what to put in outside tank?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported_tuatara

Reaction score
so i have recently gotten(though unexpectedly) a 6 foot tank, and i've been told i've had to put it outside with no power, what do you guys think?(personally don't think it's a good idea.) live in ballarat victoria, so gets below 0 at times and up to 50 at other times, though rare.

not into plants, lol. was thinking some frogs or garden skink, only problem is there's basically no one with them so i'd have to catch a few wild ones and start breeding them, sad not many people are breeding the smaller skinks, some of the most beautiful and unique reptiles we have imo.

not into plants, lol. was thinking some frogs or garden skink, only problem is there's basically no one with them so i'd have to catch a few wild ones and start breeding them, sad not many people are breeding the smaller skinks, some of the most beautiful and unique reptiles we have imo.
Yeah I have to agree with you,I think most people see them everywhere and are just oblivious to them.

Breed your own crickets or woodies. Woodies would be the easiest, and you could sell extras to local keepers.

so i have recently gotten(though unexpectedly) a 6 foot tank, and i've been told i've had to put it outside with no power, what do you guys think?(personally don't think it's a good idea.) live in ballarat victoria, so gets below 0 at times and up to 50 at other times, though rare.
50 degrees! Which Ballarat are we talking about here, is there another one in the Simpson desert or something? The highest ever recorded temperature that I can find for Ballarat is 44 degrees.

I'd really like one... but don't know any breeders.

I would love one too but without having the right environment and adequate food supply there is little point in me even thinking about it. My understanding is that they don't do well in captivity at the best of times and they eat a phenomenal amount of black ants every day.

apparently they only eat a certain type of ant which is a big problem trying to find food
Not that I'm an expert but that is my understanding. Its 1 species of black ant, (No idea how many species of black ant there are).
I have seen a successful colony established in Alice, it was wonderful to see but would be very difficult to replicate in many places in Oz, particularly in winter. (Can't see me having any success in Melbourne)

I would love one too but without having the right environment and adequate food supply there is little point in me even thinking about it. My understanding is that they don't do well in captivity at the best of times and they eat a phenomenal amount of black ants every day.
Up to 5000 ants a day I believe.

I'd never keep one without the right foods, but it'd still be high up on my wish list. :)

By the way, they don't eat just one species of ant, but rather black ants from two seperate genera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if started straight from the egg whether they could be converted to termites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back