The Freshly Shed Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dajarra local in some new skin

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few 1000 K's and a few million years since MD's and SW's had a common ancestor? The Gammon Ranges carpets are probably the common ancestor but someone who knows more about genetics may know.

SW's have a distinctive head and pattern (not unlike Gammons), as do Darwins (big cheeks), Jungles (distinctive pattern) and Coastals (longer slimmer head). It can be hard to tell from photos but I know that one of Oshkii's is a SW as she's in WA and posted it before. Diamonds, MD's and Centralians have distinctive patterns and features as well.
Obviously mixed breeds complicate things but there are almost no mixed SW's. A lot of the albino "Darwins" actually have mixed Coastal blood as when they became available a lot of people were already keeping Coastals and hardly anyone had Darwins, the owners are unaware.

Last edited:
SW's have a distinctive head and pattern (not unlike Gammons), as do Darwins (big cheeks), Jungles (distinctive pattern) and Coastals (longer slimmer head). It can be hard to tell from photos but I know that one of Oshkii's is a SW as she's in WA and posted it before. Diamonds, MD's and Centralians have distinctive patterns and features as well.

Only one of my snakes is a S.W. Carpet Python?

Last edited:
Beautiful Carpet kittycat but not a SW.

Yeah I don't know about that. Had a mate that was over in SA near the WA border last year and again this year who showed me some pics that were almost identical to that one of kittycats. He got another from central SA that was very similar as well. They get the name imbricata from the word "impricate" which relates to the overlapping colour pattern. Head patterns of all the Morelia spilota group can vary even within a given area, same with head shape and size.

Only one of my snakes is a S.W. Carpet Python?
My bad grammar, I was trying to say that one in the photo was a SW. I assume because you are in WA you will only have WA animals.

Yeah I don't know about that. Had a mate that was over in SA near the WA border last year and again this year who showed me some pics that were almost identical to that one of kittycats. He got another from central SA that was very similar as well. They get the name imbricata from the word "impricate" which relates to the overlapping colour pattern. Head patterns of all the Morelia spilota group can vary even within a given area, same with head shape and size.
The inland variation of imbricata can be very similar to the Gammon Ranges type and some SA MD's but Kittycats MD is supposed to be from the Northern end (Djarra) of the types range.
All Morelia Spilota are genetically almost identical and there are physical variations in all sub species. I was generalising how to pick the typical sub species, I have a lot of Darwins that I have gone to a lot of trouble to authenticate their different origins and they all have the same distinctive heads, quite different from my Imbricatas and Jungles, I no longer keep Coastals but they definitely had longer heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my comments derive from wild specimens that I have either observed personally or been located or photographed or collected by friends and it appears to me that no matter what the location they all display a variety of morphological characteristics including the head shape. Seen plenty of what's referred to as "coastals" with big boofy, fat heads. In fact the two that I spoke about in another thread have boof heads.

@Yellowtail I think there was some confusion.... I was asking if my girl looked like a Dajarra MD not like a Sourh western carpet
I was asking @Prof_Moreliarty when I made the comment in regards to his MD pics posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I picked that up later Kittycat, sorry for my confusion, your post came directly after Oshkii's SW with similar colours.
Some inland SW carpets are very similar in appearance to the Dajarra MD's no doubt due to similarities in the localities.

Latest posts

Back