Diporiphora magna and Diporiphora bilineata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longirostris

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am planning a breeding program for a couple of hard to get species of Dragon lizards and was interested to hear from members of the forum how much interest people would have in acquiring some of the offspring if I can actually get these species breeding consistently.

Both species are tropical species from the top end of Australia and require appropriate husbandry management for optimum maintenance. With the right care they respond really well to a captive environment, are particularly interesting display animals and will usually live somewhere between 5-8 years. I have kept both species over a long period in my collection but I have never bred D.magna. This is largely because I have never been able to really establish a good sized breeding colony. I am expecting to be able to finally establish a good sized colony of both species in the near future. I am quite excited by the prospect of conducting a breeding program for D.magna particularly and would like to hear from interested people who want to see these species become more readily available to private keepers.

Responses and discussion in the forum would be fantastic, please don't pm me as there is no availability of any animals at this stage. Just looking for peoples thoughts on the future of these species in private collections and who would be interested in keeping them if available.

Mark Hawker

of any dragons i'd love to have Diporiphora superba. though, i don't think they are or ever have been bred in captivity.
[doublepost=1516319179,1516319120][/doublepost]following either way, i like the small dragons :)
[doublepost=1516319234][/doublepost]also, i'd love some, Later.

Hey Mark,

I'm very much interested in getting both species! It would be good to see them around in captivity!

Mitch

Good stuff Mark, it would be great for the hobby if you can get these going. There will be plenty of keepers interested if you were able to get the go ahead. Best of luck!

G'day Mark.

I would be very keen to see these two become more readily available in the hobby and I'd certainly be keen on keeping them myself.

I have always kept an eye on what you kèep and it's a credit to yourself that tbese critters may be available for others to enjoy.

Wally

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback, I know there is some trepidation with harder to get species so your expressions of interest are terrific. Hopefully I can get these guys breeding in enough numbers to make them available to you.

The D.magna are going to be a real learning curve as there is very little known about these guys as far as breeding in captivity goes. The D.bilineata have been bred many times in captivity by myself and others and whilst still a challenge I am quite confident of success with these.

I am hopeful of starting work on this project so that we are ready for next breeding season.

I'll keep you informed of how it is tracking.

Mark Hawker
[doublepost=1516508000,1516412470][/doublepost]

of any dragons i'd love to have Diporiphora superba. though, i don't think they are or ever have been bred in captivity.
[doublepost=1516319179,1516319120][/doublepost]following either way, i like the small dragons :)

[doublepost=1516319234][/doublepost]also, i'd love some, Later.

I recently received a paper published back in 1989 on the very subject of Diporiphora superba and captive breeding. The feat was achieved by the Australian Reptile Park back and the paper was authored by John Weigal. Other than this though I am not aware of any other breeding successes for this species. This species is a very cryptic species, which is very hard to locate even in its native range.

There are no doubt a lot of people who would love to have these in the hobby as well, myself chief among them but the chances of this happening are virtually nil as these are not on any schedules that I am aware of and any collect permits would be almost impossible to get.

We can all dream though, hey

Cheers

Mark Hawker

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

I too would be extremely interested in obtaining these species. It would be great to see a greater availability of a number of these species in captivity which are unfortunately becoming harder and harder to track down these types of small dragons and it would be fantastic if some of the more successful keepers such as yourself could get your hands on them to help boost the populations available to the public.

P.S once you have breeding success please place me high on the list, would very much like both these species.

Cheers,
Tyson

While I probably wouldn't have the space to keep them, well done on having a go at breeding them, and good luck with your projects. If anyone can do it successfully, it would be you mate.
I think it's great to see any rarer species coming into the hobby.

Hi Tyson and Pinefamily, I've been up on the Gold coast for a week or so at Coolangatta actually to take my son and his mate surfing at Snapper's and all points between down to Kirra. Anyway I didn't see your posts so I apologise for the late response.

Thanks to both of you for your interest and kind comments. I guess the next thing now is to see how we go with the regulatory authorities about getting a collect permit and get these guys established. I will post up progress notes from time to time to keep you all informed of how we are tracking.

Lets keep our fingers crossed we can get these species established

Cheers

Mark Hawker

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back