De-extinction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we bring back extinct species such as passenger pigeons and mammoths?

• Yes, and let them roam in the wild.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but under strict guidelines and in captivity.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally love my "Recycled plastic" RELN compost worm cafe. Endless supply of worms for my turtles and frogs. :D Doing my bit for the environment. ;) Even using throwaway plastic bowls filled with water to prevent ants from crawling up the legs and entering the worm farm. :D
20180104_133417.jpg

I have accidentally eaten them over the years, but won't any more. They don't break down in the compost bin at all. I've found stickers in the garden. Other paper and cardboard breaks down. So do they dissolve in our guts, or come out in our poop? I try not to buy fruit with stickers; the apples are usually waxed to look pretty.

My 2cents on it.

No .I literally have a Thylacine tattoo and I would still vote that down too. We can barely keep the species we have such as the Devil,Numbat , quoll and glider species. We really should focus on what we have now and eventually when we have a more sensible approach on land and wildlife management , bringing back species that we decimated such as the Tiger would be a good idea. Only if though, they would provide an ecological function that would benefit the ecosystem itself.
Like will a Tiger's presence reduce/lower the activity of feral cats ect.

Bringing back the Mammoth in a completely different time & climatic zone is silly . Would only make any sense if we were to implement some sort of "De-Extinction" Park and bring back some animals as representatives to change our resource use/land & wildlife management to become more sustainable and sensible.

@pinefamily the stickers on most fruits are eatable, so are the glues

I have accidentally eaten them over the years, but won't any more. They don't break down in the compost bin at all. I've found stickers in the garden. Other paper and cardboard breaks down. So do they dissolve in our guts, or come out in our poop? I try not to buy fruit with stickers; the apples are usually waxed to look pretty.
I am pretty sure they are a plastic sticker which is not really edible. It probably won't cause too much harm but definitely won't break down in the gut. I think the breaking down in the gut is what classifies something as edible.

Fruit Stickers Are Edible. It is recommended by the FDA to wash all fruit before eating, but eating the stickers on fruit won't hurt you. The stickers and their adhesive are FDA-approved and safe to ingest. However, it's suggested that you remove the stickers before eating fruits

haha that's pretty funny Darren,imagine having a poop and it comes out with a granny smith sticker on it " that don't look like no granny smith to me"

Lots of things are edible that I personally wouldn't put in my mouth.
For decades we used plastic baby bottles before it was admitted that the chemicals in the plastic were leaching into the contents as they were being used.

Fruit Stickers Are Edible. It is recommended by the FDA to wash all fruit before eating, but eating the stickers on fruit won't hurt you. The stickers and their adhesive are FDA-approved and safe to ingest. However, it's suggested that you remove the stickers before eating fruits
I wouldn't trust the FDA too much,they also approved things like DDT which has now been banned around the world

Lots of things are edible that I personally wouldn't put in my mouth.
For decades we used plastic baby bottles before it was admitted that the chemicals in the plastic were leaching into the contents as they were being used.
I used glass bottles for my kids, bought them all from the local pharmacy. Wouldn't feed my kids from those plastic bpa laden death bottles.

In the USA they do use edible stickers I believe. And I think they used to be paper here too, but now they are plastic, or plastic coated.

Mind you, I wouldn't be game to eat their apples, with all the glyphosates they use.

haha that's pretty funny Darren,imagine having a poop and it comes out with a granny smith sticker on it " that don't look like no granny smith to me"

Haha, very true mate

yeah but the govt also says there is a "safe" allowable level of mercury, we can ingest too.
When studies have now shown that 1 part per trillion is harmful.
Why they put stickers on fruit is beyond me, or glue or wrap it in plastic. Does anyone here remember what fruit and grocery shops smelt like back in the 60-70's? Todays fruit shops don' t have that natural beautiful smell. Everything came in brown paper bags, and there was even ..... wait for it.... thicker brown paper bags for the mother loads. Oh, but there was a problem, now and again you'd get get the odd grub, Lol!! So they replaced the healthy edible grub with chemicals and poisons and plastics. Pretty sure no -one died of grub poisoning!!

yeah but the govt also says there is a "safe" allowable level of mercury, we can ingest too.
When studies have now shown that 1 part per trillion is harmful.
Why they put stickers on fruit is beyond me, or glue or wrap it in plastic. Does anyone here remember what fruit and grocery shops smelt like back in the 60-70's? Todays fruit shops don' t have that natural beautiful smell. Everything came in brown paper bags, and there was even ..... wait for it.... thicker brown paper bags for the mother loads. Oh, but there was a problem, now and again you'd get get the odd grub, Lol!! So they replaced the healthy edible grub with chemicals and poisons and plastics. Pretty sure no -one died of grub poisoning!!
all very true,but speaking of mercury why isn't there a system for recycling/reclaiming mercury in this country.I took some old MVB's & UV's to the tradie outlet thinking they had some system and he just chucked them in the bin

Beats me. In my travels finding locations close to where I catch snakes, for releasing , I'm constantly coming across piles of illegally dumped rubbish in patches of bush. But when I took a pretty small load to the local tip the other day, I got charged the minimum fee $22.00. It used to be $10.
Any wonder people just dump wherever now.
It was free at the tip I went to in Redlands couple of years ago, as long as you showed you were resident..

They brought in that whole X amount of $$ per sized load of rubbish up here several years ago at the local tip too and it was quickly abandoned within 18 months as people started dumping their trash all over the roadsides on the way to the tip. It's now free again no matter how big or small your ute load or trailer load is. I went out 5 times in one weekend last winter.

Our local council is pretty good. We can recycle light globes and batteries at the library, and any scrap metal can be taken to the bottle and can depot next to the tip. When we moved in, we had heaps of cardboard boxes. Flattened down they mad a ute full. Took them to the tip, and the bloke said just drive in and told us what bin to put them in, no charge. Branches can be taken to one of the local farms where they have a bonfire once a year for the church youth group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back