Spotted python eggs need help or advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonhunter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have the incubator set as follows 32 degrees and humidity I have between 80-90 I check them so often so when I got home from work the eggs looked like this I grabbed a old tooth brush and got most the mould of I have candled them and I still see their little veins I am just worried any advice or help will be appreciated
62e7888af72154f4e14a8fe606b963fc.jpg

I never wet the eggs when I got the mound of I used a dry soft toothbrush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the incubator set as follows 32 degrees and humidity I have between 80-90 I check them so often so when I got home from work the eggs looked like this I grabbed a old tooth brush and got most the mould of I have candled them and I still see their little veins I am just worried any advice or help will be appreciated
62e7888af72154f4e14a8fe606b963fc.jpg
Sorry but they look beyond help, how long since laid? I incubate all mine over water without a medium and if you sterilise everything you never get mould that way. 32 degrees is ok if it is the maximum but it is a bit high if your thermostat lets temp go higher before switching, mine are set at 31 but with a variation of only .5 of a degree.

Mine sit in a plastic basket over water with humidity at almost 100%, you sterilise everything in boiling water before putting eggs in and in theory nothing to encourage mould growth, been doing it for over 10 years with hundreds of eggs and never lost one. Happy to help you in future but too late for these eggs. Not sure how you get so much mould but, as a kid I used to collect wild lizard eggs an incubate them in an ice-cream container of sand in the bathroom and they all hatched ok.
Photos show some of this seasons eggs hatching.
DSCN6008.jpg IMG_0153.jpg DSCN6007.jpg

So what do you eggs sit in
I just have the perlite as a bedding it’s not wet I have the water in the bast of the incubator

They look like they've had all the moisture sucked out, im no expert on incubation medium but wont DRY perlite dehydrate them no matter the ambient humidity??

They look like they've had all the moisture sucked out, im no expert on incubation medium but wont DRY perlite dehydrate them no matter the ambient humidity??
You are spot on, long time since I've used perlite but you have to mix it with water however with the no medium over water system the eggs are resting on a dry surface but non absorbent and you have 100% humidity.

What other mediums are out there

Thanks wasn’t sure I have used perlite and vermiculite before but it was wet I never set this up and didn’t want to disturb this

Last edited by a moderator:
What other mediums are out there

Thanks wasn’t sure I have used perlite and vermiculite before but it was wet I never set this up and didn’t want to disturb this

Premium quality Perlite is sterile and PH neutral but you have to have the right mix with preferably sterile water. I changed to the other method because it is risk free and 100% consistent and predictable.

I just use moist vermiculite with turtle eggs weight ratio 1:1 vermiculite and water. Too easy... 1 small hole in two corners of the lid on the container and away you go, aim for a humidity of 80%-90%. Set the incubator to 28° with a 1-2° fluctuation and all will be well... That's turtles, snakes are most likely a different story.20150105_161712-1.jpg 20150105_161726-1.jpg 20150112_151329-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back