Cooling the rat shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond_Dan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got some good ideas for keeping my rat shed cool. Its a 3 x 3 colorbond garden shed. Cream in color. 1 whirly bird. Made some screen doors which are only closed in storms. We usually run a pedestal fan during summer but they burn out and arent to power friendly. Anyone used solar fans? Im in Bundaberg. Just was interested in what people do. Thanks

Has anyone got some good ideas for keeping my rat shed cool. Its a 3 x 3 colorbond garden shed. Cream in color. 1 whirly bird. Made some screen doors which are only closed in storms. We usually run a pedestal fan during summer but they burn out and arent to power friendly. Anyone used solar fans? Im in Bundaberg. Just was interested in what people do. Thanks
If you’re willing to spend the money you could set up an aircon with a filter system to kill the ammonia aswell, 2 birds with 1 stone, id imagine the door would help but not completely

Or frozen water bottles in all the tubs

A shade cloth frame over the top and around the sides would reduce the heat considerably. Then if you were really keen a garden misting system on top and around the sides between the shed and shade cloth.

If it has any windows or glass doors?? replace them with Low-E heat reflective glass. It's awesome stuff, works both ways, in the winter it'll help keep the warmth in, in summer, it lets the natural light in but reflects the heat. Plant some shade trees around the shed. Natural shade from a tree/s will make a huge difference.
Rather than a pedestal fan, look at putting in a ceiling fan (if practical - don't want to be decapitated). The ceiling fan in my reptile room runs 24/7 this time of the year.
Evaporative cooling fan/s could be utilised.. 1 or 2 (1 on either side of the shed) could be installed, these draw air from inside the shed and force it out. We have these at work, dozens of them approx 1m in diameter and they work great. I imagine you could get them smaller than that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back