Question about sterilizing wood for snakes bleach or milton?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungie71

Reaction score
Hi all

I have seen lots of posts regarding sterilising wood with water and bleach my question is
Would Milton be a better choice for sterilising?
due to
1) being used for sterilising baby bottles among other things
2) having less odour than bleach
And
3) not having the same warnings regarding contact with the skin

Chemical sterilisation isn't really necessary, soaking the wood in plain water and leaving it out in the sun would be fine.

There have been lots of threads created over the years on the subject, here is a link to one.

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/questions-help.221479/page-2

Its really how you want to deal with it. So long as you get the bugs off them so they dont multiply in the enclosure there is little need for treating them with special chemicals. I do soak overnight in bleach or disinfect then leave them to dry.

There have been lots of threads created over the years on the subject, here is a link to one.

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/questions-help.221479/page-2

Its really how you want to deal with it. So long as you get the bugs off them so they dont multiply in the enclosure there is little need for treating them with special chemicals. I do soak overnight in bleach or disinfect then leave them to dry.

I get that there are lots of topics on this I've read quite a few pf them but they all talk about whether or not to use bleach, and I get that bleach is a good disinfectant but my thinking is that Milton would be an effective alternative to bleach with the same benefits but less harsh residual odour and residues

I filled up my bath tub with hot water. Tipped I think 250 or 500mls of bleach in and and I put my sticks in there. Turning them here and there and left them in there for about 1-3 hours. Took them out and washed them with cold water outside. Put them on the fence in the sun for about a day then I sparyed them with f10 and let me out in the sun again for a day or 2. I left them out there for like 4 days cause I was lazy

I get that there are lots of topics on this I've read quite a few pf them but they all talk about whether or not to use bleach, and I get that bleach is a good disinfectant but my thinking is that Milton would be an effective alternative to bleach with the same benefits but less harsh residual odour and residues

If thats what you want to use it should be fine mate. Not saying its any better but it will do the job.

A day or two in a black garbage bag in the sun is going to be just as effective. There is no need to use harsh chemicals on enclosure timber. Timber that your reptile may spend considerable time on.

I was in the tree removal buisness for many years and all of my enclosures are furnished with the spoils of my occupation. I never treated any of it with chemicals. A quick brush off or a rinse with the hose and left to dry in the sun was all it received. Never had an issue!

What should I use to disinfect these branches and plants? Oh christ, it's raining, it could wash down all sorts of nasties in from the overhanging trees. Can't have that!
View attachment 322790
I'll PM you my shipping address Waterrat. We don't get much rain and have no trees to leach dangerous chemical even if it does rain. Then you won't need to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back