New Snake Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaganEliza

Reaction score
Hey, I have a newbie snake owner question. I've had my Diamond for a couple of weeks now, I've attempted to feed him a couple of times now, however I haven't had any success. I haven't handled him at all, only doing water changes every now and then. The conditions within his enclosure are optimal so I don't think that's the issue. The staff at the store I bought him from said they were feeding him fuzzies, so that's obviously what I've been trying to feed him. But I have my doubts, the mice they gave us were twice the width of thickest part of his body, is that too big? The food I offer is fully thawed and heated by putting the mouse in a zip-lock bag and submerging it in warm water, (just a precaution if he's fussy about wet prey). He looks interested in the mouse, he will put himself in a striking position and also put his head right up to it as if he's checking it out, but he won't take it. I feel as if he's not attempting to take it because he thinks it's too big for him to eat, but I haven't had enough experience to ultimately rule out the issue. Sorry for this insanely long post! Would be great if I could have some advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Your python isn't coming into shed is he? How do his eyes look? Is he hiding away a lot?
Without seeing your python, I would say fuzzy mice should be fine in size. Have you tried feeding at different times of day?

@pinefamily His eyes look clear, no signs of coming into shed from what I can see. He isn't hiding away at all and I've tried feeding him during both the day and night.

Is it possible they meant fuzzy rats? How old is your snakey?

Once they go rats they never (from my experience and what I’ve been told) go back to mice.

Here is a picture of my python taking a rabbit. He barely struggled and could prob take bigger! This is the size of prey (scaled down for your baby)I like to go by weight rather than girth, I do MINIMUM 20% of snakes weight for regular growth to 40% for a fast rate

Could you try adding pics? :)

free unlimited image hosting

Last edited:
@Bl69aze They definitely didn’t mean fuzzy rats. They included a couple of months worth of food when I bought him, the same bloke that told me he was being fed fuzzies was the one who gave me the mice. Apparently he's around 5-6 months old, I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. I'll definitely weigh the little guy at some point and start going by weight rather than girth :)

lol i have more than a few pythons here that would disagree with that statement @Bl69aze. do you think your CP will now refuse rats because he's had a rabbit? :)
Nope, I just have been told from the day I got my coastal that snakes prefer rats over mice and won’t go back and from what I have seen with my
Own snakes and what others have told me, it seems to be true. I believe its the smell is a lot stronger on rats.

I plan on going back to rats fortnightly and giving a rabbit every 3~ months With a 1month gap between his next feed. Soon he will be big enough for only rabbits

on the contrary i have seen lots of people with problems moving cp's on from mice to rats i have a about 7 pythons here that will gladly take an unwanted xl mouse and have been on rats for years.
Ok I’ve seen pythons not move from mice unless you scent the rats, but it’s weird to me that it would take a mouse after it’s already been on non scented rats

@Bl69aze They definitely didn’t mean fuzzy rats. They included a couple of months worth of food when I bought him, the same bloke that told me he was being fed fuzzies was the one who gave me the mice. Apparently he's around 5-6 months old, I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. I'll definitely weigh the little guy at some point and start going by weight rather than girth :)
Pythons can take meals larger than you would expect. They can take up to three times their head width with ease and have been known to take prey larger than that. As Pinefamily said just persevere with what you are doing and don't stress, your snake will be fine not eating for a couple of months if that is how long it takes.

Diamonds can be a pain in the @rse at that age. I have had the fun of force feeding a hatchie for 16 months in the past. Never turned a feed down once it started eating.
I know you say your set up is optimal but please check........

Hot spot around 35 (I provide heat 24/7 for animals at this age)
Cool side 22/26
Low traffic area
Optional hiding spots at both Hot end and cool end. (If the animal is in the hide spot place the food at the entry)
Do you offer food on tongs (They can be timid and easily threatened)
Does the animal have a place to climb (If so put the food at the lower level directly below them)
Once you put food in the enclosure leave them alone (If you watch them they will be more interested in you)
Try braining the food before you put it in.

