Wasp sting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear it is responding well. The antibiotics are preventive only because the wasp may have had bacteria on its stinger and that has penetrated the protective outer layer of skin.

Cold packs don't stop swelling from occurring but they slow it down and can considerably reduce the amount of swelling. That, in turn, reduces the recovery time. Injuries can continue to swell for a couple of days, which is why they recommend use cold packs for the first 48 hours only. After that the use of warm packs helps tissues mend. I've had a few Phy Ed classes in my time as a teacher, so had to learn all the first aid stuff.

Now to my learning experience at an early age. I was sitting on the grass strip between the concrete paths of the driveway, when this beautifully coloured fly landed on the patchy kikuyu grass about a metre away. It flitted around like it was looking for something and suddenly went down a hole. Wanting to observe more I put my hand over the hole to keep it in. I then looked around and spotted my sister having atea party on the front with their dolls. So I yelled out to my twin to bring me one of the cups. Well Mum was just coming out front door to call us in for lunch as my twin handed me the cup. At the same time I let out one almighty bellow, jumped to my feet and did my best imitation of an Indian Rain Dance with tear streaming down my face and one hand firmly wrapped around the wrist of the other as I shook it up down in front of me. My sister looked at me, turned around to see Mum and immediately burst into tears blubbering something about how she didn’t do it, while at the same time wanting offer to offer me comfort, but afraid that she might incriminate in so doing. So she burst into tears and started to lose it.

Poor old Mum didn’t know what to make of it. Should she be chastising someone for doing something to some else, although she had no idea what. Or should she be offering solace to her upset little twins. The trials and tribulations of being a parent. As for me, I very quickly learned the difference between wasps and flies and never made the same mistake again.

As for the paper wasps, I did once accidentally disturb a nest in a bush. I heard the collective drone of dozens of wings beating and would have given Usane Bolt a run for his money given the rate I hightailed it out of there. Remarkably, I got off scott free. Not one sting.

Like Scutellatus, I used to get them inside the shed. I could go in and out and they never worried about me. A few times they started to construct their nests below the door aperture, which was a little too close to me head for comfort. O having an understanding of their ecology, I sprayed the nest several time a day for several days with a water bottle. Sure enough, they decided they had built in the wrong place and abandoned that construction. I probably did that half a dozen times in 25 years.
Did your hand swell up a lot?

From memory, no. It was just awfully bloody sore for a while. However it would seem that my only reaction to wasp stings is pain. I was riding a motor bike across Australia, somewhere east of Wilmington SA, and the temperature was in the 40’s. So I had my Belstaff jacket unbuttoned at the top to let some air flow into my upper chest. I was sitting on 120 km/h at the time and all of a sudden I felt this searing pain above my sternum. Then again and again and again, at which point the penny dropped. I had a wasp down the front of clothing. I don’t know how many more times it stung me before I put it out of my misery, but it was a few. I had no other reaction other than pain – and of course looking like a one-armed gorilla beating its chest at 120 km/hr on a large motorbike.

Different people react differently to the same wasp toxin and can experience a wide range of reactions for identical stings. There are many different wasp species. Then you have consider how much toxin was injected, how deep and exactly where in the body. So comparing different peoples’ reactions to wasp stings is probably of limited value.

The amount of swelling you experienced was a large reaction. However, the fact that it has begun to reduce within 24 hours is a good indicator that it unlikely you have problem with wasp toxin. But I am not a doctor and it is really not up to me make pronouncements on that. If the doctor you saw was happy enough to send you home then it would seem that they did not feel there was an underlying issues either. It might be worth a phone call to confirm that (if not already said) just for your peace of mind.

I do sympathise. It is a most unpleasant and disconcerting experience that can be quite unsettling. From what you have relayed to us, I am comfortable to provide reassurance that you can relax and not worry that your reaction was abnormal. Take heart from that, and take care.

Kind regards,
Mike

Last edited:
From memory, no. It was just awfully bloody sore for a while. However it would seem that my only reaction to wasp stings is pain. I was riding a motor bike across Australia, somewhere east of Wilmington SA, and the temperature was in the 40’s. So I had my Belstaff jacket unbuttoned at the top to let some air flow into my upper chest. I was sitting on 120 km/h at the time and all of a sudden I felt this searing pain above my sternum. Then again and again and again, at which point the penny dropped. I had a wasp down the front of clothing. I don’t know how many more times it stung me before I put it out of my misery, but it was a few. I had no other reaction other than pain – and of course looking like a one-armed gorilla beating its chest at 120 km/hr on a large motorbike.

Different people react differently to the same wasp toxin and can experience a wide range of reactions for identical stings. There are many different wasp species. Then you have consider how much toxin was injected, how deep and exactly where in the body. So comparing different peoples’ reactions to wasp stings is probably of limited value.

The amount of swelling you experienced was a large reaction. However, the fact that it has begun to reduce within 24 hours is a good indicator that it unlikely you have problem with wasp toxin. But I am not a doctor and it is really not up to me make pronouncements on that. If the doctor you saw was happy enough to send you home then it would seem that they did not feel there was an underlying issues either. It might be worth a phone call to confirm that (if not already said) just for your peace of mind.

I do sympathise. It is a most unpleasant and disconcerting experience that can be quite unsettling. Given that and what you have relayed to us, I am comfortable to provide reassurance that you can relax and not worry that your reaction was abnormal. take heart from that take care.

Kind regards,
Mike
Thanks so much for the info, stories and advice. :)

You are more than welcome. I wish I could more.
[doublepost=1517367636,1517314359][/doublepost]G'day @Stompsy. How's the sting site doing today?

You are more than welcome. I wish I could more.
[doublepost=1517367636,1517314359][/doublepost]G'day @Stompsy. How's the sting site doing today?
Hey :) The swelling has mostly subsided but its still tender and hot... I'm hoping that will also subside over the next few days too.

But overall, much much better than it was. :)

Thanks for asking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back