Glass or Plexi-glass/ Acrylic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
whats better between the 2 or 3 materials for display windows or used to make sliding doors for lizard and snake enclosures?

Cheers Haydn

Glass hands down.
It looks better and lasts longer. Acylic will discolour over time and is also susceptible to scratches etc when cleaning.

Depends how fancy you want it to be, glass will look way better, but cost more.

Fibreglass *i mean PERSPEX* is cheap and looks ok untill u scratch it, it’s flexible to an extent so no worry about breaking it :) I use fibreglass just coz I had a bunch laying around. No discolouration after 3years

Last edited:
Depends how fancy you want it to be, glass will look way better, but cost more.

Fibreglass is cheap and looks ok untill u scratch it, it’s flexible to an extent so no worry about breaking it :) I use fibreglass just coz I had a bunch laying around. No discolouration after 3years
Fibreglass for enclosure doors and display windows?
How do you see through it?

I prefer glass but thats just my opinion.
I guess it depends on the enclosure build as much as anything. I have melamine enclosures. If I was building a full enclosure of glass it wouldn't work so well from a heat retention perspective. So in that case I might look at perspex.
I know some people use perspex for the doors but it never seems clear enough to me and gets scratched easily which will impact visibility in the long term.
I think glass would be the cheaper option too.

Fibreglass for enclosure doors and display windows?
How do you see through it?
I think I got confused and meant perspex not fibreglass
[doublepost=1515904784,1515904705][/doublepost]
I guess it depends on the enclosure build as much as anything. I have melamine enclosures. If I was building a full enclosure of glass it wouldn't work so well from a heat retention perspective. So in that case I might look at perspex.
I know some people use perspex for the doors but it never seems clear enough to me and gets scratched easily which will impact visibility in the long term.
Glass is definitely more expensive :eek:

is acrylic not worth using if used to house ackies or of similer size
[doublepost=1515913641,1515906506][/doublepost]

What do u mean by heat retention perspective? you have all melamine enclosures?

What do u mean by heat retention perspective? you have all melamine enclosures?

I mean that if I was in some way keen to build a full glass enclosure that perspex would be a better option in such a situation as it would hold more heat in than glass would.

As I have melamine I use glass. Don't need to worry so much about heat retention.

i am planning my first reptile enclosure, toss up over ply or melamine and trying to figure out the best front to put on, plexiglass or glass but read the plexi can absorb chemicals etc and scratchs an warps or fades with the uv and heat

the enclosures I build my self are made of pine,if I have to buy ready made they are usually melamine but I do have some made of glass,so I have some idea of each.Forget plastic or plexiglass as they scratch easily and discolour quickly.You MUST use glass doors for any long term enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back