Beginner lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently spiny tailed monitor is an incorrect common name for ackies? But like I said I could and probably am wrong.

Apparently spiny tailed monitor is an incorrect common name for ackies? But like I said I could and probably am wrong.
Not according to Steve Wilson. This is what their common name is in 'A Complete Guide To Reptiles Of Australia'.

If in doubt @Foozil always confirm your information in your reptile books.

Ok didn't know that. I guess he is probably correct, the internet is usually wrong haha. I don't have any reptile books btw :(

Ok didn't know that. I guess he is probably correct, the internet is usually wrong haha. I don't have any reptile books btw :(
That particular book can be picked up for between $30 and $50, well worth it.

EBay gumtree Amazon local 2nd hand book stores. Flea markets.. keep hunting

Even this forum you might find some one has one to sell.. [emoji6]

Instagram: murph_BTK

Spiny Tailed Monitors are Ackies also.
Storrs Monitor is Varanus Storri.
[doublepost=1515660890,1515660758][/doublepost]Maybe @Smittiferous, @Stompsy or @Sheldoncooper can comment and clear the confusion Haydn.
As far as I’m aware Ackies are called ridge tailed monitors and spiny tailed monitors. I don’t know a lot about storrs monitors though as I’ve never kept them.

As for which to get first, I would recommend Gillens as a great first monitor as they are small, easy to keep and extremely entertaining to watch, especially during feeding time. Plus if they bite, the ramifications won’t be as dire as a larger species.

Sandies are excellent but probably not for a first monitor as their personalities can vary greatly and some will be bitey. My male thinks everything is food so gloves are worn every time we need to retrieve him from the enclosure as he’s bitten me a few times and there’s lots of blood involved.

But as others have advised, research loads and choose whichever monitor you think you’ll be able to keep safely and with correct husbandry, but also choose something that appeals!

Good luck and keep us updated. ;)

i have seached for A Guide to Australian Monitors in Captivity but there out of stock every were, is there away i can get in pdf? planning on doing as much research as i can and have enclosures brought/ made ahead of time, can monitors have a bioactive set up or would they destroy the plants etc?

I would agree with stomps in saying gillens would be a good first monitor especially if u want arboreal. They do like it hot and relatively dry, probably not the best for a bio enclosure. Scalaris are good for a bio enclosure but probably not the best first monitor and quite expensive. And can be quite shy so u could not see them, storrs like it hot and dry also but i would go with gillens or ackies. Not that ackies are arboreal but both are easy enough to care for with a bit of research

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

is it difficult with aboreal sets up to control the heat? would 1.5 long x 800 high x 800 deep being a good size or should i add more to it?

What are some aboreal lizards/ moniters that a good for a beginner and also are akies and ridge tailed moniters the same?
Ackies are arguably the best beginner monitor so go for that one. But do lots of research first and make sure you have the time and space to keep one.

Also just want to say some can be much more bitey than others. When gillens bite they rarely draw blood but if you get an ackies that likes to bite you're gonna have a bit of blood. Thats not to say you'll always get a bitey ackies. I would say go for a gillens, but in the end its your decision.

is it difficult with aboreal sets up to control the heat? would 1.5 long x 800 high x 800 deep being a good size or should i add more to it?
There's more of a gradient change with arboreal enclosures but as long as the bottom is at the correct cool temp they can pick there own area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ackie and gillens required heating area or basking area 45 to 65 degrees or do they need 100-120?

NO 100-120 is in Fahrenheit it has to be 45-65 degrees celcius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back