QUESTIONS ON SHE OAK SKINK. HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's really good of u to rescue it and look after it, risking a fine.

To take this species from the wild requires a scientific permit which is not likely to be granted under the circumstances.
Not sure if anyone in Tas would be breeding these as pets as they are a commonly found species apparently

• People who hold a Herpetology Permit must not collect or keep more than six adult specimens of any allowed species, or collect any allowed species from any reserved land, unless they also hold a Scientific Permit.
  • Species Authorised by Herpetology Permit
    Reptiles
    Bassiana duperreyi Three-lined skink
    Cyclodomorphus casuarinae She-oak skink

• People who hold a Herpetology Permit must not collect or keep more than six adult specimens of any allowed species, or collect any allowed species from any reserved land, unless they also hold a Scientific Permit.
  • Species Authorised by Herpetology Permit
    Reptiles
    Bassiana duperreyi Three-lined skink
    Cyclodomorphus casuarinae She-oak skink
So they are permitted to keep with a license?

To answer her original questions on care, hotspot should be 30 - 32 degrees, with cool end of down to 23 degrees. Humidity should not be high, but they enjoy a light misting every week or so. Their diet is similar to that of blue-tongues, though I'm not sure they can eat dog food. Snails and non-poisonous salad veggies should be fine. If it is stressed, I would provide it a dark, small hiding spot rather than a cardboard box. If the skink is bleeding from the tail, dip the tail in flour. From the image, the skink seems to have plenty of fat reserves, so do not stress it by feeding too soon. Try in maybe one or two days. Best of luck with the she oak!

Hey Emmalee,
Hope u got this sorted out, if not message me and I can help you out, I'm in Tas
It's not as daunting as it seems, pretty simple really.

@Emma. It is appears evident to me that it was more than just the tail of the lizard that was injured. This species has the ability to drop its tail (autotomy) if attacked by a predator and to make an escape whilst the wriggling dropped tail provides a distraction. The fact that it is not active and endeavouring to escape is indicative of more significant injuries than just its tail. Its abnormal posture also indicates internal injuries. (Personally, I don’t fancy its chances based on what I see and you have said.)

It would definitely be better off in the hands of an experience Wildlife Carer. As I have no idea what part of Tassie you are in, best to contact their central office… Nature Conservation Branch: 134 Macquarie Street, Hobart. Phone: (03) 6233 6556

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Pauls_Pythons. I wonder if you were thinking about the Alpine She-oak Skink Cyclodomorphus praealtus? I still sometimes struggle to remember Cyclodomorphus casuarinae is now the Tassie species and not the mainland species. Habits developed over a life-time die hard. Lol.

Last edited:
@Emmalee Second what Bluetongue said, but if you really want a She Oak Skink, you can apply for a herpetological permit, and get one legally for $100 to about $350. Are you 16 and over? Otherwise you will need your parents/guardians to do the paperwork.

@Emmalee Second what Bluetongue said, but if you really want a She Oak Skink, you can apply for a herpetological permit, and get one legally for $100 to about $350. Are you 16 and over? Otherwise you will need your parents/guardians to do the paperwork.
You can NOT purchase reptiles in Tasmania. They are to be either collected or traded for free.

You can NOT purchase reptiles in Tasmania. They are to be either collected or traded for free.
Whoops... sorry. But there are ways you can get one legally. It's on the species list. Good idea in TAS, though. Discourages people from trying to make money off them.

Yes but they would be the Victorian locality wouldn't they?
Does anyone know if we are able to keep Tasmanian reptiles here on the Mainland.

Yes but they would be the Victorian locality wouldn't they?
Does anyone know if we are able to keep Tasmanian reptiles here on the Mainland.

The only locality of these in Victoria that I'm aware of is the Alpine She Oak which is on the critically endangered list.
So even if they could get reps from the mainland, (thats another story), this species wouldn't be going anywhere I think.

The only locality of these in Victoria that I'm aware of is the Alpine She Oak which is on the critically endangered list.
So even if they could get reps from the mainland, (thats another story), this species wouldn't be going anywhere I think.
I didn't mean she could get one just seeing which locality Spotted was talking about. Also I meant can we keep reptiles from Tasmania on the Mainland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back