Trouble sexing water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So I need some help sexing one of my EWD. at first I assumed it was a boy due to some red on the underside but I'm really starting to have second thoughts as "he" looks nothing like my other male and much more like my female....

last two photos are of my other two.

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

It is very hard to tell Princess. With Water Dragons the females can definitely show colour on their breast so this is a very unreliable method. Males heads are usually a little bulkier in the side of the jaw but without seeing your dragon in person a definite sex will be very hard to determine.
Your best bet would be an X-Ray for positive confirmation.

It is very hard to tell Princess. With Water Dragons the females can definitely show colour on their breast so this is a very unreliable method. Males heads are usually a little bulkier in the side of the jaw but without seeing your dragon in person a definite sex will be very hard to determine.
Your best bet would be an X-Ray for positive confirmation.
Yeah I'm thinking of contacting and taking him to the vet or reptile keeping places to see if they could help...
tbh I would lLOVE it if he does turn out to be a girl cos then I wouldn't have to either find a new home or build another enclosure for him... would make things so much easier as I've kind of been stressing a bit about the thought of needing to rehome him.

the one wrapped in the towel is my other male which is really what's confusing me as he looks TOTALLY different to the othe two even though he was housed and raised exactly the same

It certainly looks like a female to me. The males have more intense colour, wider head at back, bulkier bottom jaw, larger crests on the head and neck, wider base of the tail and femoral pores are a lot more visible. So try comparing those features with the boy in the towel and I think you will see the differences.

It certainly looks like a female to me. The males have more intense colour, wider head at back, bulkier bottom jaw, larger crests on the head and neck, wider base of the tail and femoral pores are a lot more visible. So try comparing those features with the boy in the towel and I think you will see the differences.
Yeah, ever since my other one started getting his colours I've been getting more and more convinced that this one is actually a girl as along with the above colours being more obvious and vibrant his chest/belly/underside is almost a more dark scarlet red rather then the kind of slight pink that this one has. Really the only main thing that's been making me still think it might be a boy is that it's a slightly different shape than the girl. Each to their own I guess.
is there anyway I can tell for sure?

I was under the impression ALL dragons can be sexed by the hemipenal bulges in the tail . Although I know male eastern water dragons have a red throat.

...is there anyway I can tell for sure?
If it gets a pink blush on the ventral surface but does not develop scarlet colour on the chest than it is definitely not a male.

The reason for my previous post was to encourage you to make the comparisons and see for yourself. That’s the best way to learn. Based on the photos provided, it is 95%+ a female. Individuals, both male and female, do vary in their colour and form, but within limits, and working from photos for certain things is just not the same as being able to hold the animal and inspect it.

I do have a query about the origin of these two individuals. In both females it is difficult to clearly see/confirm the eye to ear dark stripe, which should be clearly visible in sub-adults attaining breeding age. The other thing is the colour and pattern on the throat. You get this in many northern NSW/Qld specimens but it is also present in Gippsland female.

I was under the impression ALL dragons can be sexed by the hemipenal bulges in the tail . Although I know male eastern water dragons have a red throat.
In general the existence of hemipenal bulges is the case for most adult male dragons. However, in a few species it is far less obvious and water dragons are one of those. The base of the tail (I,e, adjacent to the vent) is thicker in males because of the presence of the hemipenes. Unfortunately there is a finger across that area in the photo of the ventral surface provided.

I think you are referring to the chest and upper arms, rather than the “throat”, which develop a scarlet colour in males. Sometimes you can get a bit of red showing on the back of the gular fold. The more northerly individuals often develop a yellowish throat colour, usually with darker streaks. The amount of the belly that colours up is variable.

I do have a query about the origin of these two individuals. In both females it is difficult to clearly see/confirm the eye to ear dark stripe, which should be clearly visible in sub-adults attaining breeding age. The other thing is the colour and pattern on the throat. You get this in many northern NSW/Qld specimens but it is also present in Gippsland female..

that was something else I noticed which I thought was a bit odd about these two, them sort of lacking the stripe and looking more like Gippsland which I found very strange since they're all from the same clutch...
[doublepost=1515846193,1515837164][/doublepost]Trying to upload some more photos but it won't let me.... anyway you can definitely tell that they're the same looking at these New photos I just took... had to double check that I didn't accidentally photograph the same one twice

Just going off the pics I'm of the opinion that it's a female and they are all Easterns.

Here's some pics of both an adult male and a gravid female. You can see the difference in the head shape between the sexes. You can see how the nuptial spines are more developed on the male than on the female, the deep ruby red on the underside of the male's chest and the yellow that Mike (Bluetongue1) is referring to is also visible.

In the photo of the female and the one with both the male and female opposite each other you will see that the dark stripe that Mike also refers to is present but no where near as prominent in the female as it is in males.

SAM_1095.JPG SAM_1098.JPG SAM_1101.JPG

Picture of all three both separate and together

anyone got any ideas of female versions of the beam Flynn?

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back