Newbie with a Stimson

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchRTD

Reaction score
hey guys,
I brought my very first snake about almost two weeks ago. It’s a Stimson, I can’t remember how old it is but it’s young. I just have a few questions.

How long does it usually take for them to adjust?

Mines a bit nippy less so now then when I first got it. I’ve been sitting next to the enclosure and putting my hand in there so it gets used to my scent but when I go to pick it up it becomes defensive and strikes sometimes.

How long after feeding does it take them to defecate?

I fed it just over a week ago and I assumed it should have passed by now.

And lastly, is it in shed? And how long does the procces take? I’m sure I saw it’s eyes milky one day and then a day or so later they weren’t.

Any help would be great!!

Welcome to the forum.
Where did you get the snake from? They obviously didn't give you any tips or advice. Did you do any research before getting it?
Bringing a new snake home means leaving alone for at least a week, giving it time to adjust. No handling, feeding or anything. Just change the water. The snake will be defensive otherwise.
What have you got it in? If it is a young juvenile, it is better off in a plastic tub rather than an enclosure; it will feel less threatened.

I feel like an old man but How can I add a photo haha

When you type a reply, there is a button next to "post reply"; click on "upload file" and away you go.
And I am an old man. :)

Welcome to the forum.
Where did you get the snake from? They obviously didn't give you any tips or advice. Did you do any research before getting it?
Bringing a new snake home means leaving alone for at least a week, giving it time to adjust. No handling, feeding or anything. Just change the water. The snake will be defensive otherwise.
What have you got it in? If it is a young juvenile, it is better off in a plastic tub rather than an enclosure; it will feel less threatened.

I do have it in an enclosure and it spends most of its time in its hide. I got it from amazing amazon. I was more so told how to feed it and the temperatures should be.
Should I get a small tub instead?

If it is a juvenile, it probably is better off in a tub. Did they sell the enclosure to you as well, just out of curiosity?
It will settle down in the enclosure, it just might take more time.

Most people on here keep their juveniles in Sistema brand tubs, with the blue catches. A small heat mat under a third of it provides the heat. You just need to put some air holes in it.
This is a good read on how to do it.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning.93266/

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a juvenile, it probably is better off in a tub. Did they sell the enclosure to you as well, just out of curiosity?
It will settle down in the enclosure, it just might take more time.

They did, I went in a couple of weeks before I picked him up and spoke to an older guy (can’t remember who) and he seemed to know his stuff and didn’t upsell me on stuff I didn’t really need. I asked the questions I had at the time and he was honest. He told me to get the enclosure that I did end up buying because it would save me buying a larger one later on. Although when I went to pick him up the guy I felt with seemed very green with dealing with snakes and what they needed. He tried to upsell on a bigger enclosure and fancier things I was previously told weren’t needed.

Also I don’t think the browser on my phone is letting me upload photos. Is there an app?

The enclosure is fine, whether you use it now, or down the track. If you go with the plastic tub (or click clack), you will find the snake will settle down sooner. But if you decide to keep it in the enclosure, people on here can help and give you tips on the best way to go about it.

Well he shed and defecated over night so that eliminates those two questions.

What time frame am I looking at for him to settle in the enclosure?
If it’s going to be a far bit longer I will go and get the stuff I need for container idea this week end

How long is a piece of string? There's no set time frame, but you can help by putting extra hides in the enclosure, and rocks and branches for it to hide behind. If you crowd the enclosure with stuff at least for a while, it should help to calm it. Give it longer with little handling except for cleaning, feeding, and changing water. After a few weeks, start to put your hands in the enclosure when the snake is out and about, without touching it. That way the snake will get used to your hands.
This will work, but will be slow. Be prepared for the occasional defensive bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back