Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ben_StKilda, while you may think quarantine is not needed for your first snake… it is. Keep it away from anybody else’s reptiles and keep other people’s reptiles away from your snake. [Ref post #97 by dragonlover1]. When you are ready to acquire your next reptile, make certain you fully understand the procedures required for proper quarantining of new acquisitions. [Please note the use of 'reptile' and not just 'snake'.]

I don't own any other reptiles and no-one else I know does so that will be easy to do

I don't own any other reptiles and no-one else I know does so that will be easy to do
Just a quick bit of advice
From stompsys post about getting mites from AA, I would recommend visiting a breeder before visiting AA, you don’t wanna ruin someone’s private collection with mites that takes a while to get rid of.

Pinefamily, you lot seem to have this little saying here... "photos or it didn't happen." Well, lay them on me.. or did I miss something?? Perhaps this doesn't apply to certain people?
Ok if it will appease you, Prof M and @Scutellatus ...

Editing posts after the event to take a cheap shot is not a good look, especially since the whole thing was dealt with, and everyone else has moved on. Using a line that is often used on the forum in a light hearted manner is also not a good way to get your point across IMO. This thread turned rather serious for a few pages.
So, in a belated answer to my post, you are indeed calling me out on the facts. Well let me tell you, we certainly did exchange messages about the MBD. In fact we often discuss reptile care at length, as we all want to provide the very best care for our animals. I don't need to, nor intend to, provide any proof of our discussions on the MBD.
You have had some rather fiery exchanges with some of the other members since your joining, but you need to spend the time and go back and read all of my posts. At no time have I lowered myself to such a level as to take part in such petty arguments. And that certainly includes the post you replied to after the event.

Last edited:
@Ben_StKilda, Thought I might explain more fully. The mite species we were talking about is a dark, dot-sized ecto-parasite that infests snakes and used to be called the Snake Mite. However, it has on rare occasions been found on lizards, and so is now often referred to as the Reptile Mite. A shame really, because it can create confusion with the other common mite species occurring on many lizards, which are not nasty. At least the latter are readily distinguished by their orange or red colouration.

Could that be harmful to the snake if it doesn't have mites though?
When done as it should be, getting rid of mite is NOT at all harmful to a snake.
However, if a snake with mites has been kept in an enclosure, then it is a very laborious task to get rid of them. Unfortunately these critters are like aphids where females can lay eggs and build up the population without a male. They are also very mobile and given to spreading out.

One final point. If you have any suspicions that a snake you have purchased may have mite and don’t feel confident in assessing lifted scales etc., then place it in a tub in a shallow bath (tepid - not warm or cold) for half an hour. The mite drown and if present will be evident as small blackish dots in the water. Examination under low magnification will reveal the legs if they are mite.

Pinefamily, I was actually out mowing on my elderly parent's property and on the phone yesterday as this thread was going down and didn't even see one of your posts or another by Imported_tuatara, (which I had no problem with). As my day starts every morning at 2:45am, just after 4 I was re-reading the thread and saw some things I missed so I edited my post, big deal, the way you perceived that is your own business, everything may have been very well dealt with in your opinion because you got to have your say... There was no cheap shot from my part at all, I was simply asking for proof of these so called inappropriate husbandry conditions from the time, (I believe that's fair enough) that were alleged, that ultimately led to a named business causing a person's reptiles to develop what I can only describe (going by the description) as a new form of rapid onset MBD. Anyway, we, well I at least can certainly agree to disagree with you and if you wish to place me on your ignore list, I'm happy for you to do so.

I wish for us not to be combatants so feel free to PM me if you have anything further to say.
Kind regards.

@Ben_StKilda, Thought I might explain more fully. The mite species we were talking about is a dark, dot-sized ecto-parasite that infests snakes and used to be called the Snake Mite. However, it has on rare occasions been found on lizards, and so is now often referred to as the Reptile Mite. A shame really, because it can create confusion with the other common mite species occurring on many lizards, which are not nasty. At least the latter are readily distinguished by their orange or red colouration.

When done as it should be, getting rid of mite is NOT at all harmful to a snake.
However, if a snake with mites has been kept in an enclosure, then it is a very laborious task to get rid of them. Unfortunately these critters are like aphids where females can lay eggs and build up the population without a male. They are also very mobile and given to spreading out.

One final point. If you have any suspicions that a snake you have purchased may have mite and don’t feel confident in assessing lifted scales etc., then place it in a tub in a shallow bath (tepid - not warm or cold) for half an hour. The mite drown and if present will be evident as small blackish dots in the water. Examination under low magnification will reveal the legs if they are mite.

Thank you for that very useful information, but now I'm hesitant to even consider AA :(

So far I haven't found any Victorian breeders though either.

@Ben_StKilda, still try AA if you can't find a reputable breeder. I'm sure they do have some quality animals, but everything that has happened on this thread will just show you the importance of properly observing a new arrival. You could always get your new reptile checked out by a vet, and there are plenty of people on this forum who are willing to help.

...but now I'm hesitant to even consider AA :(

So far I haven't found any Victorian breeders though either.
Pauls_Pythons is a reputable breeder who has offered to put you in contact with other reputable breeders in Melbourne. Yellowtail is in the same boat, although in Sydney, but would likely also likely know of reputable br5eeders in Melbourne. [My apologies to anyone I omitted who contributed to this thread.]

DO go to AA. I think that it is an important to do for a couple of reasons. You don’t know who is managing the store at this time and that will have major repercussions on your experience. Secondly, it will help you to learn to be discerning when you go to any reptile outlet.

My suggestion would be to go to AA without your wallet but do not tell them that. Have a good look at not only their reptiles and how they are being kept but the other livestock and conditions in the store. Look for any faults or shortcomings. Then tell them what you are after and assess how much pressure is applied to you to buy now and whether it includes non-essential items or not. It should be an excellent learning experience and hopefully that will enhance your confidence in dealing with others.

Thanks everyone for the advice and offers of assistance :) I'm still waiting for my license right now (I can't believe in 2017 I had to post it in with a cheque)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back