De-extinction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we bring back extinct species such as passenger pigeons and mammoths?

• Yes, and let them roam in the wild.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but under strict guidelines and in captivity.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you've ever owned a dog, you're playing god. if you've ever eaten a banana, strawberry, etc, you're playing god. all have been linebred, with dogs coming from wolves.
[doublepost=1514947837,1514947786][/doublepost]using that as a defense is dumb if you've basically eaten almost any fruit or kept any morphed animal, or a dog, cat, etc.
[doublepost=1514947883][/doublepost]as an argument, not a defense*
It isn't the people who own a dog or eat a banana, it is the people that create these things that play god.

if you've ever owned a dog, you're playing god. if you've ever eaten a banana, strawberry, etc, you're playing god. all have been linebred, with dogs coming from wolves.
[doublepost=1514947837,1514947786][/doublepost]using that as a defense is dumb if you've basically eaten almost any fruit or kept any morphed animal, or a dog, cat, etc.
[doublepost=1514947883][/doublepost]as an argument, not a defense*
Solid argument.

well you still can't argue that if you have, because then you support playing god. as some who isn't religious i don't really care if we "play god" as long as humane @Scutellatus
Being religious has nothing to do with the god arguement. I think you are reading to much into that aspect.
I don't support playing god because I eat a banana, I eat a banana because I want to eat it, the same goes for owning a dog, I would own it because I want to. You can't seriously believe that doing either places someone into the supporting playing god category.

but lets say they buy it off a breeder, they there for support the breeder, which the breeder is supposedly playing god, and therefor in the bigger picture they're supporting playing god. i realise that the playing god argument isn't really to do with religion completely too.

The whole playing god thing is another can of worms. Are designer babies ok? Probably not. But if you could stop your baby from having genetic disease wouldnt it be reckless not to?

Very slippery slope with many opinions.

The whole playing god thing is another can of worms. Are designer babies ok? Probably not. But if you could stop your baby from having genetic disease wouldnt it be reckless not to?

Very slippery slope with many opinions.
In regard to babies I believe there are genes that some people have that are not meant to be mixed and when they are mixed they produce inferior young. Maybe instead of designer babies they could do more research on genetics and make a test that both people can take to check the mixing of their DNA and whether they will produce deformities in their children. Not very PC but it would stop the world from being flooded with deformities in children (both mental and physical) like there are today.

Not to mention that the male to female ratio in China now is like 150:1 and they're talking about, (I read this a while back) introducing new laws where a man must share his wife so that other men can marry... wt actual f?!

Where on earth do you get this waffle from?
1.15 men per woman in China.
[doublepost=1514954863,1514954576][/doublepost]
No. And what we should seriously consider is controlling the human population.

Even as a young fella I couldn't understand how the worlds increasing population was sustainable but we just keep on breeding.
Funny thing is it seems to be those who have less ability to look after their young that breed more.

Where on earth do you get this waffle from?
1.15 men per woman in China.
[doublepost=1514954863,1514954576][/doublepost]

Even as a young fella I couldn't understand how the worlds increasing population was sustainable but we just keep on breeding.
Funny thing is it seems to be those who have less ability to look after their young that breed more.
Obviously it was an exaggeration cobber but you get the gist. Women outnumber men in Australia. Those are my kinda numbers. :D

mostly because of the suicide rates of males during puberty because of peer pressure, bullying, etc, as males are born more, and there's more male children than female children, and so on.

mostly because of the suicide rates of males during puberty because of peer pressure, bullying, etc, as males are born more, and there's more male children than female children, and so on.
I don't know if that's the reason... my understanding is there's far more female babies born than males... my family for example... I've 1 brother and 7 sisters, I've got 2 daughters... my wife's sister has 1 son and 3 daughters... pretty sure more children are born female.

I agree, the rate at which deforestation is occurring is mind blowing.

Lets consider all those stupid plastic bottles that humans can't live without. How much damage are they still doing. And yet we know how bad they are to the environment, we know only a very small percentage are recycled and we know the consequences.
How many of you had a drink today from a single use plastic container or used a plastic straw and then tossed it in the trash without a 2nd thought?
There are plenty of things we can do that will make a difference every day if we choose to act rather than point fingers.

Lets consider all those stupid plastic bottles that humans can't live without. How much damage are they still doing. And yet we know how bad they are to the environment, we know only a very small percentage are recycled and we know the consequences.
How many of you had a drink today from a single use plastic container or used a plastic straw and then tossed it in the trash without a 2nd thought?
There are plenty of things we can do that will make a difference every day if we choose to act rather than point fingers.
As of February this year our local supermarkets have totally banned plastic bags... there's a step in the right direction.

i have 3 brothers and 2 sisters, and i see way more males than females when it comes to children.
At my daughter's school, both their classes, there's 3 girls to every boy. I haven't actually looked up the exact data/figures but I did hear something a while back along the lines that there's 1 male baby born to every 3 girls.
[doublepost=1514955578,1514955519][/doublepost]
*when you're drinking out of a plastic bottle right now*
Aluminium can actually... ;)

"Worldwide, there are 107 boy babies born for every 100 girl babies. This skewed ratio is partly due to sex-selective abortion and "gendercide," the killing of female infants, in countries such as China and India where males are more desired."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back