My snake wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar's

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 10 month old diamond python wont eat. Last time i fed him/here was about 3 weeks ago, him/her hasn't ate since. is currently feeding on frozen pinkie mice. His previous owner only fed it over 8 months 4 times.

Last edited:
The previous owner only fed it over 4 times over the space of 8 months
Is it the snake in your profile pic? No wonder its so small.. My diamond of a similar age is twice the size of yours and is feeding on a small rat once a week.

Welcome to APS.
Here's a thread with a lot of good advice for this situation. Have a read, and if nothing on there helps, reply to this thread.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/my-snake-wont-eat.220560/

His temperature in his tank is a 29 degrees but it can get a bit hot in there. Other wise i have been told do not hold them for a couple of days before feeding and i did exactly that but still didnt eat. I have trying to feed my diamond but i am trying to avoid force feeding
[doublepost=1514779002,1514778972][/doublepost]
Is it the snake in your profile pic? No wonder its so small.. My diamond of a similar age is twice the size of yours and is feeding on a small rat once a week.
Yes it is

No carpet python should be on pinkies at all, they can start straight on fuzzies. Try bumping him
Up a bit and see if he takes a bigger meal. 4feeds In 8months is ridiculous and on pinkies.

No carpet python should be on pinkies at all, they can start straight on fuzzies. Try bumping him
Up a bit and see if he takes a bigger meal. 4feeds In 8months is ridiculous and on pinkies.

Well i cant get him to eat so how will eat fuzzies

If you try to feed him a larger meal he will think its more worthwhile, he won't waste his time on such a small meal. Eating is very tiring for snakes.
Edit: I think(?) I remember reading that somewhere but I could very well be wrong

Last edited:
A snake is not going to refuse a smaller size food, only too large a size.
How long have you had the diamond, Oscar's? Since it stopped eating, what's changed?

I would also suggest bumping up the temps until it starts eating... I kept hatchlings at 32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A snake is not going to refuse a smaller size food, only too large a size.
How long have you had the diamond, Oscar's? Since it stopped eating, what's changed?
I've had it a bit over 1 month and last time i fed it was 3 weeks ago
[doublepost=1514790102,1514789984][/doublepost]
I would also suggest bumping up the temps until it starts eating... I kept hatchlings at 32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I keep my snake at 29 degrees

I've had it a bit over 1 month and last time i fed it was 3 weeks ago
[doublepost=1514790102,1514789984][/doublepost]
I keep my snake at 29 degrees

Have you got any books on keeping pythons or at least checked out any care sheets?

Is that at the basking spot? Should be a gradient of around 32 deg C at the basking spot (or hot end of a click clack) to low 20's at the cool end. What size enclosure is it in? Got any pics of the set up? Are you handling it regularly? Are you defrosting the pinkies and are they warmed enough for the snake to recognise them as a food item?

Last edited:
You beat me to it George, posted while I was writing (and enjoying a few New Year’s drinks with company).

Reluctance to eat may be due in part to how it is being kept. When you say you are keeping it at 29oC but did not say where the enclosure or how? To help you, we need the following…
· the basic nature and approx. size of its enclosure;
· what heating &/or lighting is used and for how long;
· the resultant temperatures at both ends of the enclosure, and the basking spot if one is provided;
· what changes, if any, take place in the above from daytime to during the night.

It would also be helpful to know how you actually prepare and present a food item to the snake and how often/long it gets handled.

Edit: I forgot to mention that any of the above questions you can provide information on relating to the previous owner is also possibly highly relevant. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also, are there any other pets in the room you keep it in and how many hides?

4989e76b5addb1ae62496df05d44f43e.jpg
1622069fbf9797712cdc6d2e2e2717f1.jpg
8bdec6dc3414155d1804be8deacf8365.jpg
5c70953cb1f2322e7bc0907d7172a5d0.jpg

Here are some pic of his 90x45x45 enclosure. I hold him daily and defrost mice so their warm. Has 1 hide and 1 water bowl.

5572741a1c0fe3e19f530d41c337a690.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back