What can you tell me about Blue tongues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pets are always under control when we're present. Simple. If I'm home and have the opportunity to intervene and help something that my dogs may possible bolt, I'll always do what I can and I've been actively protecting the blueys. If I'm not home and nature takes place... that's life. People have to accept that certain things are a certain way and not everything is peaches and cream. In the end it all evens out in the wash. Man created every K9 breed that exists and we created them each for different things, protection, companionship, and hunting etc. We can't turn around and bitch and moan about the things we created. Jacks will be Jacks and of you can't handle that, the world you live in must be a very shallow one... me, I shoot for a living every day, I'm not as "oh my god" that animal attacked another creature as the tree huggers of today are... What next, should I be preventing the blueys from attacking and eating the snails in my garden?? Or the peewees from eating the worms??

Free roaming cats aren't the same as dogs confined to a yard that bail up something that comes into the yard... stupid logic...

Ever seen a Jack scale a 6ft colorbond fence, launch into a tree and smash a bird?? Keep dreaming.

It's all the same to me. Cat. Dog. Killing in or out of the yard. I see it as the result of an irresponsible owner allowing their pets to kill wildlife. Call me a tree hugger if you like. While I don't actively hug trees I care deeply for our native flora and fauna. As you so eloquently put, dogs are man-made. To have them killing wildlife is not really a part of nature, is it? I find it interesting how the world is full of double standards. When cats and cane toads wreck havoc on our native wildlife many howl for blood. When man's so called best friend does the same, no one appears to care and simply dismisses it as "life". They're all doing what comes naturally to them, but that's no excuse to allow it to happen.

For the record, I didn't create dogs. I'm fully aware of life and death as I breed and kill my own food. I also keep carnivorous animals as pets, of which I also breed and kill food for them.

Seeing as you're quick to edit the main content of your posts, as well as slinging foul language to get your point across, and readily insult people with who you don't agree with; trying to engage in a rational discussion with you is pointless.

Dogs are basically inbred deformed domesticated wolves, nothing natural about them, they've just been so defined/inbred that they're so genetically different that they're a different species. I'd get rid of a dog on my lawn as fast as any cat or cane toad, or at least will once I hopefully own my own property. -No,I'm not saying the keeping of dogs is absurd or that they're any less important because of their history. Either.

Pets are always under control when we're present. Simple. If I'm home and have the opportunity to intervene and help something that my dogs may possible bolt, I'll always do what I can and I've been actively protecting the blueys. If I'm not home and nature takes place... that's life. People have to accept that certain things are a certain way and not everything is peaches and cream. In the end it all evens out in the wash. Man created every K9 breed that exists and we created them each for different things, protection, companionship, and hunting etc. We can't turn around and bitch and moan about the things we created. Jacks will be Jacks and of you can't handle that, the world you live in must be a very shallow one... me, I shoot for a living every day, I'm not as "oh my god" that animal attacked another creature as the tree huggers of today are... What next, should I be preventing the blueys from attacking and eating the snails in my garden?? Or the peewees from eating the worms??
Settle down Kev,if you keep them under control we have no problem,We are talking about morons who don't control their animals!

Free roaming cats aren't the same as dogs confined to a yard that bail up something that comes into the yard... stupid logic...

Ever seen a Jack scale a 6ft colorbond fence, launch into a tree and smash a bird?? Keep dreaming.
Actually, it is the same thing. It’s an introduced animal, not native to this country, killing native wildlife. It makes no difference if it’s a cat or a dog. And if you think otherwise, your logic is ridiculously flawed.

Also, anyone who says ‘my cat never killed anything’ has no clue about how cats work. But further to that, after all the talk in this thread about how jack russells are bred to be hunters, it is your responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen to our native wildlife, even in your own backyard, by training that dog.

They were here long before you were and we brought in these animals, so it should be our obligation to ensure their survival.

/endrant

Actually, it is the same thing. It’s an introduced animal, not native to this country, killing native wildlife. It makes no difference if it’s a cat or a dog. And if you think otherwise, your logic is ridiculously flawed.

Also, anyone who says ‘my cat never killed anything’ has no clue about how cats work. But further to that, after all the talk in this thread about how jack russells are bred to be hunters, it is your responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen to our native wildlife, even in your own backyard, by training that dog.

They were here long before you were and we brought in these animals, so it should be our obligation to ensure their survival.

/endrant
Well said Stompsy! It isn't a rant if it is factual, which that is.

You want to label me irresponsible I suggest you go back and have a look at the very first photos in this thread.... they would be a lot different if I was an irresponsible pet owner, matter of fact, this thread wouldn't even exist if that were the case I have done everything to protect those blueys and will continue to do so. A Jack's prey drive cannot be revoked and attempting to do so is a fool's errand, however, the IMPACT of a Jack's prey drive can be minimised and that's what I've been doing at home. If you look back through this thread you'll see I even trap the goddamn rats! Why would someone trap rats when they have Jack Russell terriers, the best rat hunters that exist?? Why?? Firstly because Australia has a number of native rats and small marsupials... If I trap them I can safely release them.... If I trap Rattus rattus, I can dispose of them humanely... will a Jack differentiate between native and non native wildlife? No. Minimising the IMPACT is my angle. With me actively trapping I'm also removing the opportunity for my Jack's to exercise their prey drive in an area that I don't want them to So quit bashing me and my dogs and calling me irresponsible when I'm actually very far from it. I can protect the creatures within the perimeter of my property without having to "train my ruthless killing machines" of dogs. My dogs are working terriers, I want them to have that high energy and high drive when in the field. At home I've always taken measures to remove the opportunity for them to exercise that drive. In public I always ALWAYS keep them from attacking other dogs unless that dog attacks them.