There is a more comprehensive list of things you can try on this thread...........
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/my-snake-wont-eat.220560/#post-2501210

@Pauls_Pythons His heat is on 24/7 and it's always around 33 degrees, The cool side is around 25 degrees. It's a very low traffic area and he has hides in both the hot and cool ends of his enclosure. I've tried offering it to him with and without tongs, I also put the mouse in his enclosure last night underneath the spot he always hangs out, It was left there overnight but with no luck. Next time i'll make sure to brain the mouse, hopefully he'll find that more appetising.

@pinefamily Thank you, I'll be sure to try that :)

Some say cut the nose of the mice and try, never done this but idk, also if you at have temp gun, try get the mice to 35 or something a little hot

Some pretty dodgy advice in here.
You’ve had your snake for two weeks. Just leave him completely alone for two weeks, then try again. He’s still settling in.
Pythons can go months without eating with no problem.

@Pauls_Pythons His heat is on 24/7 and it's always around 33 degrees, The cool side is around 25 degrees. It's a very low traffic area and he has hides in both the hot and cool ends of his enclosure. I've tried offering it to him with and without tongs, I also put the mouse in his enclosure last night underneath the spot he always hangs out, It was left there overnight but with no luck. Next time i'll make sure to brain the mouse, hopefully he'll find that more appetising.

@pinefamily Thank you, I'll be sure to try that :)

For a Diamond this seems way to hot. They should not be given 24/7 heat as this will lead to various health issues (such as Diamond Python Syndrome). You probably only want that 30-33 degrees on for 3-4hrs a day. I keep the rest of the tank at room temp (usually around 21).

Try buying the next size down. My diamond refused an ‘appropriate’ sized meal in favour for something smaller. He also seems to have a preference for mice (they smell worse than rats)
[doublepost=1513332284,1513332116][/doublepost]Also!
My 1.5 year old Diamond just came out of an 8 month fast. Hasn’t lost condition and is now very happy to chomp down on mice. A couple weeks won’t hurt him- especially if he’s only new.

Some pretty dodgy advice in here.
You’ve had your snake for two weeks. Just leave him completely alone for two weeks, then try again. He’s still settling in.
Pythons can go months without eating with no problem.

I just love how someone comes in all critical. A little unfair to say advice given to date has been 'dodgy' as you so kindly say.
I have sold heaps of diamond hatchies and NEVER had one not eat when relocated. If the animal was an established eater it shouldn't just go off its food when moved.

For a Diamond this seems way to hot. They should not be given 24/7 heat as this will lead to various health issues (such as Diamond Python Syndrome). You probably only want that 30-33 degrees on for 3-4hrs a day. I keep the rest of the tank at room temp (usually around 21).

Try buying the next size down. My diamond refused an ‘appropriate’ sized meal in favour for something smaller. He also seems to have a preference for mice (they smell worse than rats)
[doublepost=1513332284,1513332116][/doublepost]Also!
My 1.5 year old Diamond just came out of an 8 month fast. Hasn’t lost condition and is now very happy to chomp down on mice. A couple weeks won’t hurt him- especially if he’s only new.

While I would never consider myself an authority on diamonds I have been keeping them for around 15 years now & breeding for 5 so I do believe I have some idea as to what I'm talking about.
Its not too hot for a diamond. Even my adults have a hot spot of 33-35 though the hours are reduced. (They will bask on 40 degree days in the wild)
24/7 heat is given to all my hatchies until they are established feeders. In the case of some problem feeders this has been as long as the 2nd winter though normally its only done during the 1st winter.
As this animal is being fed something so small as fuzzie mice we can assume its one of last years hatchies and it hasn't been eating for a considerable time. (Or its a very early animal from this season and again hasnt been feeding) Either way the animal is obviously NOT an established eater based from the information available.

You mention DPS and if I remember correctly those temps/hours of heat were advised to you on this forum by myself and a couple of other's who have experience with diamonds. They are appropriate, for an established animal. This one needs to get used to eating so the idea is to artificially increase its ability to digest so it can be fed 3-4 meals in a short time period to get it to a stage where it is established.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back