Weird spiny spider

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported_tuatara

Reaction score
So I was looking at a juvenile wolf spider, lost it, was looking for it on the shed and then something fell off the roof, it was this spider...it has a vibrant yellow backside and even more vibrant, yellow dots on the underbelly. Also on the underbelly the black spines go to a vibrant orange colour, same with all of the abdomen underside that aren't spots, as most know I live in Ballarat, can anyone ID this?(sorry for the bad photos, took it with a crappy old phone.

IMG_20180126_153942.jpg

Hi mate, looks to me like a Spiny Spider - Austracantha minax
Also known as the Christmas spider or Jewel spider.

Habitat and Biology
Also known as the Christmas spider or jewel spider, the spiny spider is found throughout most of Australia. It appears to prefer to live in shrubby woodlands, and is often found in colonies where large numbers of individuals congregate to construct their webs. Each spider makes its own individual web, but laced together the webs become large imposing structures capable of enshrouding entire bushes and causing annoyance to bushwalkers. Egg sacs are red brown in colour and vary in shape from pointed at each end to circular in shape. They are normally attached to a twig on the periphery of the web.

Colour
Male: Similar to female.
Female: Cephalothorax black. Abdomen black with a mottled yellow and white pattern of variable extent. Some specimens are completely black. Abdominal surface with a smooth enamelled appearance. Legs orange.

Form
Abdomen with six large projecting spines, cephalothorax small, legs short and stout. Male much smaller than female.

Body Length
Male: 3mm
Female: 9mm

Web type
Orb web. These spiders often occur in colonies with multiple overlapping webs.

Bite
This spider is rarely known to bite; however, the bite is recorded as mildly painful with a local reaction.

Last edited:
The moment I read the title I had a feeling it was a Christmas weaver!
They make regular webs in the middle of our agapanthus bushes

The moment I read the title I had a feeling it was a Christmas weaver!
They make regular webs in the middle of our agapanthus bushes
Yep, we have 3 resident ones here that spin a big tangled web every night from the gutter over the back door to the hedge along the fence. Every time I take something out to the wheelie bins, I walk straight into it... Then start doing wild spider web in the face Karate moves. LOL

It is indeed a Christmas (Spiny or Jewelled) spider Austracantha minax, in the orb-weaver family Araneidae, which includes the colourful St. Andrew’s Cross spider and the plain garden orb-weaver. Looks like you have a female there, which are about twice the size of the males.
when i was little i used to call them bird poo spiders lol
The Bird Poo Spider, Celaenia excavata, is a different spider but does look somewhat similar and is also in the same family.
upload_2018-1-27_2-57-9.png

I really don’t do eight legged beasties but that actually looks pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really.oooh No thanks lol

My best friend from work has around 10 tarantulas and even a huntsmen, he’s so weird (lol) even tho I don’t like spiders some of the colours are pretty cool, he’s got loads of other inverts and snakes too

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Really.oooh No thanks lol

My best friend from work has around 10 tarantulas and even a huntsmen, he’s so weird (lol) even tho I don’t like spiders some of the colours are pretty cool, he’s got loads of other inverts and snakes too

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Yeah, our T's are nowhere near as colourful as some of the American, African, Asian and Brazillian one's. You'd be amazed at how long they can live. Males usually live 3-5 years but female T's like my North QLD whistler can go as long as 25 years. Some go 35 years plus. These guys will live longer than most people's pet snakes.
20170913_165243.jpg 20170913_165336.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back