Wasp sting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, I was stung by something yesterday afternoon. It was essentially shoo’d away by two people, straight into my leg and stung me as soon as it made impact, then flew off.

Stung like buggery but has since ballooned and I’m not sure what I can do to help it. I’ve tried cold packs and paw paw ointment but it just seems to be getting more and more swollen. I also can’t take antihistamines as I’m allergic to them.

I’m begrudgingly posting a picture to see if anyone has had a reaction to a sting like this as anything I’ve googled doesn’t look half as bad, other than of course a major allergic reaction.

I may not get any responses but I thought I’d give it a go.

TIA.

21FF75D1-7382-464A-9322-87084A64FB31.jpeg

Hi guys,

So, I was stung by something yesterday afternoon. It was essentially shoo’d away by two people, straight into my leg and stung me as soon as it made impact, then flew off.

Stung like buggery but has since ballooned and I’m not sure what I can do to help it. I’ve tried cold packs and paw paw ointment but it just seems to be getting more and more swollen. I also can’t take antihistamines as I’m allergic to them.

I’m begrudgingly posting a picture to see if anyone has had a reaction to a sting like this as anything I’ve googled doesn’t look half as bad, other than of course a major allergic reaction.

TIA.

View attachment 323060
Thats looking average stomps !
Definitely a wasp ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thats looking average stomps !
Definitely a wasp ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I didn’t see it for long enough to even see what it was. The two ladies I was with shoo’d it away from them and it bit/stung me as it bounced off my leg. I think it was pretty angry about having been swatted twice already. But no, it’s not looking great!

Hi guys,

TIA.

View attachment 323060
ahh that looks painful use ice for some reason when i get stung buy something and it swells up i use aloe Vera i dont know if itl work for you but it takes all the swelling away

Have you asked at the chemist? Because of allergies, there are alternatives to anithistamines I believe.

Have you asked at the chemist? Because of allergies, there are alternatives to anithistamines I believe.
Haven't been to a chemist yet. It didn't blow up until late yesterday and just got progressively worse. If it stays this way or gets worse, I'll have to go get something...

Have you ever had this reaction from a bee sting? If not, then it is probably a wasp bite.

Nope. And I tend to agree with you. It’s throbing and itchy and driving me bonkers!!
The real question is.... Did you bite it back? That's the only way they learn. Hahaha.

The body is a strange thing, I was stung several times by bees as a child under ten with nothing but a bit of pain. A couple of months ago I was stung on the hand by a bee and my hand swelled to three times its size, it was stiff and sore for a day and a half.
Wasps can also sting you when dead as I found out ten years ago. I had dispatched a wasp nest next to my driveway, but didn't think to get rid of the carcasses. I stepped on one the next day and boom it stung me.

The real question is.... Did you bite it back? That's the only way they learn. Hahaha.

The body is a strange thing, I was stung several times by bees as a child under ten with nothing but a bit of pain. A couple of months ago I was stung on the hand by a bee and my hand swelled to three times its size, it was stiff and sore for a day and a half.
Wasps can also sting you when dead as I found out ten years ago. I had dispatched a wasp nest next to my driveway, but didn't think to get rid of the carcasses. I stepped on one the next day and boom it stung me.
I'd love to describe them as I do in person to people, but I don't think that word can be used on a family friendly forum! :p

And I'm just glad that after biting me, he didn't call up his mates to come bash me even further!

I'm hearing you on that one, Scutellatus. For years living in Adelaide I was never bitten by a mosquito. I was starting to think it was something to do with my diabetes. Since moving to mid north SA, I have been nearly eaten alive by the mozzies up here. And they are bigger.

I have trained wasps nesting either side of my garage door as part of my security, they only attack strangers or anyone who tries to open the door without using the remote.
View attachment 323068 View attachment 323069
Nope.
[doublepost=1517292949,1517292916][/doublepost]Also, I went to the doc and he gave me antibiotics, just in case it turns into an abscess.

Definitely a wasp sting with that searing pain you get immediately after. I learned that one early in life – will save for another post.

To reduce the swelling put a cold pack on it for 15 to 20 minutes (no more), off for 20 mins, then on for 20 mins once an hour for the first day. If still swollen day then continue cold pack 20 mins once every one to 2 hours. After 2 days discontinue use of cold pack as it will no longer help but may hinder.

