Convincing Parents to let me have pet snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhoulGecko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post and I'm just going to ask for some advice. I have been trying for months now to convince my parents to let me have a snake. It was actually the first reptile I asked for. My Mum was okay with it at first but my Dad hated the idea.

I have asked everyone i know of options and tried everything but they just won't give in. What should I do?

Cheers.

Welcome! Can't help though :p Good luck

Some people just don't like snakes. I have a friend that I rarely see just because she is now married to a man who has such a phobia of snakes he has to leave the house if the word snake or python is used or a photo shown and he has never been to my house because I keep snakes. He is of English background but his brother lives in Southern NSW on a country property infested with tigers and red bellied blacks and has no such issues. (he doesn't visit there either)

Tell them about the responsibilities and how you have done research (which I hope you have) to give it. A good life. Tell them they are fairly low maintenance and you will pay for everything. This is what I did for my 2nd

Thanks guys. My dad is of English background too so he hates them. I've done research and tried multiple techniques to convince them but nothing works. They barely even listen to me anymore.

Hi GhoulGecko,
Is it because your dad dislikes snakes? If so I agree with yellowtail in that his mind might not be changed, some people can't get over their fears. However, you could try getting him to handle a snake, to show that they aren't as bad as he thought. That's what turned my mum around :)
I would also recommend getting a well paying job if you don't have one already, as it'll be easier to convince them if they don't have to pay for anything!
If your dad won't budge on the snake, maybe look at other reptiles instead? Perhaps a blue tongue or bearded dragon.

what i've done: several yeas of research and have showed them such, have said i will do all the work and pay for it all, even going as far as to show i have enough money, say i'll get a burrowing species that they'll never see, and hundreds(or at least 50) other things, nothing, they won't spend 5 minutes even trying to learn about them either, until i move out no hope of having them in the house, or even outside.
[doublepost=1514592283,1514592106][/doublepost]also, maybe a small monitor if you can't get a snake? closest relative to snakes.

Keep trying - be persistent. You really have to show them you're doing your research. Rather than tell them, try and let them notice on their own how dedicated you are. You'll lessen your chances if you keep bugging them, but bring it up every now and then just to show them it isn't a passing phase. Like the members above have posted, be aware of the commitments involved, and at the same time try and (gently) educate your parents on how easy they are to keep. If they really, really will not allow a snake, another reptile may be amenable to you. Try and figure out what aspect of the snake they really aren't comfortable with (e.g mice in the freezer) and work towards changing their mind about that. Best of luck! :) It took me an entire year to finally convince them, and several months after that to "prove" my commitment.

the what aspect they are okay with thing you said- for me that is impossible, i've tried such over 50 times, they just say i don't need to know why. D:

I agree with spottedpythons. First find out what it is they don't like about having a snake. Electricity bill, space, simply scared of them? Each of these problems would have a different resolution.

Show them why they are so fascinating, I just love the way they move but also...shedding, feeding (might turn off some people) they dont blink and sleep with their eyes open!! The way they feel (not at all slimy and kinda muscly)

But in the end its their house and honestly their decision. My parents gave me all the opportunities i needed in life so not being able to have a snake at home was frustrating but i respected their decision. I bought my place 3 months ago and i have a diamond a childrens and a pygmy beardie already!!

Can I ask what’s stopping you from buying one without their permission? Are you under age required for license

also have brothers that dislike them, so while i could maybe get a small elapid and call it a legless lizard, otherwise he'll kill it if he finds out, plus not many people are gonna sell someone as young as me a elapid/colubrid, lol.
[doublepost=1514595501,1514595467][/doublepost](maybe a colubrid, but they know most colubrid species)

Keeping it in secret is definitely not a good idea. If you cannot reliably provide consistant care then its not fair on the snake you get either.

Buying something now and having a negative experience is silly when you will have ample opportunity in the future to properly own a snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back