My young children have also been educated on our native wildlife and understand the importance of preserving it. They alerted me by screaming out for assistance when they could have quite easily encouraged Alaska to kill the skink. I'm proud of my children and I love them and my dogs.

Comparing free roaming cats to a confined dog is absolutely ridiculous. My dogs, like all dogs wish to protect its family/pack on their home patch/territory, cats are not protecting their family when sollitarily hunting and indiscriminately killing wildlife all over the bloody neighbourood.

Last edited:
You want to label me irresponsible I suggest you go back and have a look at the very first photos in this thread.... they would be a lot different if I was an irresponsible pet owner, matter of fact, this thread wouldn't even exist if that were the case I have done everything to protect those blueys and will continue to do so. A Jack's prey drive cannot be revoked and attempting to do so is a fool's errand, however, the IMPACT of a Jack's prey drive can be minimised and that's what I've been doing at home. If you look back through this thread you'll see I even trap the goddamn rats! Why would someone trap rats when they have Jack Russell terriers, the best rat hunters that exist?? Why?? Firstly because Australia has a number of native rats and small marsupials... If I trap them I can safely release them.... If I trap Rattus rattus, I can dispose of them humanely... will a Jack differentiate between native and non native wildlife? No. Minimising the IMPACT is my angle. With me actively trapping I'm also removing the opportunity for my Jack's to exercise their prey drive in an area that I don't want them to So quit bashing me and my dogs and calling me irresponsible when I'm actually very far from it. I can protect the creatures within the perimeter of my property without having to "train my ruthless killing machines" of dogs. My dogs are working terriers, I want them to have that high energy and high drive when in the field. At home I've always taken measures to remove the opportunity for them to exercise that drive. In public I always ALWAYS keep them from attacking other dogs unless that dog attacks them.

My young children have also been educated on our native wildlife and understand the importance of preserving it. They alerted me by screaming out for assistance when they could have quite easily encouraged Alaska to kill the skink. I'm proud of my children and I love them and my dogs.

Comparing free roaming cats to a confined dog is absolutely ridiculous. My dogs, like all dogs wish to protect its family/pack on their home patch/territory, cats are not protecting their family when sollitarily hunting and indiscriminately killing wildlife all over the bloody neighbourood.
"If I am not home and nature takes place.... that's life".

Why do you think people are calling you irresponsible.
In a case like that your mutt is the invasive pest killing native wildlife. They could easily be restrained, on or in a dog run when you aren't present, that's if you were serious about protecting natve wildlife.

"If I am not home and nature takes place.... that's life".

Why do you think people are calling you irresponsible.
In a case like that your mutt is the invasive pest killing native wildlife. They could easily be restrained, on or in a dog run when you aren't present, that's if you were serious about protecting natve wildlife.
^ this

The simple fact is, cats have always been seen as the only domestic killing machine, when really, dogs can do just as much damage.

And no matter which way you present it, it is not natural. As I stated previously, your dog is an introduced animal, it isn't native and has no place in any ecosystem in this country. So when it kills a lizard/snake/native rat, that's not nature taking place...

Has been a very productive morning so far walking a 500 acre privately owned property with the bow in Goombungee. Have successfully whistled up 4 cats with the Silva fox whistle, all dispatched with 85g Auscut Broadheads on 58lb draw from no more than 30-40m.

Hoping for a fox or 2 later in the day as the wind dies down.

Has been a very productive morning so far walking a 500 acre privately owned property with the bow in Goombungee. Have successfully whistled up 4 cats with the Silva fox whistle, all dispatched with 85g Auscut Broadheads on 58lb draw from no more than 30-40m.

Good to see you avoiding discussions again... round and round we go.

Is this your idea of "it all evens out in the wash"?
While what you are doing by hunting feral pests is a great thing, it no way negates your dogs killing anything native.
There is no "evens out in the wash" when a native animal is killed, something that can be so easily prevented by locking your dogs up when not present.

Hey champ I've ignored your ridiculous comments because all you came back with is I should confine my dogs to a dog run, lock them up when I'm not there... If you had been paying attention to all the info presented here you would see that Jack's can't be confined like your fake American pit bull mut. And buy the way, my mutts as you put them, all combined would be worth more than your car. But let's just say for arguments sake that you could mistreat Jack's that way and confine them... great... might as well take the front door off my house, take it out to the street and lean it against the mail box and paint a sign on it saying "open house, 2am -2pm free sh*t, help yourself, don't worry about the dogs, they're locked up." Not to mention I'dbe reported to the RSPCA for mistreatment of JRT's the noise they would make would be insane.

Dumbest idea ever. 2 words cobber - 1. Electric, 2. Fence. She's all sorted. I've run a wire to keep thjem from getting into the bordering garden beds

When you eventually get your own house and property, you do with it what you see fit but since this is my property and my dogs (which you have no idea about at all) I suggest you stop trying to push your ridiculous impractical ideas.

Problem has been solved, the blueys haven't been hurt to this day and will not be hurt now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back