To reduce the inflammation, keep the affected area elevated and avoid using the muscles = rest.
A compression bandage can be applied over then above and below swelling site – do not restrict blood flow i.e. if your toes turn darker than it is too tight.
If you can take Ibuprofen that will help reduce inflammation and any residual pain/soreness.

Definitely a wasp sting with that searing pain you get immediately after. I learned that one early in life – will save for another post.

To reduce the swelling put a cold pack on it for 15 to 20 minutes (no more), off for 20 mins, then on for 20 mins once an hour for the first day. If still swollen day then continue cold pack 20 mins once every one to 2 hours. After 2 days discontinue use of cold pack as it will no longer help but may hinder.

To reduce the inflammation, keep the affected area elevated and avoid using the muscles = rest.
A compression bandage can be applied over then above and below swelling site – do not restrict blood flow i.e. if your toes turn darker than it is too tight.
If you can take Ibuprofen that will help reduce inflammation and any residual pain/soreness.
Thanks mate. I did put cold packs on but it just blew up. Has started to subside now and I’m sure the antibiotics will help too.

To reduce the itching you can apply hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion to the affected area. The cold packs should also help here.

If you follow the treatment recommended and it continues to swell up more tomorrow, then I’d recommend seeing a doctor you trust and discussing it with him/her.

The treatment for large reactions to bee or wasp stings is exactly the same as the recommended initial treatment for any soft tissue injury. This is because both are designed to reduce swelling, inflammation and pain.

Last edited:
Have been pounded by paper wasps before, was unchaining my pet goat that I had as a kid from a star picket fence and there was a nest on the star picket and I didn't even notice it there.... as I leaned over to unclip the chain, the brim of my cap hit the nest... well they let me have it... everywhere they stung me drew blood. Surprisingly enough, even as a kid it didn't hurt like I always expected it would... much more than a bee sting but nothing like the time I put my left hand palm down straight ontop of a bullrout in the Macleay river near Belgrave falls whilst chasing turtles. That's the worst sting I've ever felt.

Glad to hear it is responding well. The antibiotics are preventive only because the wasp may have had bacteria on its stinger and that has penetrated the protective outer layer of skin.

Cold packs don't stop swelling from occurring but they slow it down and can considerably reduce the amount of swelling. That, in turn, reduces the recovery time. Injuries can continue to swell for a couple of days, which is why they recommend use cold packs for the first 48 hours only. After that the use of warm packs helps tissues mend. I've had a few Phy Ed classes in my time as a teacher, so had to learn all the first aid stuff.

Now to my learning experience at an early age. I was sitting on the grass strip between the concrete paths of the driveway, when this beautifully coloured fly landed on the patchy kikuyu grass about a metre away. It flitted around like it was looking for something and suddenly went down a hole. Wanting to observe more I put my hand over the hole to keep it in. I then looked around and spotted my sister having atea party on the front with their dolls. So I yelled out to my twin to bring me one of the cups. Well Mum was just coming out front door to call us in for lunch as my twin handed me the cup. At the same time I let out one almighty bellow, jumped to my feet and did my best imitation of an Indian Rain Dance with tear streaming down my face and one hand firmly wrapped around the wrist of the other as I shook it up down in front of me. My sister looked at me, turned around to see Mum and immediately burst into tears blubbering something about how she didn’t do it, while at the same time wanting offer to offer me comfort, but afraid that she might incriminate in so doing. So she burst into tears and started to lose it.

Poor old Mum didn’t know what to make of it. Should she be chastising someone for doing something to some else, although she had no idea what. Or should she be offering solace to her upset little twins. The trials and tribulations of being a parent. As for me, I very quickly learned the difference between wasps and flies and never made the same mistake again.

As for the paper wasps, I did once accidentally disturb a nest in a bush. I heard the collective drone of dozens of wings beating and would have given Usane Bolt a run for his money given the rate I hightailed it out of there. Remarkably, I got off scott free. Not one sting.

Like Scutellatus, I used to get them inside the shed. I could go in and out and they never worried about me. A few times they started to construct their nests below the door aperture, which was a little too close to me head for comfort. O having an understanding of their ecology, I sprayed the nest several time a day for several days with a water bottle. Sure enough, they decided they had built in the wrong place and abandoned that construction. I probably did that half a dozen times in 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back