Another catcher bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very lucky man. It must have been a very small amount of venom for him not to feel the effects sooner.

The problem is more so with the paper for printing his words in my opinion.

A bit much for him to criticise Queensland regulation when it is so simple to obtain your venonous license in Victoria.
I guess they are all just cowboys up here to him.

Not sure why if you could see bite marks he didn't go to hospital just in case?

Last edited:
Very lucky man. It must have been a very small amount of venom for him not to feel the effects sooner.

It's not uncommon for a delayed reaction to happen with Brown bites. It only takes a scratch to be envenomated and it only takes the tiniest amount of venom to be lethal.

All that being said the guy's an idiot. He's taken a pic of the bite while he's sitting in a car and hasn't even bothered to bandage it. Even a suspect bite should be treated and medical assistance sought asap. Should have bandage it straight away and then headed of to the hospital and taken it from there. On top of that, going off the photo he doesn't even know how to head a ven properly.

I have to agree with Ray that dry bites are as rare as rocking horse **** and rarely happen and I also have to agree that it's not right that there are handlers with little or no experience running training courses and I think I've voice my concerns regarding the use of tongs in a previous post.

I also have to call bullshit on the accompanying video as to me it looks like a total setup and staged.

Yeah at the vens course I did they told us it is possible to be bitten by browns and not realise until some hours later until it hits you like a tonne of bricks

Yeah at the vens course I did they told us it is possible to be bitten by browns and not realise until some hours later until it hits you like a tonne of bricks
Wouldn’t the pain of being punctured be enough, or possibly the amount of blood? Especially from your fingers, they seem to bleed to no end

Wouldn’t the pain of being punctured be enough, or possibly the amount of blood? Especially from your fingers, they seem to bleed to no end

He said there are times where people can't see a puncture wound because their teeth can be so small.

I'm not saying it's common, but apparently happens.

I know if I was bitten by a brown I wouldn't be making a judgement on it being a dry bite based on how I feel right now.

It's a blasé attitude to take unless you have a death wish. Or maybe there is a bit of a 'big man' syndrome going on.

I know if I was bitten by a brown I wouldn't be making a judgement on it being a dry bite based on how I feel right now.

It's a blasé attitude to take unless you have a death wish. Or maybe there is a bit of a 'big man' syndrome going on.
He does look a bit on the big side to be catching snakes

He said there are times where people can't see a puncture wound because their teeth can be so small. I'm not saying it's common, but apparently happens.

It is true but here's a pic of the bite that accompanied the article and if he can't see this then he's blind as well as stupid.

a27b6e1187b68ff38c8c6f9ec193e58f.jpg

Or maybe there is a bit of a 'big man' syndrome going on.

I reckon you might have hit the nail on the head, but then again he might not have to much grey matter between his ears...lol.

ROFLMAO. I wasn't referring to physical size mate.
What does physical size even have to do with anything when it comes to catching snakes??
More surface area and agility if the snake goes nuts

More surface area and agility if the snake goes nuts

Making assumptions that you really shouldn't.
This goes hand in hand with sexism, ageism and the rest of the ism's.

Oh, and just a side thought, how about the skinny guy has shorter arms and therefor needs to get his body parts closer to the animal? (And I have seen plenty of very agile larger people)

Last edited:

I had the same thought, too proud to be sensible and get it checked.
[doublepost=1517538457,1517538318][/doublepost]
I reckon you might have hit the nail on the head, but then again he might not have to much grey matter between his ears...lol.
Maybe both, he is in Gympie after all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a large man (not necessarily fat) fair better than a skinny guy? More area for the venom to dissipate?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a large man (not necessarily fat) fair better than a skinny guy? More area for the venom to dissipate?
I don't know if he would fair better, but it could account for the venom not acting as quickly. Someone of a smaller stature would probably feel the effects sooner.
There are also factors involved such as heart rate, blood pressure and fitness among others.
[doublepost=1517543196,1517542883][/doublepost]While we are talking about snake bites....
Has anyone heard anything recently about the older gentleman that worked at one of the venom collection labs in Australia that was injecting himself with micro-doses of Brown Snake venom in an attempt to condition his body if ever bitten?
I saw the story about ten years ago but haven't heard anything since.
It would be interesing to find out if he was successful in his trials.

While we are talking about snake bites....
Has anyone heard anything recently about the older gentleman that worked at one of the venom collection labs in Australia that was injecting himself with micro-doses of Brown Snake venom in an attempt to condition his body if ever bitten?
I saw the story about ten years ago but haven't heard anything since.
It would be interesing to find out if he was successful in his trials.
Heard about a guy in America injecting himself with venom since he was very young and apparently most snake venom has little to no effect on him now? Sounds quite fishy though.

Heard about a guy in America injecting himself with venom since he was very young and apparently most snake venom has little to no effect on him now? Sounds quite fishy though.
It isn't really that fishy, more snakey I believe...
On a serious note it is really no different to when we get immunised, you take a small amount of a toxin, introduce it to the body regularly and your immune system builds a defence to it.

It isn't really that fishy, more snakey I believe...
On a serious note it is really no different to when we get immunised, you take a small amount of a toxin, introduce it to the body regularly and your immune system builds a defence to it.
Yes, but how did he get access to so much venom?? He reckons hes been doing it on a regular basis since he was young and now hes in his 40's of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back