Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it because it’s easy to change if needs to be, cheap, doesn’t really look that bad (although proper substrate does look better)

I do however use proper substrate in larger enclosures :)

but isnt it better for your reptile to feel like its in its natural enviroment, and if i gets wet in will go right through

Last edited:
but isnt it better for your reptile to feel like its in its natural enviroment, and if i gets wet in will go right through
Paper towel has amazing absorbent ability

With substrate it almost becomes a mud

I use newspaper because cleaning is just so much easier. I'm a lazy person, so it encourages me to clean more often. I can do a full enclosure clean in less than 5 minutes! I don't think it looks that bad :p

Coir Peat for pretty much everything i have. Bricks are about 3 bucks. Absorbent enough that I really only have to spot clean. Doesn't have to be changed overly often either.

Only thing is it's a bit of a pain waiting for it to dry enough once it's been soaked/expended and then crushed up and it does get into the tracks of the glass sliding doors but apart from that.

It all comes down to preference, as you can see. We've always used paper towel in hatchie tubs, and used use coir peat, but now use the recycled paper kitty litter pellets. They soak up a lot of the mess and odour.
To answer your question, the snake doesn't care. As long as you provide something that won't harm it, the snake will be more concerned with proper heat an a hide or two.

I just started to use newspaper (again) after trying the kitty letter pellets for about 8 months. They are harder to 'spot' clean, it feels dusty, and I worry I will miss something and it will lay there for ages causing germs or something. So back to newspaper I go, it's easy, cheap, convenient for cleaning, and you can see easily when they've pooped etc.

In click clacks (small plastic tubs for hatchies and young snakes) I've always used paper towels.

You can't miss our snakes' poops, lol.
The only time I've found them dusty is when putting in or cleaning out the whole enclosure.

I lay newspaper in 3 sections across the cage, the water bowl is on one, hide on middle, in theory they poop in one area so it is quick to just change one. Thats a 1200 wide enclosure, if 900 the papers overlap which means you slide the hide to one side to remove the ends. I try to keep it simple so I can quickly remove mess before they spread it and of course they are trained not to mess their hide. During the day the snake is usually in it's hide so easy to slide it over, if it's a snappy jungle I cover the opening, a method I used when I kept Vens, (they had a hide box with a lid) so you didn't need to handle the snake.
IMG_0518.jpg
[doublepost=1515038901,1515037242][/doublepost]Occasionally I dress things up a bit, especially for the GTP's but the newspaper remains. The perches are in brackets so they can be changed quickly (GTP's stay on perch when I remove it for a full clean}
IMG_0520.jpg DSCN5342.jpg

I don't know...I prefer a natural looking environment..all my enclosures (except for the quarantine which has paper for obvious reasons) have something close to their home ground (hopefully) I enjoy seeing my critters moving around and hopefully for them it is something like home

it wouldn't be, they don't know home, there enclosure is home. they're captive bred(mostly i think) so what they're born and raised in is their closest thing for them to "home". Plus they don't really care.
you might as well keep them in tubs then, stuff that

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back