Snakes drinking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowtail

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just caught this GTP girl having a drink, she submerged her head and I was a bit concerned there may have been something irritating her but you could see her jaws and tongue moving and her head looks ok. Usually GTP's drink off their body if you spray them and I have noticed they appear to drink more often than other species.
IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0463.jpg

I’ve seen my girl drink twice, they drink how a dog dors
No they don't. Dogs make a scoop with the underside of their tongue and pull the water backwards into their mouth. Snakes suck the water in.
[doublepost=1514866063,1514865788][/doublepost]
Yellowtail, I never spray my GTPs, so they don't have the luxury of drinking droplets off their bodies. They do, however drink from the water bowl regularly, no matter how small the bowl is - they find it.View attachment 322560
Is the reason you don't spray them because you are up north and there is already ample humidity or is there another reason?

In winter months the relative humidity often drops to 45 - 50%, which in not much. Having damp sphagnum moss as substrate creates enough humidity. Also, having to go around looking for water forces the snakes to move, which is a good thing. I firmly believe that many keepers are overdoing it with spraying. JMO

No they don't. Dogs make a scoop with the underside of their tongue and pull the water backwards into their mouth. Snakes suck the water in.
[doublepost=1514866063,1514865788][/doublepost]
Is the reason you don't spray them because you are up north and there is already ample humidity or is there another reason?
My girl puts her mouth in the water and it looks like she opens her mouth, or her tounge just comes out and back in

In winter months the relative humidity often drops to 45 - 50%, which in not much. Having damp sphagnum moss as substrate creates enough humidity. Also, having to go around looking for water forces the snakes to move, which is a good thing. I firmly believe that many keepers are overdoing it with spraying. JMO
I only do it on occasions when it has been very hot and dry, they seem to like it, like my diamonds that are in aviaries and love the rain. Am I right that GTP's seem to drink more?

I can't really say as I don't see them drinking too often, they mainly drink at night. A certain keeper in SE Qld (no names here) proclaimed that GTPs are "poor drinkers". Hmmm.

Mine usually drink after feeding and shedding as well as randomly sometimes at night. Once I had one open it's mouth wide after drinking, hissing loudly, and expel a stream of water at the glass!

"hissing loudly, and expel a stream of water at the glass!" That's a new one for me.

I can't really say as I don't see them drinking too often, they mainly drink at night. A certain keeper in SE Qld (no names here) proclaimed that GTPs are "poor drinkers". Hmmm.
GTP's are only a small part of my collection but I have seen them drinking many times while rarely seeing other morelia that I have in larger numbers. Seems logical as they come from a wet tropical rainforest environment while other species will have evolved to survive long dry seasons. Obviously diet will have a big effect.

"hissing loudly, and expel a stream of water at the glass!" That's a new one for me.
It was right after feeding, it (spotted python) took it drink, then I thought it was just yawning. Then it hissed and water just splattered all over the glass! Surprised me...

My spotted python drinks exactly like your GTP in pic #1 @Yellowtail. It must've had a good old play in its water dish last night. At 3am this morning upon doing the rounds, I discovered that it's tub had condensation all over the inside of it. I removed the lid to see what was going on and wiped it all dry with some paper towel, but the paper towel bedding was soaked and the water bowl was full of snake poop. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back