Help with a Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonTemple6

Reaction score
IMG_2769.JPG IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2748.JPG

Hi, I just picked up my new carpet python from her previous owner yesterday. He advertised her as a 2 year old Darwin Carpet Python X Jag, but when I went and signed the movement forms and everything, he'd written her down as a 2 year old Coastal Carpet Python. I've attached a few photos, does anyone know if she is a Coastal?

The photos he used were obviously old ones in that she looked much smaller in her cage than she does now (which is a 4ft x 1.5ft x 1ft) and which she is now longer than (I'd estimate her length around 1.30 metres to 1.40 metres). The tank is way too small for the poor thing, so I'm going to build a wall unit to take all my snakes.

My main question is how big should an enclosure be for a snake that could reach 3m?

If I'm going to build a wall unit that houses them, I would like to build it with her full size in mind so I don't have to build another cage a few years down the track, but am unsure as to the best size for such a large snake. I've heard plenty where they'll live in a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft tank (it sounds a little small), but I'd like to give her a good roomy home where she can be for the rest of her life.

I do take my snakes out often for run time, and I even have a paddling pool set up outside for playtime and climbing fun, but I would love to give her a great home.

My Stimson Python, Azula, is already full grown at about a metre, so I know the perfect cage size for her is about 4ft x 2ft x 2ft, and she seems perfectly content in that sized tank, but I'm not sure about a tank for a snake that could grow to about 3m.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
AF1QipPH71pLkPYERSIy1OUJJZdMJYQtcj6DGtCdF_vT

Thanks! It's good to know that that is what she is. She did look a lot like the Coastals but I thought I'd better check.

In my opinion it doesn’t look like a coastal or a darwin x jag.

I only say this because the underhalf doesn’t look like any coastal i’ve Seen, however I could be wrong :)

uploaded photos

I’m aware different snakes from different breeders can look different. But in MY opinion it looks off for a coastal, could possibly be coastal x something but yea

Last edited:
It looks like a coastal, but unless you know the parentage, you will never know for sure if it is crossed with anything else.

Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help. I've got a few ideas now on what her cage should be and thanks for all of you who say she looks like a coastal, at least I now have a good idea of what she might grow into.

That is what a standard wild type coastal looks like @Bl69aze.
In the picture you uploaded, is that what you think a coastal should look like?
What do you mean “is that what you think?” The picture I uploaded is a coastal... MY coastal.

What do you mean “is that what you think?” The picture I uploaded is a coastal... MY coastal.
I know that is your coastal. Is that what you think a coastal should look like? Keeping in mind you stated that the OP's picture doesn't look like a coastal to you.

I know that is your coastal. Is that what you think a coastal should look like? Keeping in mind you stated that the OP's picture doesn't look like a coastal to you.
Yes but as I said I know they can vary. Aswell as the pattern doesn’t seem right to be pure coastal. But again, it can vary.

I still think it’s a mix

Yes but as I said I know they can vary. Aswell as the pattern doesn’t seem right to be pure coastal. But again, it can vary.

I still think it’s a mix
Your coastal looks more like a cross breed than the OP's. The OP's picture is an accurate representation of a coastal without any selective breeding. Just as nature made them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back