Looking for breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and asking a few setup questions. I'm now ready to find a new friend.

Anybody know of breeders on the Central Coast? I am there over Christmas and it seems and ideal time to pick up my first snake.

Otherwise breeders in the Wagga or Canberra area

What reptile are you looking for o.o

Edit:never mind.

Nope the person I know only does t+ Stimson pythons now and they go for 2-3,000

Last edited:
I'm in a Northern Sydney suburb not far from Central Coast and will have a few albino Darwins available soon for around $500 each or Hets $150
I'm looking for a smaller python as my first snake - but they sound amazing

yellowtail, I’m thinking of getting a Darwin carpet, not a abino as much I would love one just don’t have the money. How do Darwin’s handling and all that?

Something smaller is good but not a Jungle as they can be aggressive. Pure bred albino Darwins do grow to 2m but they are generally very placid and good to handle making them suitable for a beginner.
I was planning on something from the Antaresia family

Something smaller is good but not a Jungle as they can be aggressive. Pure bred albino Darwins do grow to 2m but they are generally very placid and good to handle making them suitable for a beginner.
It's been our experience that the albino's are more placid than the normal Darwin's. Our two albinos are very calm, whereas we've had two hets in the past that were some of the snappiest snakes we've ever had. One holds the record in our house for strikes; as a juvenile, it struck me 17 times in the time it took my wife to clean the click clack.

Hi,

I'm now ready to find a new friend.

Anybody know of breeders on the Central Coast? I am there over Christmas and it seems and ideal time to pick up my first snake.

Otherwise breeders in the Wagga or Canberra area

Just a couple of things I would like to add that haven't been mentioned.
  1. I can understand with a "cheaper" animal, (please excuse me but I can't think of a nicer way to say it), that freight might not be something you want to deal with or pay for. Having said that most breeders offer very reasonable freight costs, (we actually lose money on freight more often than not but we absorb that ourselves). I just think its better to find the right animal more than limit yourself to the local market.
  2. Also better for you if you decide on the right species for you before you start looking for breeders. You could be swayed into a decision that you later regret. Buying a species you are passionate about means you can do lots or research and get yourself well prepared before you commit. There are plenty of Anterasia that can be a pain to feed and can be a bit nippy too. Don't discount animals on the say so of others, Diamonds,(most morelia), Woma's and even BHP's can be excellent starter animals.
  3. If you buy on the central coast but live in the ACT I think you are going to need an import permit, (and an export permit for the seller). How are you travelling from the Central coast back home? If your travel is by plane you will need to book your new animal in as freight. If by car you need a suitable container for the journey.

There are ad
I was planning on something from the Antaresia family
What about Peter Birch from Colourful Critters? He's got great Antaresia, and is based on the Central Coast. I'm biased, but I think Ants make great starter snakes. :)

There are ad

What about Peter Birch from Colourful Critters? He's got great Antaresia, and is based on the Central Coast. I'm biased, but I think Ants make great starter snakes. :)
I have tried contacting him but no response so far

Just a couple of things I would like to add that haven't been mentioned.
  1. I can understand with a "cheaper" animal, (please excuse me but I can't think of a nicer way to say it), that freight might not be something you want to deal with or pay for. Having said that most breeders offer very reasonable freight costs, (we actually lose money on freight more often than not but we absorb that ourselves). I just think its better to find the right animal more than limit yourself to the local market.
  2. Also better for you if you decide on the right species for you before you start looking for breeders. You could be swayed into a decision that you later regret. Buying a species you are passionate about means you can do lots or research and get yourself well prepared before you commit. There are plenty of Anterasia that can be a pain to feed and can be a bit nippy too. Don't discount animals on the say so of others, Diamonds,(most morelia), Woma's and even BHP's can be excellent starter animals.
  3. If you buy on the central coast but live in the ACT I think you are going to need an import permit, (and an export permit for the seller). How are you travelling from the Central coast back home? If your travel is by plane you will need to book your new animal in as freight. If by car you need a suitable container for the journey.
Its not that I'm against freight, I've looked at it as an option. However this being my first snake I wanted a more personal experience of picking, there is only so much you can know from pictures on the internet.

I have really already settled on either a Stimson or Spotted. At this stage I prefer the smaller snakes, I have done a lot of research on what is required for them etc and think they would suit me best.

I live in Wagga and haven't been able to find any local breeders. I am on the coast for holidays and figured with a larger population I would have more luck finding a breeder there. I will be traveling by car and already have already made arrangements for a snakes comfort during travel.

Importing from another state is something I have also looked at, I saw some beautiful little Stimson's in Melbourne when I was there a month ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you called Colourful Critters? Another option is Kellyville Pets - only about 40 minutes away from the Central Coast. They have great staff (just avoid their hatchling starter kits) and great equipment for okay prices (except their rodents). They do not sell Stimson's, but sell Spotteds. All animals there seem healthy.

Have you called Colourful Critters? Another option is Kellyville Pets - only about 40 minutes away from the Central Coast. They have great staff (just avoid their hatchling starter kits) and great equipment for okay prices (except their rodents). They do not sell Stimson's, but sell Spotteds. All animals there seem healthy.
Not yet, I have only tried online enquiry and through Facebook. I will give him a call closer to when I am going up. Will check out Kellyville as well

Not yet, I have only tried online enquiry and through Facebook. I will give him a call closer to when I am going up. Will check out Kellyville as well
You will probably have to call him - I don't think he checks Facebook regularly.

If you go to kellyville try to get Ben Desson (?)to help.

Their animals are good condition and their suppliers include some highly trusted breeders in the Facebook reptile groups so you can expect good quality animals. The only downside to kellyville is they try sell you too much for what you need like what scutellatus said “hatchling starter kit” which you can put together elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

But I’d give kellyville a high review depending on the staff that helps :p

If you go to kellyville try to get Ben Desson (?)to help.

Their animals are good condition and their suppliers include some highly trusted breeders in the Facebook reptile groups so you can expect good quality animals. The only downside to kellyville is they try sell you too much for what you need like what scutellatus said “hatchling starter kit” which you can put together elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

But I’d give kellyville a high review depending on the staff that helps :p

I totally agree with This
Ben is head of the reptiles sections and is absolutely lovely and helpful, there are a few other staff members in the team and all have been very helpful and knowledgeable

I myself own a Murray darling from kellyville pets and she is lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back