squirrel glider help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported_tuatara

Reaction score
so i have a large birdcage/small aviary (roughly 5 feet high, 4-5 feet in length, and 3-4 feet wide.) and am wondering if i could have squirrel gliders in it? are they solitary? are they too large?

I loved my squirrel gliders.

They live in colonies the same as sugar gliders.
Be weary of two males together as they may get along one day and beat the poo out of each other the next.
Best to have all females or one male and some females.

You'd probably only want 2 animals in that size cage, and would still want to get them out for excercise. They are incredibly energetic and would definitely prefer more room...or at the least, time out to excercise more.

Mine used to climb my curtain rails and glide to me if I said "come here!"

Beautiful animals.

I think the only benefit to sugar gliders over the squirrel gliders is that they are smaller, the rest is pretty interchangeable.
They might also be easier to find.
I'd suggest buying female squirrel gliders before the male as it can be very hard at times to find girls, and if you've already bought a male, he may be alone for some time.

Personally I love the squirrel gliders for their incredible tail over the sugar gliders, but both are gosh darn gorgeous sweet animals.

My most tame squirrel glider was an old aviary bred male. He was meant to be a young female with a Joey but I was sent the wrong animal.
He warmed up to me over about a month without really trying, and ended up constantly snuggling in my hoodie. He was so lovely. I was devastated when he passed away.

Another consideration is their smell and marking habits.

If inside the smell can be quite strong even with regular cleaning (and too much cleaning will make them mark more).
It can be highly offensive to some. I didn't love it but it was okay, my husband hated it.

The males will also continue to mark when you let them out. I'd follow him around cleaning it up, but again, hubby hated it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can you buy native gliders in vic? We might be moving to Victoria next year and plan to get a sugar glider at some stage, but I have no clue where to buy them (did some research and didn't find much)

well there's only one place i can find squirrel gliders and are $500 each, so i don't think that'd be a good idea.

along with there being a waiting list so i may have to wait several months before being able to get another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope they legalise sugar gliders in NSW with the Native Animal Keeping Legislation changes...

There were female sugar gliders advertised on gumtree about a week ago but the ad has now been removed. They were $350. I really really wanted one.

@smitti is also on a waiting list with a breeder but we still don’t know how long it will be before we are offered a pair from there either.

Liverpool pet shop sells full sized squirrels I think it is :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back