Ackie / gillens Monitor set ups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Could i please see what other keepers set ups look like and what the enlosures are made out of.

Cheers Haydn

thanks mate, your the person that had a nasty bite on the arm?

hahaha yeah mate , my blacked monitor bit me , pretty good, i didn't clean it and ended up in hospital for 5 days and opened up and had it cleaned out , so if and when you are bit clean it out once cleaned clean it again too make sure!

damn! can ackies do that?

Technically any animal could do that- if you don’t clean out any bite wound properly you’re likely going to be very susceptible to infections.
Particularly with monitors as they carry so much bacteria in their mouths.

Always have an antibacterial in my reptile room just in case I ever get bitten. Wash out the wound with it- stings like a bitch but would rather that then an infection.
I’ve also sprayed some open bites out with normal dilute f10 when I had misplaced the usual stuff. Worked the same

i don't see how it's so much of a surprise honestly. Even brevis can give some pretty nasty bites for their size, nor even taking into account not cleaning it well enough, etc.

i'd say 4 feet tall at the minimum, 6-8? feet long? just judging by memory from reading about them, i'm pretty sure 6x2?x4 would do, yeah. they like to burrow anyways :)

never owned lizards and snakes before, so doing as much research as i can, get everything right before i even think of getting anything

Let's see if we can get @imported-varanus @Richard Biffin

A lovely and knowledgeable person for monitor advice, if I do say so myself :)
To Kind, Vamps:)! I kept mine, both Ackies and Gillens in 1200mm x 800mm x 600mm glass vivs, the last measurement being height, not width, so more floor space than usual. Great species to keep, very hardy if you provide a suitable hot spot (50C-60C, and over). Heat'um and feed'um. Of course, you would have an ambient enclosure temp of 25C-30C, depending on weather forecasts for your area. Hope this helps;).

odatria cages 001.JPG

odatria cages 002.JPG

odatria cages 001.JPG

holy lord, thats an awesome enclosure, which ones the ackie and gillens enclosure or are they similier set ups/ cages? how many u have per enclosure. atm planing some enclosures in my head before i put to paper also working out the size the enclosure has to be because of the nsw CoP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back