The Freshly Shed Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My yearling gosford diamond shed lastnight, got his tail stuck in the shedding as always haha. BTW- is there something wrong with his tail? It looks a bit unusual, might be something to do with the stuck shed.
View attachment 322363
View attachment 322364 View attachment 322365
**taken with iPhone :p

I would be concerned about that tail... looks like the end has died probably due to the blood flow being restricted from the stick shed... I would be getting to a vet to confirm.

Stryker freshly shed with her 11mth old daughter Tigerlily who is also freshly shed [emoji173]️
c993c730afad9965b998e9983b4ee5f3.jpg

b2470745fd99df5a0cb5924dad55ac37.jpg

a16ce3d12ec1f7e37f972ab2c73fddd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Great markings, I’m not sure about the tail, it could be the aspen in the picture or is it like bobbly? If it’s hot a few stuck sheds on this will almost act like a sheep ring that docs the tails on sheep, and some breeds of dogs, not really practiced any more but will make
It loose the circulation and make it drop off, which can be very bad if it’s too close to the cloaca, not sure how long the tail is on diamonds but I know some of the bloods have really stumpy tails

That little silver striker really is a great colour almost anery looking, natural sunlight really does bring out the best pigmentation for photos ,that’s for sure, I hate the winter here in the U.K., hardly any sunlight and last week hardly went above freezing and was -6 At nights, really not good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like to see parent with baby pics kitycat17 especially when they have such similar markings

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I got most of the stuck shed off. I'm confused, though, because how could some stuck shed cause the tail to look so zig-zag-y?

It compresses the skin which can constrict blood flow like having a cable tie on your arm,might not of been this time ,could of been the past owner or even been trapped in the door at some time

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That little silver striker really is a great colour almost anery looking,

It's a naturally occurring colour in south-west carpet pythons. They're generally known as "black and whites" Here's a shot of Striker next to Pixie. I think Pixie may be coming up to a shed, but she's a darker animal anyway. It'll be interesting to see how dark she becomes.

yinandyangaps.jpg

My 11 month Diamond has been hiding a lot and I thought I caught site of some blue eyes so I've been hoping for a week or so that I might catch him in the act!

I came home from work tonight to find his shed sitting out! Unfortunately I didn't catch him this time but its all in one piece and has both eye caps :).

He was still in his hide and didn't poke his head out when I grabbed the shed so I've let him be. I figured he would be hungry and more active since he is due for a feed in 2 days. Planning to get him out in the sun to catch him in all his beauty. Is there anything wrong with going to handle him the day after shed and day before he is due for feed?

26196782_788637514652913_398913585_n.jpg
Here is his shed for now.

Is there anything wrong with going to handle him the day after shed and day before he is due for feed?
No, that is a good time to handle and pretty much the only time I do it. Just make sure your hands are super clean and smelling of detol hand sanitizer or something as strong because it's the time you're most likely to cop a food response bite, when your snake is newly shed and hungry.

My 11 month Diamond has been hiding a lot and I thought I caught site of some blue eyes so I've been hoping for a week or so that I might catch him in the act!

I came home from work tonight to find his shed sitting out! Unfortunately I didn't catch him this time but its all in one piece and has both eye caps :).

He was still in his hide and didn't poke his head out when I grabbed the shed so I've let him be. I figured he would be hungry and more active since he is due for a feed in 2 days. Planning to get him out in the sun to catch him in all his beauty. Is there anything wrong with going to handle him the day after shed and day before he is due for feed?

View attachment 322544
Here is his shed for now.
I always handle just before feed day and never get tagged. You should be fine. No need to make your hands smell of dettol either, just make sure they are clean.

Also, get some pics when you do! ;)

No, that is a good time to handle and pretty much the only time I do it. Just make sure your hands are super clean and smelling of detol hand sanitizer or something as strong because it's the time you're most likely to cop a food response bite, when your snake is newly shed and hungry.
“Good time to handle - it’s the time you are most likely to cop a bite”?? Hello ?

“Good time to handle - it’s the time you are most likely to cop a bite”?? Hello ?

Nothing wrong with a little love bite ;)

I got him out today and he is looking BEAUTIFUL, I was promised his yellows would start to come through with each shed and I'm not disappointed. He was also surprisingly very tame, active and content to explore around! Didn't even S up when I got him out. Here is Kirby, he is coming up to a year very soon (Hatch date is late Jan early Feb).
26510908_788903057959692_1779309575_o.jpg 26513450_788903234626341_1661533930_o.jpg 26513528_788903314626333_1030797661_o.jpg 26540643_788903164626348_1895222083_o.jpg 26543526_788903097959688_1559271085_o.jpg

Out in the sun his colours really pop. Also his eyes were WAY different I thought. Almost golden, simply breathtaking, unfortunately my phone camera doesn't do them justice.

Pretty sure now that the breeder was under feeding him, his shed was 80cm (so he is probably around 70cm?) and weighs 65g. For a yearling that seems a bit undersized.

I also got my Childrens out for a little sun, she hadn't shed and in fact is probably due but thought I'd throw in the little cutie. This is Cass, short for Cassiopeia.
26510497_788907757959222_1899474423_o.jpg

26510908_788903057959692_1779309575_o.jpg

26513450_788903234626341_1661533930_o.jpg

Edit: Not sure why but I can't remove those 2 full size photos of Kirby. Tried deleting the ATTACH things but they just reappear again :S

Nothing wrong with a little love bite ;)

I got him out today and he is looking BEAUTIFUL, I was promised his yellows would start to come through with each shed and I'm not disappointed. He was also surprisingly very tame, active and content to explore around! Didn't even S up when I got him out. Here is Kirby, he is coming up to a year very soon (Hatch date is late Jan early Feb).
View attachment 322554 View attachment 322555 View attachment 322556 View attachment 322557 View attachment 322558

Out in the sun his colours really pop. Also his eyes were WAY different I thought. Almost golden, simply breathtaking, unfortunately my phone camera doesn't do them justice.

Pretty sure now that the breeder was under feeding him, his shed was 80cm (so he is probably around 70cm?) and weighs 65g. For a yearling that seems a bit undersized.

I also got my Childrens out for a little sun, she hadn't shed and in fact is probably due but thought I'd throw in the little cutie. This is Cass, short for Cassiopeia.
View attachment 322559

View attachment 322552

View attachment 322553

Edit: Not sure why but I can't remove those 2 full size photos of Kirby. Tried deleting the ATTACH things but they just reappear again :S
65g is very undersized :/ my darwin was 50g at 5months.

He’s beautiful by the way :)

I wouldn't worry so much about what weight it is, there are no hard and fast rules in regard to this. As long as it is healthy and active you have no need to worry. Being a bit thinner is better than being fat.

Latest posts

Back