Beginner lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What are some aboreal lizards/ moniters that a good for a beginner and also are akies and ridge tailed moniters the same?

NEVERMIND

Last edited:
Completely different species:
Ackies-
download.jpg
Storri-
download-1.jpg

Ok, the only monitors you can keep in NSW under an R1 licence are ackies, gillens, black tailed monitors, and sand monitors. Ackies and gillens would probably be best as a first monitor IMO. Be sure to do heaps of research and decide which one is right for you.

is it best to have aboreal enclosure for gillens or the ackies or the horazonal enclosures? is it true with the heat or basking temp difficult to to control in an aboreal set up?

I read somewhere that gillens don't need very tall enclosures and do well in terrestrial enclosures, but I may be wrong. Ackies do well in terrestrial enclosures. Its not that hard to make a basking spot for arboreal enclosures. But yeah do plenty of research, I'm no expert.

Gillen's might be good? Ackies = V. acanthurus. Ridge tailed = V. storri (I think, correct me if I'm wrong.)
Ridge tailed monitors are not V. Storri, they are V. Acanthurus. They are the same as ackies.
[doublepost=1515658273,1515658223][/doublepost]
the ackies are biggerish, what level of licence can they be kept under?
They are R1 in NSW, though the system is currently undergoing reforms. They are only slightly larger than bearded dragons, though they burrow more.

The storri (spiny tails) are but not the ackies (ridge tails) sorry about confusing you I completely got mixed up :p

yeah alittle confused lol but its all good.
Sorry about that lol. Here is the actual thingo :p
Varanus storri = spiny tailed monitor - R2 licence, out of question
Varanus gilleni = pygmy mulga monitor - R1 licence, a good option
Varanus acanthurus = ridge tailed monitor - R1 licence, a good option
Varanus tristis = black headed monitor - R1 licence
Varanus gouldii = sand monitor/goanna - R1 licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back