What can you tell me about Blue tongues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Each breed of dog has been selectively bred for certain attributes. These may be physical attributes alone or primarily behavioural. For breeds based on physical attributes is appropriate to formalise these and expect members of the breed to conform to a highly specific set of narrow physical criteria. Where the breed is based primarily on behavioural characteristics, these take precedence over physical characteristics and depending upon the genetics of the breed, this can result in differing degrees of degrees of physical variation within the breed.

Jack Russell Terriers were bred as a working dog for fox hunting. Although primarily behavioural, this required physical attributes that enable it to follow foxes down earths and manoeuvre underground as freely as the fox does. They are genetically variable in physical features, with a broad standard but less so in their instinctive hunting behaviours. Based on the above quoted criterion. Jack Russell Terriers also cannot be considered as a breed.

From the start GSD’s were bred to guard the flock and stop it from straying into adjoining crops. Intelligence that allowed training to stop the flock wandering into specified areas was also selected for. These attributes of protection of home territory and its occupants, loyalty/responsiveness to its owner, and intelligence and trainability, have been selected for from the outset and are what suit it to the role of protection/guardian dog in modern situations, including families.
Jack Russell terriers are considered a breed with their origins being in England but their country of development is Australia.

That's a poor attitude to have. It's not dissimilar to irresponsible cat owners allowing their pets to free roam. Excuses that "killing things is part of their nature" is no reason to allow your pet to kill wildlife. Seeing as it's near impossible to train cats the only solution is to confine them indoors or in a cat run. Dogs can be trained, however. Or at the very least only allow them into the yard while under supervision. It sounds as though your dogs will attack and kill any small creatures that crosses their paths. That's the impression I get when I read such posts.
If you read my post properly you would understand that I don't condone dogs attacking wildlife especially reptiles and natives( I don't care about indian minors though). When I was married,we had rottwiellers and dobermanns which would never attack small creatures,after I got divorced and her rottie died my ex got a miniature foxie which turned into a small animal killer,hence the dead lizards.
And I agree totally with keeping cats indoors,anyone who lets them roam is an Ars@#$e in my opinion

If you read my post properly you would understand that I don't condone dogs attacking wildlife especially reptiles and natives( I don't care about indian minors though). When I was married,we had rottwiellers and dobermanns which would never attack small creatures,after I got divorced and her rottie died my ex got a miniature foxie which turned into a small animal killer,hence the dead lizards.
And I agree totally with keeping cats indoors,anyone who lets them roam is an Ars@#$e in my opinion

I'm pleased to hear that, dragonlover1. I share a similar opinion to those who allow their dogs to harass and kill wildlife, regardless if it's part of their breed characteristics or not. People have a responsibility to keep their pets under control.

I'm pleased to hear that, dragonlover1. I share a similar opinion to those who allow their dogs to harass and kill wildlife, regardless if it's part of their breed characteristics or not. People have a responsibility to keep their pets under control.
Pets are always under control when we're present. Simple. If I'm home and have the opportunity to intervene and help something that my dogs may possible bolt, I'll always do what I can and I've been actively protecting the blueys. If I'm not home and nature takes place... that's life. People have to accept that certain things are a certain way and not everything is peaches and cream. In the end it all evens out in the wash. Man created every K9 breed that exists and we created them each for different things, protection, companionship, and hunting etc. We can't turn around and bitch and moan about the things we created. Jacks will be Jacks and of you can't handle that, the world you live in must be a very shallow one... me, I shoot for a living every day, I'm not as "oh my god" that animal attacked another creature as the tree huggers of today are... What next, should I be preventing the blueys from attacking and eating the snails in my garden?? Or the peewees from eating the worms??

Last edited:
at my old house i used to let my cat out and shes been out for 8 years and has never killed anything but rats and mice that annoy my aviary birds we let her out at our new one and she leaves every thing alone but the mice and huntsman's ive seen a baby bearded dragon at her feet and she didn't care

at my old house i used to let my cat out and shes been out for 8 years and has never killed anything but rats and mice that annoy my aviary birds we let her out at our new one and she leaves every thing alone but the mice and huntsman's ive seen a baby bearded dragon at her feet and she didn't care
Well that certainly bucks all the trends.

Pets are always under control when we're present. Simple. If I'm home and have the opportunity to intervene and help something that my dogs may possible bolt, I'll always do what I can and I've been actively protecting the blueys. If I'm not home and nature takes place... that's life. People have to accept that certain things are a certain way and not everything is peaches and cream. In the end it all evens out in the wash.

If everyone were to adopt your reasoning then it's perfectly fine for free roaming cats to kill wildlife simply because the owner's not present to intervene.

While I agree with cat and dog trapping I'd think you'd be pretty pissed if you got a call from the pound saying you'd need to pay because your dogs somehow got out but for some reason a cat owner should be any less angry?...not trying to take a piss at you but that logic is pretty dumb.

If everyone were to adopt your reasoning then it's perfectly fine for free roaming cats to kill wildlife simply because the owner's not present to intervene.
Free roaming cats aren't the same as dogs confined to a yard that bail up something that comes into the yard... stupid logic...

Ever seen a Jack scale a 6ft colorbond fence, launch into a tree and smash a bird?? Keep dreaming.

Last edited:
Where does one find one of those live traps? I need a couple
emoji6.png

Instagram: murph_BTK
I've got half a dozen of my own. You can buy them online or at Mitre 10.
P1000432-1.JPG

Champion AP I tried Bunnings but drew a blank look [emoji849].. I was searching gumtree and eBay..
Also tried the council where I live but they have none for loan..
I'll be off to mitre 10 2moro

Champion AP I tried Bunnings but drew a blank look [emoji849].. I was searching gumtree and eBay..
Also tried the council where I live but they have none for loan..
I'll be off to mitre 10 2moro

The one pictured above I got from here.
http://www.easypestsupplies.com.au/feral-cat-trap.html
It's a nice trap, have caught many cats in it. My others are slightly bigger traps from Mitre 10 as some cats are quite large and won't walk into the smaller trap.

Where does one find one of those live traps? I need a couple [emoji6]

Make sure to ring Mitre 10 first Murph so it isn't a wasted trip, the store he bought them from would be classed as rural I think and will have a lot more of those type of things, city stores don't appear to carry them.

I have bought from the below business before and can definitely recommend them.
https://traps.com.au

Last edited:
Blue tongues are pretty cool... I've never kept any lizards as pets but it's nice knowing they're in the back yard and living happily. Do they live in some sort of burrow or something?
Nah mostly they live behind bricks ,tiles, wood ,rubbish etc.
[doublepost=1517225658,1517225192][/doublepost]
The pygmy blue tongue found in SA(endangered) is basically a burrowing only species actually it's similar to a trap door with how it gets food, but has larger tunnels, seeing them eat is awesome.
It's been really great to see pygmy blue tongues again after they were thought to be extinct, so I would love to see them in private collections to build up their numbers.But correct me if I'm wrong,they are the only burrowing species!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back