Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Yellow Spotted monitor is is packing on the weight. Even tho I am closely watching her diet and food intake.. guess she's gonna need a bigger cage [emoji38]
98ec38c3aeabe137fa0106f0911164ee.jpg
37cda2f7e422788ce1acddb78d1a8fda.jpg

Instagram: murph_BTK
Pretty girl.
Have you got an open floor on that enclosure Murph?
I hope you have a guard sunk into the ground if so. It wouldn't take her long to tunnel out otherwise.

The cages I have in my outdoor enclosures are bolted to the fence off the ground 400mm (bloody toads) and the cage is broken up into 4 sections of welded mesh this the rest of the cage I move the fake grass from 3 of the sections about once a fortnight to allow sunshine to get to the real grass underneath the cages to allow growth and to break up the same ol display in her enclourse same goes for the hollows and climbing branches I change them all the time.. New things to explore (destroy) & bask on.. I find that all my monitors are out and around more rather than tucked away..
But i am always up for suggestions [emoji6]...

The cages I have in my outdoor enclosures are bolted to the fence off the ground 400mm (bloody toads) and the cage is broken up into 4 sections of welded mesh this the rest of the cage I move the fake grass from 3 of the sections about once a fortnight to allow sunshine to get to the real grass underneath the cages to allow growth and to break up the same ol display in her enclourse same goes for the hollows and climbing branches I change them all the time.. New things to explore (destroy) & bask on.. I find that all my monitors are out and around more rather than tucked away..
But i am always up for suggestions [emoji6]...

That is impressive looking fake grass. With the shadowing I couldn't pick it to be artificial.

Thinking of moving on one of my young pengilleyi scalaris pairs or a sub adult pellewnsis pair. Im chasing a young or sub adult pair of scalaris kuranda. If anyone knows of any.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

view.php

view.php

2pq5qfb.jpg

Turok basking after a feed. Seems a lot more chill around me now. Doesn't bolt at all when I walk past or move my hand close to glass. I've even laid my hand right in front of him inside enclosure and he's scented but not freaked out.

How is he for size? He's around 4 months old now. I would guess 45cm total length. Fed pretty much every day. Whether it's chunks of cut up chicken necks, weaner mouse (will try Adult mouse next time), or a couple of handfuls of dusted woodies on varying days. Doesn't touch Crickets.

why are there bricks in the corners? beautifull monitor
[doublepost=1515713836,1515712801][/doublepost]
Not Sonny's above, but a friends I'm incubating. 197 days:).

View attachment 321144

why do you put cling or glap wrsp over the top?

why are there bricks in the corners? beautifull monitor

Thank you. There are bricks in there cause' he had a habit of digging under the fake grass (Seems like it's just loose enough for him to get under) that's under the coir peat and I'd keep thinking he'd gotten out.

Not sure he'd do that anymore though since he's calmed down a lot. But even so I'd still prefer to have the bricks there either way just in case.

thought
Thank you. There are bricks in there cause' he had a habit of digging under the fake grass (Seems like it's just loose enough for him to get under) that's under the coir peat and I'd keep thinking he'd gotten out.

Not sure he'd do that anymore though since he's calmed down a lot. But even so I'd still prefer to have the bricks there either way just in case.

thought it might of been another area to bask

don't think that's a safe way of transportation, but if it gets the job done sure?.. :D
wht's wrong with public transport? the boofocrats think it is good enough for us plebs
[doublepost=1515739343,1515739029][/doublepost]
Yes... The world is full of A-holes. 30+ year old gravid female Macrochelodina expansa hit and killed less than 12 inches from the edge of the bitumen... If that wasn't deliberate, I'm Elvis Presley.
View attachment 322569
this is one of the things I hate about summer,it's reptile killing season,I drive around in my truck and see dead reptiles everywhere,sometimes I'm lucky enough to shoo something off the road before it becomes pizza

No wire cages next time mate, I've heard this happen on more than a few occasions with monitors. Learning experience anyway. these work well for smaller mons, no chance of accidents. 35W (2-3 in a row) at 100-150mm from the basking spot should give you a good hot spot and retain a suitable gradient.

What are those globes, would i suit ackies or similer size lizards?

No pics today (will take some tomorrow) but just thought I'd update...

I ran out of Mice and had some spare chicks so I thought I'd chuck one in and see how Turok handled it. Struggled a bit but ended up getting it down. He's 6 months old now. Will cut him back to feeding every second day from now on, in a few days.
Would there be any bad side effects if I gave him purely chicks as a whole food item from now on (as opposed to Mice)? I'm only asking since he already gets cut up chicken necks. But also he would still get Woodies and the occasional Huntsman, Centipede, Whatever else I end up finding that he could have.

Ended up getting him a bigger water bowl so he can actually soak / submerge his whole body in it. His skin looks so much better and his colours pop way more.

I can gently stoke his back and tail. Sometimes it's even more of a pat with my whole hand and it doesn't seem to bother him (as in, no hissing or tail whipping).
Wondering if I should try and pick him up or if that'll just set all my progress back?

No pics today (will take some tomorrow) but just thought I'd update...

I ran out of Mice and had some spare chicks so I thought I'd chuck one in and see how Turok handled it. Struggled a bit but ended up getting it down. He's 6 months old now. Will cut him back to feeding every second day from now on, in a few days.
Would there be any bad side effects if I gave him purely chicks as a whole food item from now on (as opposed to Mice)? I'm only asking since he already gets cut up chicken necks. But also he would still get Woodies and the occasional Huntsman, Centipede, Whatever else I end up finding that he could have.

Ended up getting him a bigger water bowl so he can actually soak / submerge his whole body in it. His skin looks so much better and his colours pop way more.

I can gently stoke his back and tail. Sometimes it's even more of a pat with my whole hand and it doesn't seem to bother him (as in, no hissing or tail whipping).
Wondering if I should try and pick him up or if that'll just set all my progress back?
I’d let him come to you. Place your hand in front of him and let him taste you and he may climb onto your hand.

I’m of the idea that everything is to be on their terms.... he’ll be more comfortable if it’s his decision to climb up onto you, rather than a big pink hand coming in over the top of him.

And post pictures! There hasn’t been enough lately!

Latest posts

Back