place.

Not trying to add fuel but wouldn't you treat for mites in the quarantine process regardless of wether or not it had them in the first place.
Not necessarily, if the animal doesn't have mites there would be no reason to treat for it. Quarantining is just keeping the animal away from other animals and observing for any issues. If an issue does arise then you treat it.

Perhaps take all this off topic stuff to PM's people. A little disappointing and I hope the OP comes back.
As do I. Apologies to the OP for the arguments. Just check and double check any animal you think about buying and also any advice you are given. Good luck and be sure to post many pictures once you’ve obtained your new addition.

Also, ask advice here. There’s some extremely knowledgeable and friendly people who would be more than happy to help.

The OP has been given some good information, including access to reputable breeders if he wishes to take it up. I would imagine he also now understands that it is important to critically assess any supplier, regardless of recommendations. So he is certainly learned something worthwhile from this thread.

I don’t wish to prolong the ‘discussion’, if you could call it that. But very clearly something does not add up! One set of experiences is the antithesis of another – and I am referring to only in-store experiences that were quoted. There has to be a logical explanation for that. What I do know about retail outlets in general is that the store manager sets the tone of a store. This makes me wonder about the timing of these experiences and who was manager of the store when they happened.

A responsible manager a store carrying animal food stocks as well as live birds and invertebrates, let alone the reptile related problems, would not tolerate ant trails inside the store. A good manager also ensures that customers are treated with respect even if they have complaints. A good manager in a pet store informs his staff to refer customers with questions to whoever is the most experienced with that animal group. They also use their staff’s expertise to ensure their animals are kept in good condition, including an appropriate diet (which for monitors includes bone and vitamin D). Same with the manner in which customers were treated.

One set of experiences clearly shows a manager that was not responsible and competent. Yet others indicate the opposite. I would suggest this this is very likely the reason for the conflicting experiences – a change in managerial staff.

I can see you're all very passionate about your snakes and that's great, but please don't fight with each other.

I will take time out to look at AA, but of course if anyone can recommend a breeder I will look there too. Right now I'm studying the books I bought (recommended in another thread I found on this forum) and will keep here through this forum with gratefulness.

Right now I'm studying the books I bought (recommended in another thread I found on this forum) and will keep here through this forum with gratefulness.
Good on you mate, you deserve praise for doing it the right way, educating yourself prior to taking a reptile home. Far too many people take the animal home and then start asking questions...

I had a chick send me a photo of an ELN in her bath tub and she was trying to feed it lettuce... wondering why it wouldn't eat. You will have no dramas. Enjoy the books and let the anticipation build.
All the best. ;)
Ps I apologise and am glad the direction change of this thread didn't upset or deter you.

Last edited:
Good on you mate, you deserve praise for doing it the right way, educating yourself prior to taking a reptile home. Far too many people take the animal home and then start asking questions...

I had a chick send me a photo of an ELN in her bath tub and she was trying to feed it lettuce... wondering why it wouldn't eat. You will have no dramas. Enjoy the books and let the anticipation build.
All the best. ;)

I'm going to invest in the right enclosure this weekend then visit AA and hopefully a breeder or two. I'll likely not buy the animal immediately as I want to handle a few and ask plenty of questions before I make that life long commitment.

As a newb any questions should I ask or what should I look for specifically? I'm looking for a Stimson.

See if you can get a feeding and shedding record card. Both my spotted and stimmie came from a local pet store and the breeder provided both the record cards which the store passed onto me at the purchase, just allows you to see the snake's hatch date and progress. Choose the animal you like the most, everyone has different tastes...when I chose my spotted, I chose the snappier fiestiest one because it was the blonde phase that I wanted however when I chose my stimmie, they were all the same (appearance wise) but a couple were really snappy so I went with a quiter calmer stimmie. Both have settled well and are eating and shedding like a dream.

What I mean although didn't specify was if you got a snake from a shop or show wouldn't you treat for mites anyway. From the breeder direct may be different but due to so many people there that may be carrying mites (vendors and consumers at shows and customers at pet shops)

What I mean although didn't specify was if you got a snake from a shop or show wouldn't you treat for mites anyway. From the breeder direct may be different but due to so many people there that may be carrying mites (vendors and consumers at shows and customers at pet shops)

Could that be harmful to the snake if it doesn't have mites though?

I haven't done this I was just wondering for future purchases cause I've bought seemingly perfect snakes but have been struck twice with mites and hate them so was thinking maybe this could be an option?????

Both from reptile shows.

I guess another point to make @Ben_StKilda would be don't be overly judgemental of a snake's temperament at the store... a snake in a pet store is not likely to be well settled... I had my eye on my spotted for a couple of weeks prior to taking it home and on 3 separate occasions while visiting the store, the staff had it out so prospective customers could buy it... that spotted could have been handled 10 times a day....snakes don't enjoy that... the day I took it home, it had been 26 days since it last ate, no surprise at all... day 19 after coming home, it shed then fed.and has been eating every week since without missing a beat and shedding every 4 weeks. Basically, a cranky snappy snake at a store can easily be a well behaved snake once settled into a proper routine so don't get discouraged too quickly by a first impression. Take into account the situation of where the animal is, high traffic, plenty of gawking and excessive handling all equal stress. Pythons are extremely paranoid especially when young, building some confidence and trust with them goes a very loing way.

this is why you quarantine! do the job right the first time and you have no problems later.My son swapped a python with someone else and ended up having mites in 4 separate enclosures. Months of stuffing around because of trusting other people.

Nope. You would only treat a snake for mites if it presented with mites. That’s why you quarantine every animal before introducing it to your collection.

I guess another point to make @Ben_StKilda would be don't be overly judgemental of a snake's temperament at the store... a snake in a pet store is not likely to be well settled... I had my eye on my spotted for a couple of weeks prior to taking it home and on 3 separate occasions while visiting the store, the staff had it out so prospective customers could buy it... that spotted could have been handled 10 times a day....snakes don't enjoy that... the day I took it home, it had been 26 days since it last ate, no surprise at all... day 19 after coming home, it shed then fed.and has been eating every week since without missing a beat and shedding every 4 weeks. Basically, a cranky snappy snake at a store can easily be a well behaved snake once settled into a proper routine so don't get discouraged too quickly by a first impression. Take into account the situation of where the animal is, high traffic, plenty of gawking and excessive handling all equal stress. Pythons are extremely paranoid especially when young, building some confidence and trust with them goes a very loing way.

Thanks. Very good point.

@Damo1, Stompsky is spot on the money. As the saying goes… “If it ain’t broken, then don’t fix it!”

@Ben_StKilda, while you may think quarantine is not needed for your first snake… it is. Keep it away from anybody else’s reptiles and keep other people’s reptiles away from your snake. [Ref post #97 by dragonlover1]. When you are ready to acquire your next reptile, make certain you fully understand the procedures required for proper quarantining of new acquisitions. [Please note the use of 'reptile' and not just 'snake'.]

@dragonlover1, Sounds like you found out the hard way how mobile reptile mite (Ophionyssus natricis) are. You have to do every reptile and every enclosure and flea bomb the room. A follow-up treatment is advisable just in case there are some nooks and crannies where eggs might have been laid but the fumes don’t reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back