What snake should I get?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarron

Reaction score
Hello, what’s a good first / second snake to get? I want one that has a good temperament and won’t bite me a lot. Also would be a plus if it doesn’t get to big, it will be going into a 4x2x2 glass tank when bigger. Would also love it to be from the carpet family. Thanks

I’m going to say that no snake is guaranteed to be not bitey, it’s what they do when threatened. It’s a primal instinct to fight back if unable to flee.

However Albino Darwin’s arecknown for being placid and are happy to stay in those bay enclosures you often see stacked 3-4 high

Well bred Albino Darwins are about as placid as you can get, I only handle my breeders when cleaning cages etc and I just push them out of the way or pick them up without using a hook, never get even a hiss out of them. The only time you need to be careful is when feeding and that applies to all snakes.
As to cage size I have some in larger cages but I find they only move about a small amount, spend most of their time in their hides or basking spot, come out at night looking to be fed, having a larger cage makes no difference to them.

Wasn’t think a abino cause they are pretty expensive

A Murray Darling will suit that size enclosure, and have a good rep for being placid. Our second snake was an MD, and he still is so calm now. He is our go-to when we have kids over and they want to hold a snake. Even took him to our niece's school for a class visit.

A Murray Darling will suit that size enclosure, and have a good rep for being placid. Our second snake was an MD, and he still is so calm now. He is our go-to when we have kids over and they want to hold a snake. Even took him to our niece's school for a class visit.
How old is he and how long? They can grow up to 2.7m that’s pretty big

Tarron, this topic has been covered when you got your first snake. You don't want a large snake, nor one that can't be handled. But you want it to be a carpet. Your only options are something like one of the smaller jungle types, or a Gammon ranges python.
I named the MD because it is a carpet, and very handleable, and can live most/all of its life in the size tank you mentioned.
Otherwise, another antaresia is the go.

In a 4x 2x 2 (assuming Lx Hx D) you could go a woma.... mine is very chilled as a general handling snake (which happens every 1-2 weeks). It will however, come down to the individual snake.
I gave mine 2-3 weeks of chill out time after getting them so it settles in and I have my enclosures away from high traffic areas. I also have a curtain on each of the enclosures that I use to cover the when people are over so they don't go annoying them.

While you may find it important to get something ‘easy’ for the first-time snake owner, I think what’s more important is that the snake in question is something that you will like.
When getting my first reptile, everyone said “Get a bluey, they’re really good for first time reptile owners”. So I got a bluey. While I did find them interesting, it wasn’t exactly something that I was wanting or found particularly nice. But I got one. It’s been 10ish years with her, and I’m sorry to say I’ve never been able to ever truly “love” the animal. Yes I still have her. Yes I do care very much about her. Yes she’s treated well. Yes I’m keeping her until she passes on. But if I could, I would never have gotten her.
When I got my snakes, I fell in love the moment I got them- despite having them for only a couple years, I care much more about them than the lizard. Clear favourite’s there.

Don’t worry about the lizard- I take pride in the health and well-being of all my animals so she’s going to live out a happy life being warm and fat and not wanting for anything.

So get something you want. Something that to your eyes looks the best- whatever catches your attention.
(In saying that, don’t go getting a Scrubbie or Taipan as your first snake! Be sensible!)

Agree with the above statements... quite simply, No one can tell YOU what to get for you... beauty is in the eye of the beholder... for example, when it comes to Pythons, I can't go past the look of Spotted pythons and stimmy's, to me, their markings and patterns are simply amazing... on the other hand when I look at almost all carpets and jungles, Darwins, womas, olives, etc , I just think drab and boring and I'd never want or own one. Diamonds do make me go "wow" but carpets, no matter the form make me go "meh." Everyone is different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back