Snakes drinking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GTP's are only a small part of my collection but I have seen them drinking many times while rarely seeing other morelia that I have in larger numbers. Seems logical as they come from a wet tropical rainforest environment while other species will have evolved to survive long dry seasons. Obviously diet will have a big effect.

Darwins regularly poop in their water, usually straight after you have cleaned everything and given them nice fresh water.

I've had had numerous Morelia spilota from all over the country over the past 40 years (currently have 8) and have seen them all drink on numerous occasions. Not unusual for all snakes (& not just pythons) to defecate in the water either. I provide two water bowls for this reason, one small one...too small for them to get into, specifically for fresh drinking water.

Last edited:
I've had had numerous Morelia spilota from all over the country over the past 40 years (currently have 8) and have seen them all drink on numerous occasions. Not unusual for all snakes (& not just pythons) to defecate in the water either. I provide two water bowls for this reason, one small one...too small for them to get into, specifically for fresh drinking water.
Why do they do this George? I notice the behaviour more with Darwins as I have a lot of them, some in 1800 long cages so they must seek out the small water bowl down one end to do it. Rarely do my GTP's or Rough Scales defecate in their water and then it is usually accidental on the side of the bowl. It's a long time since I kept elapids but I don't remember this as a problem.

My boas drink loads of water,I love watching them empty nearly half the bowl in one go

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Why do they do this George? I notice the behaviour more with Darwins as I have a lot of them, some in 1800 long cages so they must seek out the small water bowl down one end to do it. Rarely do my GTP's or Rough Scales defecate in their water and then it is usually accidental on the side of the bowl. It's a long time since I kept elapids but I don't remember this as a problem.

To tell the truth Yellowtail I don't really know. Some speculate that it might be used as a survival technique to disguise their presents from potential predators. Others speculate that drinking or soaking in water influences defecating patterns. Other speculate that soaking in water prior to defecation softens the stool and allows it to pass out of the snake easily and comfortably.

From experience larger vens that inhabit areas near water (I.E Red Bellied Blacks, Tigers, Copperheads) appear to defecate in the water on a pretty regular basis.

Cheers,

George.

My juvi taken a drink on one of her many cage free nights. They love being out n about ... trick is finding them in the AM [emoji216]
ff49f9f320daabbb678de7921fe1849c.jpg

Instagram: murph_BTK

This thread is great timing I saw Cookie drinking for the first time just the other day! I took some great video (says me), I'd love to share but I can't work out how to upload a video here (options seem to be upload an image file or embed a video via a url link). Can anyone tell me how?

Here's an image teaser:
cookie drinking still.png

Last edited:
I took some great video (says me), I'd love to share but I can't work out how to upload a video here (options seem to be upload an image file or embed a video via a url link). Can anyone tell me how?
I upload my videos to my Google Drive account, then just post them here via a shareable link.

Google drive is good, that way you don't need to publicly upload it to YouTube.
Great if you have a Google account and remember the password and then have to ask for access?
[doublepost=1515382797,1515382517][/doublepost]
Should work now
Works now, thats a big drink. My Black Cockatoos don't drink often, then have a big drink, they take a mouthful then hold their head back. Blackheads from dry areas may only drink on irregular occasions?

Great if you have a Google account and remember the password and then have to ask for access?
[doublepost=1515382797,1515382517][/doublepost]
Works now, thats a big drink. My Black Cockatoos don't drink often, then have a big drink, they take a mouthful then hold their head back. Blackheads from dry areas may only drink on irregular occasions?

That was the first time i caught one of my bhps having a drink and that time who knows how long she was drinking for before i caught her , plus it took me few mins to find my phone and film it !! I have since caught my male also having a massive drink after shedding ?? Must be thirsty work haha ??
[doublepost=1515384009][/doublepost]As for dry environments they are Pilbara locale pythons from wild caught parents which could play a factor ?? Though im in sydney so humidity doesnt get very low in my snake room ?

Its bloody hot in Sydney right now, this Darwin wants to go back home where it's cooler and the skink was in front of a portable A/C I have cooling my mice, Thought it was a coincidence but half an hour later it was still there and not moving while I took photo.
IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0544.jpg

Darwins regularly poop in their water, usually straight after you have cleaned everything and given them nice fresh water.
just like my beardies and frillies lol
[doublepost=1515396626,1515396488][/doublepost]
Its bloody hot in Sydney right now, this Darwin wants to go back home where it's cooler and the skink was in front of a portable A/C I have cooling my mice, Thought it was a coincidence but half an hour later it was still there and not moving while I took photo.
View attachment 322687 View attachment 322688
looks like you need a bigger bowl mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back