Male female size difference

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southernserpent

Reaction score
What do people think about dramatic differences in size of male and females when breeding. Is their any tips or recommendations when it comes to the risks associated with this

What dramatic differences in size do you refer to? Any particular species you are referring too?
Males are generally smaller than females anyway.

Sorry I was referring to snakes and carpet pythons in particular. I wasnt referring to any size in particular just wondering if anyone thinks their is a maximum and minimum size difference or if it is completely safe to breed a young male just coming to breeding age with a fully grown female and vice versa. Also if anyone has encountered any issues breeding snakes of dramatically different sizes

Not normally an issue but it comes down to species.
For example I wouldn't put a small male BHP in at the beginning of the season as she might consider it a snack.
Males have been known to successfully breed & produce young at 6 months old though I haven't managed with anything under 18 months.

Small male I used last season, he was 2 and a half but has always been a bad feeder.
Successfully produced a clutch to
06f38dc53a582e5444713f91ab5652b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks kittycat big difference between those two

Yup!! Shows it can defintely be done, but with any introduction make sure you watch them for a bit and get a good grasp of there behaviours :)
I’ll be attempting to breed an even smaller male this season out of curiosities sake though it will be a Murray Darling pairing and they are smaller than there coastal cousins anyway :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back