Handling Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm offended... LOL Did you see the news last night?? A ridiculous story about how we can no-longer use the words "fat" or "obese" I believe the correct terminology is "above average healthy weight." Oh how the mighty have fallen.. The nation is fast becoming a country of over sensitive idiots.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...e/news-story/d3105a9d76ca65821722d769f415ec2b
I don’t know what news you’ve been seeing, but the whole world is becoming full of them ;-;

I don’t care if I indirectly offend someone ... (not you, just in general) if I called someone fat and someone else got blamed they can get screwed..

Especially the upcoming generation of feminism and lgbtq group where if you slightly offend them by misgender because you didn’t call them a he when she’s 100% a she, they will ruin your life and go to court for “harassment” and stuff... it’s really scary, you have to be 100% sure what you’re saying.

I don’t know what news you’ve been seeing, but the whole world is becoming full of them ;-;

I don’t care if I indirectly offend someone ... (not you, just in general) if I called someone fat and someone else got blamed they can get screwed..

Especially the upcoming generation of feminism and lgbtq group where if you slightly offend them by misgender because you didn’t call them a he when she’s 100% a she, they will ruin your life and go to court for “harassment” and stuff... it’s really scary, you have to be 100% sure what you’re saying.
I don't normally watch the news at all because it's just garbage but yeah I caught the tail end of that story waiting for another program to start and couldn't believe it... haha, he she, it or that! Black white, skinny or fat. To hell with political correctness.

Anything to be said about handling outside of *active* hours. As i said previously my guy is nocturnal, im feeding him at night when he is active so trying to handle him during the day. Is this more/less likely to make him stressed.

Also ill be attempting to swap to fuzzy rats tonight, ill let you all know how it goes!

I agree, my guys are fed at night and if I notice they're out in the day, I'll take them outside for 10 mins of handling in direct sunlight. This morning I had all my baby turtles out in the sun so my Stimmy got a bit of sun with me while I had a coffee.
20171220_123847.jpg

my Spotted python was curled up in its hide so I didn't disturb it.

[doublepost=1513743512,1513743425][/doublepost]
I'm offended... LOL Did you see the news last night?? A ridiculous story about how we can no-longer use the words "fat" or "obese" I believe the correct terminology is "above average healthy weight." Oh how the mighty have fallen.. The nation is fast becoming a country of over sensitive idiots.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...e/news-story/d3105a9d76ca65821722d769f415ec2b

So what are the Drs now using? I thought the medical term is obese. I'm fat, I have no problem saying it. :p

I wouldn't, however, fat shame people.

Anything to be said about handling outside of *active* hours.

Mine are handled when it suits me TBH.
If I want to clean I'm going to clean and if that means I'm disturbing Mrs I'm a Hungry BHP (Her nickname is Godzilla!!) then unlucky for her because shes coming out whether she wants too or not.
If I want/have time to take pics of hatchies for example I just go grab them and off to the garden we go.

Might be worth trying to tap train with the hook or a tube if your going to keep feeding in the viv now, so the snake knows it’s not feed time and just the sign of the tongs means it’s feed time, most snakes respond well to tap training , you may get the odd psycho snake that doesn’t agree and wants to damage that too

you definitely stand more chance getting nipped putting the snake back in the tub/viv after feeding As most are are still in feed mode, much safer to feed in its own home

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So ive offered him the fuzzy rat. Smashed it in about 7 seconds no surprise there.

But idk if he can eat it. He had it all wrapped nice and at the head but it just seema to big. Hes let go of his bite (still wrapped) and is now inspecting tryng to figure out how to eat it.
Its gotta be near twice the size of his head. He keeps taking it just behind the snout so not perfect. If he did go perfect then maybe he would get it but geez i dont think he is gunna be able to eat this thing.

I reckon at his widest he is about half as wide as the rat.

Edit: hes got it perfect now. Amazing he actually stretched it out to make it thinner. Absolutely fascinating experience this. Im taking snaps but **** light and camera

Edit2: after some insane twisting and pulling he is just about over the head. Im a bit concerned still that he is going to regurge this. Im trying to take pics but god dam my phone camera sucks

Last edited:
Yep he just finished it! Took him about 20 mins once he got past the head, was very difficult for him at first. Amazing how he used his body to twist and pull the rat so it got longer and thinner. The photos are unfortunately taken with my phone so they look crap. Ill try get em on here anyways.

Yep he just finished it! Took him about 20 mins once he got past the head, was very difficult for him at first. Amazing how he used his body to twist and pull the rat so it got longer and thinner. The photos are unfortunately taken with my phone so they look crap. Ill try get em on here anyways.
I was sceptical when I was told a snake with a head the size of a thumb could smash a rabbit, I said no way, he explained that they make their food into a “noodle” and can easily take it then ;p

Here’s my Hypo img boa she’s 2 next April smashing her small rat, looks like she’s gonna break her neck sometimes the way they twist it to pretend to stop it breathing

My Peruvian bcl decided to wrap round the branch aswell

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s my Hypo img boa she’s 2 next April smashing her small rat, looks like she’s gonna break her neck sometimes the way they twist it to pretend to stop it breathing

Speaking of a twisted neck . . .

There's kill - and then there's over kill. Striker, you're trying too hard to kill an already dead mouse!

Overkillaps.jpg

Man that proper looks broke ,[emoji4] it’s pretty funny when they strike it that hard,
amazing markings on striker, what sort of python is it, sorry if I seem a bit thick, don’t really see many Australian snakes in uk well only common ones[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was sceptical when I was told a snake with a head the size of a thumb could smash a rabbit, I said no way, he explained that they make their food into a “noodle” and can easily take it then ;p
Yeah, as a kid growing up on a bush property, we regularly had hens go missing at night, thought there was no way it could be a carpet python until we caught the big serpent in the act one night... a whole Rhode Island red chicken... I started to worry about my German Shepherds at that point... I was only 8 years old. LOL

I just last night moved my Spotted python (11 months old) and Stimmy (12 months old) up from hopper mice onto weaner mice... They (the pythons) both have tiny heads but low and behold after 10 mins both the weaner mice were gone. It's just one of those things you don't believe until you see it with your own eyes.

If you want overkill, you should see our yellow spotted monitor in action; you have to be quick to shut the glass when feeding because he absolutely goes nuts flinging the dead mouse around. The other day I fed him a couple of day old chicks. Looked like a crime scene when he was done, blood splattered up the enclosure wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back