De-extinction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we bring back extinct species such as passenger pigeons and mammoths?

• Yes, and let them roam in the wild.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but under strict guidelines and in captivity.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a very interesting documentary going back about 12 months ago now where this person, some highly acclaimed and respected something or other stated matter of factly that Australia is already grossly overpopulated and that this country alone can currently only comfortably accommodate 10 million people, less than half the current populatioin. I think he's bang on the money too given that 2/3 of the continent is virtually uninhabitable. So many people go on about how Australia has the least people per square kilometer in the world and that we can easily take in millions of refugees etc... there's a reason for that... because how many of us live in the Simpson desert? The coastlines of Australia are packed like sardines and the vast interior is sparsely populaed.

Australia is overpopulated.
you've got that 100% Kev,I don't always agree with what you say but right on the money here,1 thing I've always thought is instead of pumping our waste out to sea and killing the creatures who live there,why don't we pump it into the desert to try and recreate a fertile place.It's a scientific fact that green spaces attract more rain so why don't we create more greenery?

Animals like megalania will never be introduced back into the wild if they were to be de-extinct-ed. They also wouldn't look much like what they used to because they would have to get a related varanus species gravid so it would pretty much be megalania x another varanus species, but I'm not sure how it would work with reptiles.

tha'ts not how it works, it'd be the semen and embryo of an artifically created megalania, so it would use other species to feel in the gap, the birther wouldn't change ti's look.

But thats how they would artificially create the megalania in the first place

yes, they'd combine the dna. but that doesn't mean with that species, and even then, the mother of the artificially created embryo doesn't have anything to do with the looks of the offspring which is the megalania, as it's not the mother, just used to birth the animal.

There's one thing that should definitely be brought back from extinction... maybe then the world wouldn't be so effed up!
downloadfile-27.jpg

So that we can work out what went wrong with those and figure out how to prevent extinctions happening again.

Would we? Surely after the first time scientists and zoos would breed them and get some healthy populations going. A lot of frog species went extinct very soon after first being discovered, but now that we know what killed them we can prevent it.

To bring something back that has become extinct in the last 50 years is a different story to an animal that existed over 2 million years ago. Global temperature being one, its survival is based on its DNA.
Survival is a part of evolving and i would think missing out on 2 million years of evolution could have a fair say in its survival

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Animals like megalania will never be introduced back into the wild if they were to be de-extinct-ed. They also wouldn't look much like what they used to because they would have to get a related varanus species gravid so it would pretty much be megalania x another varanus species, but I'm not sure how it would work with reptiles.

Apparently Lacie's are the closest living relative to Megalania.

It would be nice if we could bring animals back that became extinct because of our intervention...

Not sure how i feel about others that were wiped out from the World/Nature/Evolution itself though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back