Reptile licence

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danyjv

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed .
I currently have my R1 and the two years are almost up so I’m wanting to go for my R2. When I read it it’s confusing me as it sounds like I can go for my R2 but as iv only had pythons on my R1 I can only get R2 pythons nexted. Is that correct ? Or can I get what ever is on the r2 species list ?
Thanks in advance ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you’re in NSW?
From what I’m aware, after applying for and been approved your R2 license, you can only buy animals the the same species as you’ve owned previously.
For example:
If you currently own a Spotted Python on R1, you can purchase a GTP on the R2, however you couldn’t purchase an R2 gecko without first having owned a gecko of R1 classing (not sure if there’s a time frame of how long...) I’ll be applying for my R2 later this year, so I’ll be interested to know how it works...

I assume you’re in NSW?
From what I’m aware, after applying for and been approved your R2 license, you can only buy animals the the same species as you’ve owned previously.
For example:
If you currently own a Spotted Python on R1, you can purchase a GTP on the R2, however you couldn’t purchase an R2 gecko without first having owned a gecko of R1 classing (not sure if there’s a time frame of how long...) I’ll be applying for my R2 later this year, so I’ll be interested to know how it works...

Sorry yes nsw

Bugger . So al I can really get on r2 is a gtp , roughy or a scrubby ..

Last edited by a moderator:
so for me to own a frill neck i need to own/ have any of the lizards in the dragon section?
you have this correct,to upgrade you need to have experience with a similar creature,ie;2 years with a beardy or similar will qualify you for an upgrade to a boyds or frilly.
Same thing with snakes,2 years with say childrens pythons will allow you to upgrade to R2.
I have been through this so I know what a drama it is.
But yes you must have experience with a similar creature to be allowed the upgrade

Last edited:
wait, so you can have jacky's or netteds one year but then upgrade to a boyd's or frilly in the short period of 2 years?...or go from dwarf monitors to an argus?.....Wat

you have this correct,to upgrade you need to have experience with a similar creature,ie;2 years with a beardy or similar will qualify you for an upgrade to a boyds or frilly.
Same thing with snakes,2 years with say childrens pythons will allow you to upgrade to R2.
I have been through this so I know what a drama it is.
But yes you must have experience with a similar creature to be allowed the upgrade

Thanks for clearing that up[emoji1303]

All not bad options......

Yes but my end goal was a rbb.. might have to look into a r1 elapid.

A surprising amount of incorrect info in here (or maybe not so surprising...). To apply, you will need to list animal types which you have owned from the R1 list but once you've got the licence, they'll let you own anything on the R2 list. They don't approve you with caveats or a sub-list of what you can and can't own.

The real issue is whether you feel confident owning something which may have particular husbandry requirements but that you have had no prior experience with.

Lol well I hope saximus is correct . (No offence to the others it’ll just make my life easier if he is )

It was correct for me for both R1-R2 and R2-R3 (4 and 5 don't really count since it's all elapids from there on anyway)

Another question for my r2 licence do I tick advanced non ven as r2 isn’t an option
f4b234ca7ecc894472ca6c282e3e26fb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back