De-extinction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we bring back extinct species such as passenger pigeons and mammoths?

• Yes, and let them roam in the wild.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but under strict guidelines and in captivity.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported_tuatara

Reaction score
we're close to cloning mammoths, passenger pigeons and other extinct species back to life, in less than 50 years even. but what are peoples thoughts on it? should we? should we not? will it affect the current ecosystem, etc..

I read somewhere recently that they're working on bringing back the Tasmanian Tiger. Apparently they've enough DNA now to make it happen.

i'd honestly be fine with that, but then you hear about people wanting to bring back megalanias etc...
[doublepost=1514883447,1514883415][/doublepost]and in the wild too!

i'd honestly be fine with that, but then you hear about people wanting to bring back megalanias etc...
[doublepost=1514883447,1514883415][/doublepost]and in the wild too!
Yeah, some things should remain extinct... Things that we hunted to extinction out of ignorance should be brought back and things that went extinct inadvertently thanks to human intervention (for instance, introducing the Cane toad) but things that died out via natural selection, should remain in the history books. In my opinion.

A very interesting topic. I can understand genetic cloning to perfect a cow/sheep or chicken. I think it will go that way soon enough, not that i agree with it. But too clone something u know nothing about from many years ago. U are also cloning all the imperfections that the sample came from.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think we should only "de-extinct" species that were extant in the past few hundred years if we were to release them back into the wild, so that they don't change current ecosystems too much. Stuff like thylacines. Also some of the Pleistocene megafaunas such as diprotodon and macropus titan would be interesting for research purposes, but not to release into the wild. And things that went extinct because of humans. The main thing stopping us from "de-extincting" native animals is the lack of genetic material to work with, there aren't any tundras or anything that would preserve animals well enough here. Heaps of other stuff, though, but yeah...

I am not sure I want them bringing back a passenger pigeon X mammoth.... a dangerous precedent....especially if it got loose.

i agree, i honestly wouldn't mind if the rule that happened in china happened all over, way too many humans already.

Hmm you might reconsider if you knew the extent of that rule and how it was enforced, or saw a doco like the dying rooms of what happens to unwanted baby girls as a result.

Horrific is an understatement.

I agree humans are over populated....but that "rule" was really just a slaughter.

Anyway,
I'd be open to the idea of cloning species we have made extinct, but over all it probably isn't the best idea given we're very good at overlooking unforseen issues

I am not sure I want them bringing back a passenger pigeon X mammoth.... a dangerous precedent....especially if it got loose.
yeah imagine a flying mammoth dropping a load on you? I know they say a bird sh!t7ing on you is good luck but seriously? I don't want that much luck

No. And what we should seriously consider is controlling the human population.
I watched a very interesting documentary going back about 12 months ago now where this person, some highly acclaimed and respected something or other stated matter of factly that Australia is already grossly overpopulated and that this country alone can currently only comfortably accommodate 10 million people, less than half the current populatioin. I think he's bang on the money too given that 2/3 of the continent is virtually uninhabitable. So many people go on about how Australia has the least people per square kilometer in the world and that we can easily take in millions of refugees etc... there's a reason for that... because how many of us live in the Simpson desert? The coastlines of Australia are packed like sardines and the vast interior is sparsely populaed.

Australia is overpopulated.

also, i do know, they were killed. but if anyone is to be called selfish, sick, etc it's the parents for having a second child. yes there's another way that's more humane that could work but i forgot the name, it was what i was going to say at first too.

Hmm you might reconsider if you knew the extent of that rule and how it was enforced, or saw a doco like the dying rooms of what happens to unwanted baby girls as a result.

Horrific is an understatement.

I agree humans are over populated....but that "rule" was really just a slaughter.

Anyway,
I'd be open to the idea of cloning species we have made extinct, but over all it probably isn't the best idea given we're very good at overlooking unforseen issues
Not to mention that the male to female ratio in China now is like 150:1 and they're talking about, (I read this a while back) introducing new laws where a man must share his wife so that other men can marry... wt actual f?!

No. And what we should seriously consider is controlling the human population.
I'm thinking closing our borders would be a good start. We seem to let people in from countries that have been fighting with themselves since long before this country was colonized. If they can't get along with there own people in there own country, how the hell is bringing them here going to help ? More chance of them ruining our way of life. I understand if there bringing over skilled people that can add too the country. But the majority are unskilled and go straight on government payments or the dole. My brother is from England and has a trade, he finished his schooling in the top 2% in the country. It cost him $30,000 too come here and was only allowed if i sponsored him and i supported him.
Figure that one out !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just give more things to people who want to hunt and Chinese will claim all the reincarnated species are “magic healing properties “

I would be all for it, but the eco system
Has evolved on without them :( they’d just go extinct again

i don't think they would, lets say adding megalanias to the outback, instead they'd destroy millions of other creatures, and then potentially die out again due to disease.

Just give more things to people who want to hunt and Chinese will claim all the reincarnated species are “magic healing properties “

I would be all for it, but the eco system
Has evolved on without them :( they’d just go extinct again
Like rhino horn... what a joke... grind your bloody fingernails up and eat it, it's keratin, the same stuff! #chinesemedicinefail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back