Beardie ate cricket quencher. Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofoula88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my bearded dragon has consumed a small amount of a crystal gel gutload or what i assume is a cricket quencher. I buy Pisces crickets and inside are blue/green crystal cubes. When feeding he bit into the cube and swallowed a small piece before i could rip it away. Ive been reading horror stories and am a little worried. Should i be concerned? Will it expand in his stomach, should i give him water or not. Please advise asap. Thanks

I read that the crystals expand with water which is what i assume they are to keep the crickets hydrated. Possibly have calcium. Dnt think they're ment for consumption. Hence my worry
[doublepost=1513422744,1513422671][/doublepost]
Given your dragon was going to consume the cubes contents indirectly anyway I couldn't see there being too much of a problem.

What are the horror stories you speak of?
Crystals expanded blocking respiratory functions. Impaction etc.
[doublepost=1513422843][/doublepost]I could be wrong though i just wanted to know if anyone else has had their beardie consume one of these blocks

1 little piece isn't going to do anything... it's not like your Dragon ate half a kilo of it...

1 little piece isn't going to do anything... it's not like your Dragon ate half a kilo of it...
If it was the water gel I assume she was thinking of it could definitely cause impaction even if it was a small amount. When dry it will absorb an amazing amount of liquid, swelling to many times their dry size, which would cause severe dehydration and impaction.
The ones in with the crickets are already soaked so they won't swell much more than what they have already.

Hey mate it's not like in the cartoons where Wile E coyote is crushed by an ACME boulder.... 10) ACME DEHYDRATED BOULDERS (from SCRAMBLED ACHES - 1957) - Tiny boulders in a packet. Just add water and the boulder will instantly return to its original size... Lol
COYOTE10+-+SCRAMBLED+ACHES+(57).png

Hey mate it's not like in the cartoons where Wile E coyote is crushed by an ACME boulder.... 10) ACME DEHYDRATED BOULDERS (from SCRAMBLED ACHES - 1957) - Tiny boulders in a packet. Just add water and the boulder will instantly return to its original size... Lol
View attachment 322283
You are correct, it isn't a cartoon.
That is why it very important to give correct advice and not have a 'she'll be right, it didn't eat half a kilo' attitude.

It was a she'll be right situation though... no point overreacting when the situation doesn't require it.

It was a she'll be right situation though... no point overreacting when the situation doesn't require it.
What I said was not an over-reaction, it was in response to your comment that it needs to eat half a kilo which is not correct and I believe to be bad advice.
When it comes to an animals health it is imperative that we give correct information so that this member and anyone else who happens to read this in the future can deal with their situation appropriately.

The problem is you took the half a kilo literally... common sense would suggest that I didn't mean it literally... take it easy cobber.

The problem is you took the half a kilo literally... common sense would suggest that I didn't mean it literally... take it easy cobber.
When giving advice on the health of an animal everything needs to be said literally or not at all.

When giving advice on the health of an animal everything needs to be said literally or not at all.
Not everyone is that square. Long story short, she'll be right and he she is right and shoulda coulda woulda doesn't matter now.

Unfortunately we have to be careful with what we write, as it can be so easily misconstrued. Without the inflections of speech, and facial expressions that go with them, a simple piece of advice could turn into a personal attack, as an example. Different backgrounds, ages, even genders, can all affect how someone interprets what we write.

OK, I was careful and clear... the amount consumed was not a risk at all.

I did like the Wile Coyote picture though. The Warner Brothers cartoons are the best ones, in my opinion.
Ah yes, the good old cartoons certainly have it over the crap that's called "kid's programs" today. My father-in-law is 55 and still sits down and watches the old Warner Brothers cartoons and laughs hard. My dad is 71 and still watches the Flintstones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back