Parrot question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my works yellow tails, sulphurs and gang gangs.

Eclectus parrots like to do their own things and talk smack.

Macaws I’m not really sure about except they’re noisier than the other 2

They’re extremely smart and you will need a padlock system if you do use a cage.

Speaking of geese, I love cape barrens
My daughter's Conure worked out how to remove a keyring that was used to lock a side door on its cage. It wasn't a cheap thin keyring either. Smart and damn strong.

Mine thinks it's a guard dog... whenever someone she doesn't know approaches me, she flies at their head and nibbles them to death.
My budgie goes ballistic whenever I get home from work and when someone comes over that he doesn't know... Nothing like what you mentioned, he just makes one god almighty racket and does the whole open wings and head down thing. LOL

My cockatiel would just wolf whistle at everyone except me.. I was the only one she bit :( I never did anything to her and was only one who got her out and about

My cockatiel would just wolf whistle at everyone except me.. I was the only one she bit :( I never did anything to her and was only one who got her out and about
HAHAHHAHA!!! My budgie wolf whistles at my wife and says "Sexy mama" :D

…if they did some research they'd probably change their mind, But they won't, nor care what I have to say about it.
I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm but given the number of critters you have said “I want one of those” in various threads, I’d be saying “No” as a parent as well. It is irritating just reading it, let alone having to listen to it. And yet somehow your parents are always to blame.
If you don’t mind me asking, just what animals do you have at the moment?

A bluey- and what I've asked about and what I've thought about are different, there's a long list of animals I know instantly the idea will be rejected so i don't ask, most of which are the ones I say "I want one of those" about on here.

You are a bright young lad, so you would understand that when you say "I want one of those" it conveys the meaning "I want to get one of those when given the opportunity". (That's a small zoo by my reckoning.) Even saying something like it would be nice to have one of those, does not convey you intend to get one. It also comes across as: "I want, I want, I want and I don't think is an accurate reflection on you. That's why I mentioned it. As far as your parents are concerned, I have no idea what other possessions they have given you or allow you. It just seems unbalanced that they can be painted by you as uncaring without any opportunity to defend themselves. Then again, maybe I am just being a grumpy old man?

Last edited:
I love my works yellow tails, sulphurs and gang gangs.

Eclectus parrots like to do their own things and talk smack.

Macaws I’m not really sure about except they’re noisier than the other 2

They’re extremely smart and you will need a padlock system if you do use a cage.

Speaking of geese, I love cape barrens
Coco my yellow tail that lives in the house can open anything, I let her loose in the house while I'm there but she has a big cage for when I'm not. I have padlocks on her cage, even the swing out bowls as she worked out she could pull out the bowls and pivot out the holder and crawl like a rat through the opening. I used to have other caged birds, king parrots and crimson wings, Coco used to open their cages that had various types of latches to check out their food. She watches everything you do and learns how to open things, can even unscrew bottle tops and jars, loves keyboards, can turn on my inkjet printer so the touch controls light up then she pecks them. Never kept Macaws but I know someone who lives on 5 acres and still has huge neighbour problems with the noise. Pet yellow tails communicate (very loud) with the wild ones and it is not unusual to have a flock lob in your backyard, that used to happen with my king parrots too.

Coco my yellow tail that lives in the house can open anything, I let her loose in the house while I'm there but she has a big cage for when I'm not. I have padlocks on her cage, even the swing out bowls as she worked out she could pull out the bowls and pivot out the holder and crawl like a rat through the opening. I used to have other caged birds, king parrots and crimson wings, Coco used to open their cages that had various types of latches to check out their food. She watches everything you do and learns how to open things, can even unscrew bottle tops and jars, loves keyboards, can turn on my inkjet printer so the touch controls light up then she pecks them. Never kept Macaws but I know someone who lives on 5 acres and still has huge neighbour problems with the noise. Pet yellow tails communicate (very loud) with the wild ones and it is not unusual to have a flock lob in your backyard, that used to happen with my king parrots too.
Is coco free flighted by chance, as in u let her fly outside ? Sounds like a good friend

My cert 2 teacher had a major mitchel who was free flighted and would come back at night EVERY day untill one day she didn’t.. 3months later she showed up as if she never disappeared, and there was a male major mitchel hanging about chilling on the telephone pole wires :)

Free flight is one of the things I'd definitely wanna try, not allowed to have the bird fly around the house other than my room, so after getting it off a harness it'd be in my interests to . also, with the sound- no matter(if I get a larger parrot) I'll have soundproof foam, i don't have acreage to block the noise from the neighbors- Lol

Is coco free flighted by chance, as in u let her fly outside ? Sounds like a good friend

My cert 2 teacher had a major mitchel who was free flighted and would come back at night EVERY day untill one day she didn’t.. 3months later she showed up as if she never disappeared, and there was a male major mitchel hanging about chilling on the telephone pole wires :)
Yes she can fly outdoors under supervision but I am very wary of the wild yellowtails that regularly turn up and there are lots of other aggressive wild birds like lorikeets and sulphur crested because I am next to a national park. Like most hand raised birds she is strongly bonded to humans and is actually frightened of wild birds. My house is big, open plan with tile floors and she does lots of laps inside, I have areas set up for her like perches and chairs with towels over them but she has her favourite spots and has to investigate anything new. Never had one but I understand Major Mitchell's are very highly strung and hard to train even when hand raised. My red tails were also hand raised from the egg by my ex wife but unfortunately spent years in an aviary when she separated from her 2nd husband and moved to a unit, I eventually ended up with them back but unfortunately after a long time in an aviary they are not as tame and human bonded as they were but they are very adjusted to their new aviary now and climb all over you when you go in, I spend a lot of time hand feeding them treats and they are almost back to their cuddly behaviour. The breeding birds were sold long ago but you have a lifetime obligation with the hand raised pets and unlike dogs they outlive you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back