How to prepare live plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samthesnake

Reaction score
Hi i have purchased some Spanish Moss for my spotted python and was wondering how it should be prepared before it is put in his enclosure.
Thanks Sam

Spray with water and hang up? That's all I have done. What is your concern with it?

I usually soak live plants in water for a few minutes before putting them in.

Spanish moss is an airplant, and it has always been fine in enclosures in my experience. Humidity can be an issue with misting them, so when watering, remove it and do it elsewhere.

It baffles me as to why one would think that a plant carries bacteria which is going to harm a snake. I’ve yet to witness any reptile spraying the plants and branches where it lives with Dettol to make them safe.

OK, there are some things in nature you want to avoid in the confines of a cage where the occupants cannot get away from them. One of these is their faeces, which is why we clean it up. Then ant nests and fungi just about round out the list. Ants can attack the soft, moist tissues of the vent, inside nostrils and under the edge of the eye, causing damage. Fungal spores under natural conditions are rapidly dispersed by the breeze. However, in an enclosure, some fungal species may produce spores in high concentrations and these can act as a respiratory irritant.
Spanish moss is an airplant, and it has always been fine in enclosures in my experience. Humidity can be an issue with misting them, so when watering, remove it and do it elsewhere.
Excellent advice, well explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back