New reptile coming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you mean i thought he was looking up
[doublepost=1513126479,1513126385][/doublepost]hey Oshkii is the droopy eyes normal
I can say I never noticed it on the ones I have worked with, but then again I don’t think I would have noticed it, unless someone pointed it out

hey Oshkii is the droopy eyes normal

I've noticed sometimes Western Netted Dragons can get a similar look, where their eyes slightly bulge and stare skywards. It tends to happen with particularly nervous individuals when being handled. Once they relax their gaze returns to "normal". It's not exclusive to sand dragons either as I've seen this in Western Bearded Dragons and Frilled Lizards to some extent. But as I don't know the situation it could be something entirely different.

would this be life threatening to him im just worried about his eyes as i have never owned one i hope they clear up when i get him

would this be life threatening to him im just worried about his eyes as i have never owned one i hope they clear up when i get him

I'm sure your eyes would bulge too if you were being man handled by a potential predator a million times your size. But as I said, I don't know the situation.

Oshkii what do you mean you dont what the situation is
[doublepost=1513136551,1513136520][/doublepost]it could be dehydration maybe ?

I’ve seen this happen with some species of wild caught dragons that appear to 'play dead' to escape once captured. The eyes roll back, the whole body stays still and goes somewhat limp, you tend to relax your grip, then all of a sudden they ‘come back to life’ and bolt or struggle violently to get away. I don’t know if it is related to that, but it might. Either way, as Oshkii suggested, it is likely due to the dragon being ‘nervous’ (i.e. feeling somewhat stressed). If it is not used to being handled, that would be enough to stress it a bit.

Size-wise it looks good. Adult SV length is 10 – 11cm in these guys.

In nature, like other sand dragons, this species basically breeds and then dies. However, in captivity their average life span is 5 years or so and occasionally a bit longer, as stated.

but he is a captive bred and she is a reputable breeder if its healthy and active then the droopy eyes are just probably like a (deformity cosmetic issue) like the skin was stretched when he was younger but i wont effect the health an life span of the animal
[doublepost=1513138557,1513138470][/doublepost]he doesn't look like hes been handled much

Your critter looks fine to me. I wouldn't be too worried.

You are one step ahead of me - good. The only thing I perceive as 'not usual' is the eye being rolled upwards to stare into space. As has been pointed out, this is most likely the result of the dragon not being comfortable about being handled. It should not be the case when the lizard is freed in its enclosure. That is something only bluedragon can ascertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back