Baby smooth knobtail gecko not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyNoIdea

Reaction score
So i have baby going on 16days and from what i have seen still has not eating
Doing some research and reading what i can find some say 5 to 10 days b4 they eat
But mind is over that and starting to worry abit
I have try small crickets and small woodies
On sand with 2 hides one hot end 31 and one cold end 25 temps
Hatchie is active everynite and digs in sand
Plus looks like it is going into shed now
So just after people's thoughts with more experience than me thxs

I'm not familiar with geckos, so anything I say is of a general nature.
Is this a gecko you've bred, or bought?

I bred the gecko and other egg got mouldy and didnot hatch
I did read that baby geckos have the egg yolk sag thats why it takes sometime to start eating plus it did hatch early 65days roughy
Look just asking the question because it us hard to find info and most say hatching care same as adults which is not that helpful

Last edited:
Im no gecko expert, but some snakes only eat after their first shed, so maybe your gecko will eat after its first shed too?

Wait for it to finish going in to shed and then offer food. As it hasn't been eating make sure it's well hydrated. Baby lizards that aren't eating can dehydrate very easily. Provide an area of moist sand and every couple of nights make sure to give it a spray so it drinks. How's the fat reserves in its tail?

It should have already shed. They will usually shed within 24hrs of hatching. It is possible that you missed the shed and the hatchy ate it.
Is that a photo from the internet or one of the actual hatchy? It looks like it may be an albino.

It should have already shed. They will usually shed within 24hrs of hatching. It is possible that you missed the shed and the hatchy ate it.
Is that a photo from the internet or one of the actual hatchy? It looks like it may be an albino.
No thats my hatchly 17 days old i posted so the person asking about fat storage in tail can see and yes it is an Ablino produce from 100%hets male an female

The fat stores on tail look like the same as when born

View attachment 322217

It still looks alright. Nephrurus geckos tend to hunt primarily with sight. Seeing as it's albino it may be having trouble seeing its prey. Next time you feed your gecko observe its actions. Is it attempting to stalk and pounce on the food item? Or is it ignoring it entirely?

Ignores it but if woodie or cricket runs into the gecko it jumps like it was a total surprizes
So is it common for albinos to have eye problems ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back